My experience of working for amazon

Gripes, moans, whines and complaints - get it off your chest!
Big-G

Post by Big-G »

you don't actually work for amazon , they have several Service Partners in a depot ours had about 8-9 different companies in it so it was jam packed all the time.

the staff who work for amazon look down on you like you're scum and talk to you even worse , stand and bark at you to hurry up while your sorting your trolley which you only have 27 minutes to do ( the attitude is that you have to chuck it in and sort it outside )

the trolleys are pre loaded by nightshift agency workers so expect lots of mis-sorts or missing parcels and usually weren't ready until 10 am at the latest

Guaranteed your van will be packed from floor to roof aswell as packages in front with you , including having parcels marked "team lift" so having it in order is needed , i struggled for space in a swb vauxhall vivaro

anything from 100 parcels on a quiet day to over 200 on a busy day , all based around a 10hr shift even though you start at 8am and the latest amazon expect you to deliver to is 10pm if you had endless tenements then you were screwed especially if they were all top floors as they expect about 12 drops an hour then hound you if you slow down

if you finished early then you were expected to help out another driver e.g. take 10-20 parcels off them

the computers , DORA's they were referred to were a joke , the old intermec ones were either handed to you half charged or the charging cradle didn't work , were prone to crashing.

the new Symbol ones were touchscreen only ,the scanners on them only worked %50 of the time at first you weren't given a charger as they claimed the battery lasted all day and still crashed

the routing and manifests were pre loaded onto the dora but from seattle
no paper copy as a backup

the maps were out of date , if you had a new build housing estate then forget it , the navigation frequently took you to wrong locations , i had mine tell me i had arrived at my stop on the edinburgh city bypass and once on a roundabout

if you managed to get to a location and you find it won't allow you to deliver as the geocode is wrong so you need to phone the call centre for a reset which is actually in india

me personally i was delivering parcels and getting later and later in returning to the depot and the queue for the debrief desk if miles long with one member off staff on it , say if you did your last drop at 8pm its about 45mins to an hour to get back to the depot at say 9pm then stand in a queue for an hour or so then i wasn't getting home till after 10 pm one night i dint get back till midnight then up at 6am to get ready to be at the depot at 8am

during some bad weather i slipped and twisted my knee and was told to soldier on even though climbing into the van was a nightmare I've also had to finish my route with my back door tied shut with cable as the wind caught it and twisted the hinges on it , trying to work from the side door is a nightmare especially if your van is packed tight

amazon is not for everyone , i thing if your new to courier work its gonna overwhelm you even some experienced guys got stressed doing it

Big-G

Re: My experience of working for amazon

Post by Big-G »

oh may i add in that if you got a concession e.g customer complaint after three in a week you were pulled in for re-programming sorry unpaid re-training

Barry Ward Bristol

Re: My experience of working for amazon

Post by Barry Ward Bristol »

Had exactly the same experience this time last year
Barry
Tel: 07831447764