Citysprint

Gripes, moans, whines and complaints - get it off your chest!
Alec

Re: Citysprint

Post by Alec »

EnsonExpress wrote:
Alec Because I used other peoples' 20p/mile, I would not challenge too greatly your 17-19p/mile EXCEPT that you haven't taken account of replacement cost and with your figure of 2,000 miles a week (which I think is difficult to achieve consistently). A new van at £10,000 in two years adds 5p a mile to the 17-19, so long as it doesn't suffer high cost repairs at that level of mileage.
I didn't actually mention buying a van, and if I did it wouldn't be costing me £5,000 a year. My costings include all vehicle acquisition costs.
And "come back completely empty"? How many times have we heard the mantra "Don't rely on back loads" and the other mantra "You'll get as many back loads as you'll find rocking horse poo". I'm a subby, pure and simple, out there on my lonesome in my van, which is not a mobile office, relying on other people to give me work. I can't remember the last time I got a back load. I can't remember the last time I had the opportunity to get out my mobile phone or iPad to ring round or search the internet to try finding a back load when I was on a loading bay in some town when I'd finished unloading, or whilst on the road to a destination. For two hours either side of my double yellow lines delivery yesterday, I was bumper to bumper with London traffic. Mobile phone or iPad for back loads? Not a chance! I sometimes add my journeys on Shed 5, but with London you can't reliably estimate when you'll clear - it was an hour late yesterday.
As a Warrington-based subby, and without the aid exchanges, mobile internet I did London every day for almost 2 years. I usually had at least one job going down and at least one coming back - at various rates. No dodgy co-loads, just intelligent utilisation of my journey and being open to make new contacts, both inside and outside the company I was mainly subcontracting to.

Lidl don't really make any money from selling baked beans at 10p a tin you know, it's the extra business they build on top of that 10p a tin that makes their profits.

EnsonExpress

Post by EnsonExpress »

Did you know that HMRC allows me to claim 45p/mile for the first 10,000 miles and 25p/mile for subsequent miles. They are not generally renowned for giving excessive allowances. Any way you look at it, that's more than 20p/mile, innit?
Dennis
Renault Kangoo with carpeted floor and folding bulkhead. 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.4m.
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).

nads

Post by nads »

Enson, There are too many variables to estimate the added cost on top of fuel. At the moment at 30 mpg a Transit will cost 18 p, some will challenge that. My starting point is 30 p all in . I have a Luton tail lift and that is 40 p.

It seems you think a Transit will cost more than 30 p , that's fine, you could well be right. I know a courier who bought a Relay on an 05 plate a few years ago for 2.5 k, only 50 k miles genuine, but scruffy but sound. He did 350 k then wrote it off uninsured the other day. Even though he was way under on cost of van, he still thought it necessary to lie to his insurers about his profession and got found out.

You are right, getting a living wage as a subbie is difficult. That's why I do other things which tie in with it.

I think I have a good enough picture now about CS although new feedback would be welcome of course.

You can tear into me as much as you like, I have very broad shoulders and a very strong chin. I fought Mark Kaylor , British Middleweight Champion and he didn't lay a glove on me, I beat two most promising young boxers in their counties and decked the ABA champion. I had a Gypsy begging for mercy the other week, pinned down on the road with his head pushed into the tarmac with an audience of drivers who had stopped and got out their cars to watch, he had stolen from me and was paying the price.

So tear away Enson, I am a bit of a tearaway myself and can take a lot of punishment, thing is, I always come back fighting, even in my advanced years of 55.

I think we have enough info on CS to back up

EnsonExpress

Post by EnsonExpress »

Bob Johnson wrote:I'm sorry Enson, but you are being a right dick with some of your comments. As far as I can see, you've jumped to some illogical conclusion and are adamant that you are right. What would someone achieve pretending to be in this situation, it just doesn't make any sense!
Do you still stand by this Bob?
Dennis
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).

Alec

Post by Alec »

EnsonExpress wrote:Did you know that HMRC allows me to claim 45p/mile for the first 10,000 miles and 25p/mile for subsequent miles. They are not generally renowned for giving excessive allowances. Any way you look at it, that's more than 20p/mile, innit?
That allowance isn't particularly aimed at couriers though, it's for all people using their own vehicles for business purposes - nurses, VAT inspectors, surveyors etc. - they vastly outnumber the number of couriers with small vans and they do far lower mileages. The lower the mileage, the higher the cost per mile - if you were doing 1,000 miles per week instead of 2,000 your cost per mile would increase substantially because your fixed costs would be spread over less miles. The HMRC allowance is just a broad-brush allowance that can be taken advantage of by high-mileage couriers with small vans.

nads

Post by nads »

I used the 45 / 25 system for a brief period, for a small van it will work if you can get away with it. It worked ok for my Relay until fuel prices rocketed so I scrapped it .

