Courier auction sites

Gripes, moans, whines and complaints - get it off your chest!
kenny99

Courier auction sites

Post by kenny99 »

Has anyone on here had any experience or viewed the likes of Shiply,Anyvan,Uship and their like.I have spent a day at home in the office and earlier i had a browse through these sites and i just cannot believe just how stupid some people are!!! You wont believe it but some of these guys are taking cars and caravans from Surrey up to Glasgow and beyond for like 120 quid,and some for even less.I live in Leicester and i know for a fact that from there to Glasgow even taking it steady you want 75 quid in fuel,more like a oner with a van on the back and i know because i deliver and export vehicles.

What i would like to know is am i missing something here in terms of where any profit is going to come from because even having a backload down for the same price wouldnt be worth getting out of bed for.Failing that,packing out the van with a few ebay drops still wouldnt make more than a few quid for what could be up to 2 days work,i for one just dont get it

Jack Bridgestone

Re: Courier auction sites

Post by Jack Bridgestone »

It takes some folks longer than others to understand that earning £100 with £100 expenses doesn't add up in the long run!
A man is most accurately judged by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or to reciprocate

kenny99

Post by kenny99 »

Yes thats just it,spot on but theres not just one or two doing it there are legions of these have ago delivery guys running their vehicles into the ground (and many of their vans are already knackered before they start) for pennies,and to be honest i cannot see them having proper insurance either.

GJC

Post by GJC »

Those people are not a COURIER, they are a man with a van, just look to fill up a van with as many items as possible. I will be staying well clear of those sites.

Gary
GJC Express Courier

kenny99

Post by kenny99 »

I dont blame you,i mean two pallets of fizzy drinks,got to weigh a tonne apeice from Portsmouth to Bradford for 67 quid!!!!!

HLDExpress

Post by HLDExpress »

I've just stopped looking through these altogether. All the ads are from people with no ratings, some of the prices are a joke (don't even cover fuel) and if you do have the best bid on a job at a decent price, it just sits there as whoever put it up has had the job done and don't bother taking it down when they don't need it.
Also, some of the listings are dodgy. "Chest of Drawers" only. No sizes or anything (could be bed-side or Buckingham Palace size) and if you ask a question, you never get a reply.

Having much more luck cruising down the Ind. Est. (during daylight hours :wink: ) and actually speaking to people.

Mike George
I used to be somebody

Post by Mike George »

Some people seem to take the Mary Whitehouse approach - keep avidly watching in case you miss something you don't like. If it upsets you, don't look at those sites. :confused:

HLD's approach seems like the best idea.

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!

kenny99

Post by kenny99 »

HLD,s approach is a good idea,i dont think you can beat actually turning up, putting yourself about and showing your face at business premises,you just never know what might come of it.However i brought this topic up because i think in some ways it affects us all especially if some of the bigger distribution companies are using these sites as a way of getting cheap labour.

Mike George
I used to be somebody

Post by Mike George »

kenny99 wrote:if some of the bigger distribution companies are using these sites as a way of getting cheap labour.
I'm sure they are, and there are plenty of people willing to cut their own throats to keep them in business.

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!

kenny99

Post by kenny99 »

I think they are,and that brings me to my main point on the issue of these so-called courier auction sites.When these man and van types have run up and down the country for pennies,when they have ran their vehicles into the ground,when they have either gone bust or jacked-in because they cannot make a living,they leave the courier/transport marketplace in a worse state than they found it and all their own doing.Its nothing short of a complete lack of understanding in terms of courier/transport business activity,so much so that it erodes the industry rather than helps to build a active,healthy and competitive market.

We are a family run transport company that consists of 8 people so its only small,but we also export and carry out our own brokering.Hence i spend more time in the office now-days than out on the road,but i can remember years ago turning up at places like Gist and TNT when one of their regulars had gone sick,sorting 50-60 packages in drop order for post codes i hadnt a clue about,its not easy and i wouldnt do it now for any price but you need hard graft to get on your feet as a courier and these auction sites are not the answer to developing a thriving business.

MACK

Post by MACK »

I work for my mate at weekends he takes some removals off these sites

What a Ferkern shambles everytime I don't care I agree a rate for a days labour and I will work like a dog Most of the time its a big mess !! Customers under estimating sizes nothing ready because he never agree packing and we end up getting another luton more people its a joke !!

When he has a private customer of his own he goes around has a look prices it properly and its as smooth as clockwork with good money on the job .

Another time another bloke on the ship site sent out a pallet 200 kgs without checking if there was a fork lift when he got to western he had to get 8 blokes from the football club to help get it off
These site are a comedy you don't need to watch tv for a laugh
No job to small .........but many too big

kenny99

Post by kenny99 »

Trouble is the customer wants it doing for next to nowt,those removals get done for a couple of hundred,to hire a second Luton out means your profits gone straight away after you have been paid so whats the point? He cannot be making a penny on the jobs in fact they must be costing him money.I think another problem is that a lot of foreigners have jumped on the removals business,the man and van work,they come and go after finding out working for nothing dont pay the bills.

rooksnapper

Post by rooksnapper »

I've seen some of these sites, they are best left well alone.

kenny99

Post by kenny99 »

Theres a couple of the exchanges that are not bad,Shed 5 and the like but you cannot use them as a means to an end for example just earning a living because you wont.What the exchanges do is allow you to make contacts and network,you have to use an exchange in more than one way to make it worthwhile,having said that they can bring you in some work if you use them correctly.

nickyboy4

Post by nickyboy4 »

I'm in Leicester and I buy and sell motorbikes, if i'm going up to Glasgow to pick up a 1200 Bandit because i know it's a £300 profit, why wouldn't i stick a caravan on the back and take an easy £100 ish? I'm going anyway and can just get a little cream on top for doing next to nothing.
It's like everything..different strokes etc!

Bob Johnson

Post by Bob Johnson »

nickyboy4 wrote:I'm in Leicester and I buy and sell motorbikes, if i'm going up to Glasgow to pick up a 1200 Bandit because i know it's a £300 profit, why wouldn't i stick a caravan on the back and take an easy £100 ish? I'm going anyway and can just get a little cream on top for doing next to nothing.
It's like everything..different strokes etc!
Because you would need a tacho for starters

nickyboy4

Post by nickyboy4 »

I'm assuming you do things the correct way then with the correct insurances and adhering to your vehicle weight limits?
Sadly we're living in a world where a lot of people don't and it's hard for the honest ones amongst us to compete. I had a team of Lithuanians collect two bikes off me last week in a lwb sprinter, 6 in the van and two on the trailer with 3 passengers, two of the bikes i saw weigh in at 750kg between them-doesn't need a mathematician to work out they were seriously overweight!

Bob Johnson

Post by Bob Johnson »

nickyboy4 wrote:I'm assuming you do things the correct way then with the correct insurances and adhering to your vehicle weight limits?
Yes of course, like all the other non-cowboys on here who would consider themselves professional drivers, those who value their license and livelihood.

If you don't run correctly I hope you get caught. I hope you get fined. Lots.

nickyboy4

Post by nickyboy4 »

I have to run correctly as i use quite an old Transit and they tend to be magnets for the law, the fact is whether you like it or not you are competing with people who don't give a damn about the law!

Quick Step

Post by Quick Step »

nickyboy4 wrote:the fact is whether you like it or not you are competing with people who don't give a damn about the law!
Well, the sooner they're caught the better for the rest of us who abide by the rules.
Once an OD, now an employed Courier