Lorries

Gripes, moans, whines and complaints - get it off your chest!
CaddyPete

Lorries

Post by CaddyPete »

Hasn't it GOT to be about time lorries were banned from overtaking?

Has nobody told them that not all of us get PAID for every minute we spend on the road. I understand it must be different when you're behind the wheel of one but come on, we don't need to sit behind you for five miles while you do it. Also, if they've limited lorries to 80kph.... why didn't they limit them all to the same 80kph? why do they have a variation at all? Is it because they cant limit them so accurately or has some idiot at Sainsbury's decided that if we remap the vehicles to 78kph, they can save some money....

:x :x

Bob Johnson

Re: Lorries

Post by Bob Johnson »

Because some are loaded, some aren't, some pull faster up hills, some don't

Just because some idiots overtake and are inconsiderate, doesn't mean they all are

CaddyPete

Post by CaddyPete »

Don't you think that the fault lies with the people limiting these things then? Surely limiting vehicles to a speed they are always capable of - ie uphill, downhill, loaded or unloaded - would be a better solution. They do it for euro emissions don't they - set a limit and then make truck manufacturers build to that spec...

CaddyPete

Post by CaddyPete »

Maybe its just as i'm on the A1.. I guess with a 3 or 4 lane road you wouldn't notice as much but with the A1, all it seems to have done is turned the whole road to a 56mph road

Jack Bridgestone

Post by Jack Bridgestone »

The best drivers could be considered as having the most experience especially with different vehicles. i.e. holding a car, HGV and motorcycle licence. Having covered many miles professionally using each you become more tolerable of other road users and of course more understanding and aware of your own vehicle in almost all situations and the capabilities of each said vehicle in circumstances ahead of you.
So....... knowing an HGV can take up to 15 minutes to creep up and pass the vehicle ahead some consideration for these drivers should be given. You are taught to slow a little and let the HGV in once alongside you but it doesn't always happen. I've been in situations where I've been overtaking and the other guy speeds up a little to keep you out there. Frustrating but you get idiots driving all sorts of vehicles.
Can't ban overtaking, limiting all HGVs to the slowest truck on the road.
Just remember one thing, after squashing you (whether you in right or wrong) they could claim they didn't see you!
Be Careful out there !
Last edited by Jack Bridgestone on Thursday 29 August 2013, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
A man is most accurately judged by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or to reciprocate

ray valentine

Post by ray valentine »

I thought they were limited to 90KPH or less, but of course the tyres circumference will alter as the tyres wear, and of course HGV have a speed limit of 60 MPH on motorways.
One of the problems is that you can be an idiot and pass a HGV test, so you will get drivers who find they can pass on the down hill sections but do not have the ability to see that the next section is up hill so they can not Finnish the overtake.
The biggest problem is not cars vans or lorries, it is just that there is too much traffic and not enough road.
Ray Valentine Refrigerated Vans. The Experienced Norfolk based
Temperature Controlled Courier.

Jack Bridgestone

Post by Jack Bridgestone »

Most are governed to 56mph but average top speeds vary typically between 50mph and 65mph from my experience.
A man is most accurately judged by how he treats those who are not in a position either to retaliate or to reciprocate

ray valentine

Post by ray valentine »

Jack Bridgestone wrote:Most are governed to 56mph but average top speeds vary typically between 50mph and 65mph from my experience.
Yes i will agree with that, before we had limiters i would regularly have the needle up to 70mph and once or twice as far up the dial as it would go. (On the TK that was 100mph, but it was a long time ago and i may be remembering that wrong).

MK BIKER

Post by MK BIKER »

You used to take your life in your hands years ago when driving the A75 years ago, its the road to the ferry for Ireland, quite often especially at night you'd have an Irish Lorry overtaking you well in excess of 70mph, a brown trouser moment if ever there was one :shock:

ray valentine

Post by ray valentine »

MK BIKER wrote:You used to take your life in your hands years ago when driving the A75 years ago, its the road to the ferry for Ireland, quite often especially at night you'd have an Irish Lorry overtaking you well in excess of 70mph, a brown trouser moment if ever there was one :shock:
The Dukes of hazard, i remember it well.