My accountant claims 10 quid a day food and drink I think MPs claim 70.

I am flat rate VAT , saves time, not sure about money.

Bob Johnson

Post by Bob Johnson »

EnsonExpress wrote:
Bob Johnson wrote:I'm sorry Enson, but you are being a right dick with some of your comments. As far as I can see, you've jumped to some illogical conclusion and are adamant that you are right. What would someone achieve pretending to be in this situation, it just doesn't make any sense!
Do you still stand by this Bob?
Well a little, I see no evidence that he is making up being a courier. But I fear I may have some incoming humble pie I need to dispose off. :redface:

Rwill

Post by Rwill »

nads wrote:
And just out of interest for your flat rate are you registered as a courier/light haulier or an antiques dealer or a pugilist?

nads

Post by nads »

If my imagination at making up stories is so good, maybe I should become an author.

What's so hard to believe ? Ok how about this one to make you laugh.

This morning I spoke on the phone, Facebook and email to a Times newspaper reporter about an art collection by a famous painter I just bought at auction for 7 k. They are researching right now and may be interested in covering it.

A few years ago one painting sold for one million by an artist of equal popularity and fame from the 1960s. The artists name is J H Lynch, the other is Vladimir Tretchikoff. I have 23 original signed JH Lynch paintings. Do a Google search on the names to bring up images and info.
If the Times take this story who knows, it could be my Del Boy moment. They have asked me not to approach any other papers.

So, do you believe this, or should I include it in my next novel ?

EnsonExpress

Post by EnsonExpress »

Bob Johnson wrote:I see no evidence that he is making up being a courier.
C'mon, Bob. Do you see any evidence that he IS a courier? I have a feeling his real name may be Walter Mitty and he's just updated to spending his days on the internet. :)
Dennis
07903 129 445

Bob Johnson

Post by Bob Johnson »

Rwill wrote:
nads wrote:
And just out of interest for your flat rate are you registered as a courier/light haulier or an antiques dealer or a pugilist?
Anyone know if you can you mix margin VAT applicable sales within flat rate?

Bob Johnson

Post by Bob Johnson »

EnsonExpress wrote:
Bob Johnson wrote:I see no evidence that he is making up being a courier.
C'mon, Bob. Do you see any evidence that he IS a courier? I have a feeling his real name may be Walter Mitty and he's just updated to spending his days on the internet. :)
I also see no reason why anyone would do it? What would it achieve?

Boasting about boxing reminds me of someone who definitely is a knob...

EnsonExpress

Post by EnsonExpress »

nads wrote:So, do you believe this, or should I include it in my next novel ?
Yes. But remember you've already done the "Robin the Caring Courier buys world-famous antique pint pot, wins the undisputed world middleweight title and beats the s**t out of a robbing Gippo baron, whilst saving all the downtrodden couriers in Sherwood Forest".

Next title suggestion - something about buying the picture of the Madonna with the big boobies to give to the benevolent fund of the downtrodden rabbits society for them to buy a new High Speed Train to run on his newly designed route from Spalding to Clitheroe transporting his famed pork pies.

But FFS go find another forum to publish it.
Dennis
07903 129 445

EnsonExpress

Post by EnsonExpress »

Bob Johnson wrote:
Rwill wrote:
nads wrote:
nads knows.
Dennis
07903 129 445

EnsonExpress

Post by EnsonExpress »

Bob Johnson wrote:I also see no reason why anyone would do it? What would it achieve?
I see no reason why somebody has tipped over the flower displays in our town centre - what would it achieve?
Dennis
07903 129 445

Bob Johnson

Post by Bob Johnson »

EnsonExpress wrote:
Bob Johnson wrote:I also see no reason why anyone would do it? What would it achieve?
I see no reason why somebody has tipped over the flower displays in our town centre - what would it achieve?
In the minds of stupid people it achieves a few minutes of fun.

But the thought process of joining a courier forum, to pretend to be a courier, only to slag off a company in which there would be no interest? If you don't work in the industry you probably have no idea who City Sprint are, and even less knowledge of how they would work

nads

Post by nads »

Just because I have a colourful life doesn't mean it's not true.

Do you really think I make this stuff up . Go onto Up the junction antiques on Facebook, that's my shop, you will see the paintings on there. Then look at J H Lynch on Google and compare.

Tomorrow I have a job from M Keynes to Lincoln, then down to Reading. Anyone want to meet me to check my story, I'll bring about 50 pod books with me if you like to show my work record.

I was not boasting about boxing , I was showing an example of my resilience, I don't give up.

