You can help overcome loneliness for isolated people

Diaries, blogs, stories about courier life, reports and pics of interesting trips, and general helpful stuff about traveling
Mike George
I used to be somebody

You can help overcome loneliness for isolated people

Post by Mike George »

I'm setting up a new initiative using Twitter to help overcome loneliness in elderly, housebound and isolated people, and you can help by spending just a few minutes now and again.

It doesn't need anybody to post a lot of tweets, just a lot of people to post one tweet when they've got time.

Next time you see an interesting sight or a beautiful view that you want to share, or anything interesting happens on your travels, tweet it (preferably with a picture) on your usual Twitter account - but don't forget to include the hashtag #RoadPals somewhere in the tweet.

That's all there is to it. I will also make sure the tweets get retweeted by the @RoadPals account.

I have been talking to the charity Contact the Elderly, who will help spread the word when the first few tweets have been posted, and I will be talking to other organisations which support elderly or isolated people.

You might think your driving days are boring, but just one interesting post a year can make a big difference to the people who read it.

bob harrison

Re: You can help overcome loneliness for isolated people

Post by bob harrison »

That's a really good idea,i watched a tv programme on loneliness last week it is very sad,some people don't speak to anyone for weeks,so well done for taking the time to do this. Cheers Bob :wave:
every days an adventure,

Mike George
I used to be somebody

Post by Mike George »

Thanks Bob, there are two tweets already ::D:

Loneliness is a serious problem for many older people especially. As The Who said "I hope I get old before I die" (or something like that) but Only the Lonely know how it feels. :rolleyes:

Mike George
I used to be somebody

Post by Mike George »

After an initial flurry of activity it's settled down to just a couple of people tweeting for this - and I'm very grateful to them for their support.

I don't think I've got any actual old fogeys following it yet but I am now starting to make more contacts and spreading the word through the relevant organisations, so it would be really helpful if we could have a few more tweets to draw people in.

The people this is aimed at are not all old, they could be lonely, isolated or housebound (or hospital-bound) for other reasons. They also won't all be ex-drivers, so any pictures of anything you find interesting, or snippets from your journeys, would be good candidates.

You just have to add the hashtag #roadpals to anything you want to share and I'll take care of retweeting it. :blahblah:

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!

HATT

Post by HATT »

There are community transport organisations all over the country.I've just finished driving a minibus for my local charity.I older people I picked up were taken to a local supermarket. The first thing they did was have a coffee and natter.On the way home they would be chatting to each other(mainly food related subjects).

markvincent

Post by markvincent »

Mike George wrote:Thanks Bob, there are two tweets already ::D:

Loneliness is a serious problem for many older people especially. As The Who said "I hope I get old before I die" (or something like that) but Only the Lonely know how it feels. :rolleyes:
I think the who song went "I hope I die before I get old"