brummieadam

Post by brummieadam »

the M42 has 2 lanes with restricted times for over taking from lorrys , this means at 7-7 there in a line filling the inside lane , the effect is slightly odd to say the least . firstly it can be very hard to push your way in to get to slip roads as they become nose to tail , the right hand lane still goes as fast as the slowest car which can be near dam it the same as lorry speeds as grandad who last overtook something in 1974 finds the needle creep upto a heady 61 mph as will the now mile long queue behind him as he trundles onwards overtaking mile after mile of lorrys on the inside lane , you can help but think at least the trucks got out the way from time to time , as a rule it doesnt half help the traffic shift along but it takes 1 person to mess it up and there seems to be plenty of those 1 persons out there , if grandads popped to the garden centre you can have a flyer , if not then ........

slim

Post by slim »

I'd run with the motorway full of grandads every day if it meant the demise of the lunatic boy racers.

Grandads become grandads for good reason.

Regards
Recent Grandad and 60mph aficionado.
By working faithfully eight hours a day you may eventually get to be the boss and work twelve hours a day.

EnsonExpress

Post by EnsonExpress »

slim wrote:Grandads become grandads for good reason.
Because we were taught spelling and grammar? And how to use the odd capital letter to begin sentences? And paragraphs and stuff?

Regards, war baby, long standing Grandad and 61mph maniacal aficionado. :wave:
Dennis
Renault Kangoo with carpeted floor and folding bulkhead. 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.4m.
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).

MK BIKER

Post by MK BIKER »

Oh and most got driving licences given to them

Don't deny it

Mike George
I used to be somebody

Post by Mike George »

MK BIKER wrote:Oh and most got driving licences given to them

Don't deny it
I don't think there are many of those left ::D:

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!

slim

Post by slim »

Liz.
By working faithfully eight hours a day you may eventually get to be the boss and work twelve hours a day.

EnsonExpress

Post by EnsonExpress »

Mike George wrote:

Don't deny it
Don't look at me! I paid BSM £6 for my 6 driving lessons and passed first time (without flattening the bloke in front with the flag - fail if you hit him, pass if you don't).
Dennis
Renault Kangoo with carpeted floor and folding bulkhead. 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.4m.
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).

slim

Post by slim »

I was 'born' into this game.....my very first lesson took me round Trafalgar Square.

MK BIKER

Post by MK BIKER »

Mike George wrote:

Don't deny it
My dad passed his test on a milk float, apparently he didn't even know the test had started.

Mike George
I used to be somebody

Post by Mike George »

MK BIKER wrote:
Mike George wrote:

Don't deny it
My dad passed his test on a milk float, apparently he didn't even know the test had started.
So the examiner just said giddy-up and off they went?

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!

MK BIKER

Post by MK BIKER »

Mike George wrote: So the examiner just said giddy-up and off they went?

Neigh!

AjSidneyco.com

Post by AjSidneyco.com »

I passed my test in lgv 1 about 15 years ago and just retook my first medical for it to be renewed but have to confess to only driving an artic for a week before i packed it in. I believe their are easier ways to earn a living and not have another road-users death on your hands.
The complacency of other road users beggars belief, their arrogance , their assumption and above all their stupidity. These wagons do not stop on a sixpence or turn like a car they are 45 tonne of metal travelling at nearly 60mph. we have all seen the results on the roads when they do not stop....it is death and carnage.
To be paid £9 an hour to manoeuvre these pieces of junk around the country requires skill and to ban overtaking is plain stupid, have you ever driven in belgium or germany? as they have time limited overtaking and it results in 20mph tailbacks of lorry after lorry stuck behind a big heavy one in the slow lane and then 10-20-30 vehicle collisions.
the only sensible option would be to deliver in the hours of darkness but that is never going to happen as nobody wants to be in the stores/warehouses at those hours to unload.

what needs to happen is a tougher driving test for all foreign lorry drivers when they pop over here at the weekends to clean up because our bone idle british work force are either too lazy to put the hours in or increase the hourly rate and stop all the bullshitt laws that restrict lorry drivers from earning a living.
i would also make companies employ drivers and have them treated as an important member of the team rather than treated like 2nd class citizens and stop using agency drivers that care about nothing else other than getting home asap.

rant over
hands up who likes comics?
http://www.webfluid.co.uk