Once again the moderator invites me to post elsewhere, jeez there are precious few contributors on here and he's trying to get rid of one.

Rwill

Post by Rwill »

Bob Johnson wrote:
Rwill wrote:
nads wrote:
No you cant and the rates applicable would be:

Courier 10%

Antique Dealer 7.5%

Boxer 8.5%

And of course you cant be in the flat rate scheme if your turnover exceeds £150k but if you are vat registered Vat applies to all turnover from all business activities of an individual or company.

Getting a long way from Citysprint aren't we?

Alec

Post by Alec »

Rwill wrote:
nads wrote:I want to establish the current opinion of CS as a company. They will drag themselves down , they are precarious already. Their financial backer is getting twitchy after a 1.3 mil profit for a years turnover of around 130 million. January this year an overview hinted at CS being off loaded.

The trend in the past is not good with all drivers and staff from previous company leaving PDQ. I have friends in the middle of a takeover , should they be worried. ?
You must be reading different papers to me in their last reported accounts their profits rose to £12.3 million for the year.
The accounts of the parent company, Citysprint (UK) Group Ltd are interesting.

Alec

Post by Alec »

Rwill wrote:

Courier 10%

Antique Dealer 7.5%

Boxer 8.5%

And of course you cant be in the flat rate scheme if your turnover exceeds £150k but if you are vat registered Vat applies to all turnover from all business activities of an individual or company.
You can't split it, you have to decide on your main business sector (by turnover) and apply that rate to everything.

Bob

Post by Bob »

EnsonExpress wrote:
Bob wrote:Hi guys,
just starting as self employed courier.
CS pays now 46pplm for a small van (Kangoo).
Don't know yet how I am gonna make it :(.
Is it worth to be VAT registered?
Here's some stuff...

Whether you are VAT registered or not, 46pplm will not make enough difference to save you and your family.

On Bristol's buses, they have an advert saying you can earn £430 a week driving this bus.

So let's take an easy target of £460 a week. Now, at 46pplm, you'll need to do 1,000 miles to make £460. But that's loaded miles and you have to get back empty. So you'll have to do 2,000 miles to earn £460. That's assuming your van costs you nothing to buy, nothing to insure, doesn't ever need servicing and runs on fresh air. That's fine, innit? But 2,000 miles in a 5 day week is 400 miles a day - if you're extremely lucky, you'll average 50mph, so that's only 8 hours a day. Sensible people on here reckon a Kangoo costs at least 20p a mile to run (but not including enough spare to buy a new van some time), so half the 46 is 23p a mile and you make 3p a mile round trip (if you're lucky enough not to have to drive empty to and from the pickup point). That means you'll have to drive 15,333 miles a week to make £460 - at 50mph that's 307 hours, or 13 days a week. You wouldn't have to be doing sleep or food.

Yesterday, I did a delivery from Bristol to TopShop in Oxford Street, London. Left home at 1.30pm and got back home at 7.45pm. Six and a quarter hours, one of the best runs I've ever done to London. Total mileage driven, 253, loaded miles paid 121. Not at 46pplm! Average 40.48mph (and I do 70 on the M4)

Today, I did a delivery from Bristol to Ormond Street Hospital in London. Left home 9.30am, got back 5pm. Seven and a half hours, pretty average. Total mileage driven, 243, loaded miles paid 120. Average 32.4mph.

If you had done those two jobs at 46pplm, the total you'd have taken home would be £55.66 for yesterday and £55.20 for today. Repeated all week would give say £275. Is that enough to pay your rent, food, electric, etc? But ooops - we forgot you'd have running costs of 1,250 miles at 20p = £250. Is £25 enough to meet your weekly bills? But ooops, we forgot that CS charge for uniform, van signs, tracker, every week, don't they. And if you averaged 10 miles a day unpaid to pickup point, that'd be another £10 off the week's earnings.

Or in other words, if you haven't already done it, don't sign up with them. Try Royal Mail Sameday and TNT - their pay is also lousy, but slightly better then CS, so you won't starve quite as fast.
Thanks, are there any other companies I could try (with white Kangoo and no experience)?
If not VAT registered, what costs can I claim and how?
Sorry but I am really new in this business.

Bob Johnson

Post by Bob Johnson »

Alec wrote:
Rwill wrote:

Courier 10%

Antique Dealer 7.5%

Boxer 8.5%

You can't split it, you have to decide on your main business sector (by turnover) and apply that rate to everything.
I understand that point, but margin VAT is for items where no input tax can be claimed back (buying a non-VAT van for example), and the VAT is paid on the difference. I assume that the margin VAT scheme is only applicable to those generally on the standard scheme?