TomTom Live

Satnav, GPS, mobile phones, mobile internet, sound and vision...
M&P

TomTom Live

Post by M&P »

Had to renew the live services @ £47.50 per year. Quick rummage online for a discount code, entered my VAT number and hey presto it's down to £32 something. Happy days ::D:
Whoever said 'nothing is impossible' obviously hadn't tried slamming a revolving door

lancs-responder

Re: TomTom Live

Post by lancs-responder »

Come on then - share the link!!
Time to renew in 28 days, so the damn thing keeps telling me!

bramble43
Site owner

Post by bramble43 »

Same for garmin. Lifetime update was something like £69 from garmin but you can buy cards online for the same licence is £49 ish
Motorcycle courier, same day / direct / timed, Nationwide and across Europe - Contact details on profile. Call or text for a quote.

M&P

Post by M&P »

TTMRGBP8 was the discount code for £8 off, enter a valid VAT no. and it's charged as 0% instead of 20%

http://www.hotukdeals.com/vouchers/tomtom.com
Whoever said 'nothing is impossible' obviously hadn't tried slamming a revolving door

AjSidneyco.com

Post by AjSidneyco.com »

my live subscription ran out on monday and i have got home earlier on both yesterday and today without it!!

dont think i will bother with it for a while as it seems to spend so much time off line i am not prepared to spend 40 quid on renewing it to be honest.

Answer me this are IQ routes dependant on a live feed/subscription?
hands up who likes comics?
http://www.webfluid.co.uk

MK BIKER

Post by MK BIKER »

IQ has nothing to do with Live, IQ infomation is added to your unit when you connect it up to the computer, although the sat nav may have "learnt" routes whilst you had a live subsbscription

Darren
Poster Roller

Post by Darren »

AjSidneyco.com wrote:my live subscription ran out on monday and i have got home earlier on both yesterday and today without it!!

dont think i will bother with it for a while as it seems to spend so much time off line i am not prepared to spend 40 quid on renewing it to be honest.

Answer me this are IQ routes dependant on a live feed/subscription?

With all the money you have to spend on top up engine Oil, £40 is a lot to splash out at once :lol: :lol: :lol:

EnsonExpress

Post by EnsonExpress »

AjSidneyco.com wrote: Answer me this are IQ routes dependant on a live feed/subscription?
MK BIKER wrote:IQ has nothing to do with Live, IQ infomation is added to your unit when you connect it up to the computer, although the sat nav may have "learnt" routes whilst you had a live subsbscription
It is not live feed or subscription dependant. IQ Routes is historic data collected by TT from user's satnavs when they connect to their computers and the TT website uploads it. Usually a year old, it is embedded into a map when you buy a new map for your satnav. The IQ Routes data will not change during the lifetime of that map. The IQ Routes will not refresh and will not learn from your driving habits. It is limited to routes for which TomTom have gathered data, so they have no IQ Routes data for the road re-opened last month with a new long straight dual carriageway instead of a meandering A road through the countryside. And they have no data for that side road which you know is a damn sight faster than the long A road round it.

My opinion - it's a waste of time and TomTom would be far better engaged by including proper data on road classification differences, so that the satnav can distinguish between Motorways, fast dual carriageways, A roads, B roads, C roads, D roads and unclassified tracks etc, etc. Instead of which, over the years, they have gradually reduced the details on their maps so that the nav instructions are deteriorating. For example, it's often telling us to keep right so as to not drive through a layby or down a farm track? Not far from my home, I am now always told to turn left (or turn right in the opposite direction) in order to not drive into a farmyard or a cattery. On a five year old map I was left to stay on the road.
Dennis
Renault Kangoo with carpeted floor and folding bulkhead. 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.4m.
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).

MK BIKER

Post by MK BIKER »

I've been very impressed when I used the IQ system on my sat nav (I don't need the live on the bike ;-) )

AjSidneyco.com

Post by AjSidneyco.com »

your right, no live =5 litres of oil, so its a win win. 5 weeks free motoring and no stupid suggestions of doing 60 miles on a motorway rather than 34 through the city

AlunL
Resident Gestapo

Post by AlunL »

Since I've been using 'live', I can't imagine not having it. I'll happily pay some beer money to renew the service!
Alpact Couriers & Motorcycle Movers - Ring Alun on 07770 642913
info@wemovebikesandquads.co.uk
http://wemovebikesandquads.co.uk/

EnsonExpress

Post by EnsonExpress »

I first got "Live" quite some time ago. It came with a new satnav, free LIve Services for 3 months, so I was happy enough to give it a go.

The Cameras were (and still are) rubbish. The Fuel prices were (and still are) rubbish. Weather ??? What difference does it make even if it's accurate, but I'd look on my iPhone first. That left HD Traffic and Google Search.

I've never been convinced by TomTom's Traffic service, certainly not the RDS-TMC version, which I found to be no better than the Radio 5 Live broadcast. So I was very sceptical about HD Traffic, but as it was free trial, I gave it a try, but never trusted it. Eventually I found it getting a bit better, but I couldn't say I'd hate life without it.

Google Search was a different thing altogether. Brilliant. I could put in the postcode of my delivery, choose the correct company and select to navigate to it - an absolute godsend. Or ask it to find Fish and Chips near my current location and got a list of several to choose from.

Then two years ago when we had the bad snow November/December 2010, the HD traffic fell apart under the pressure. So TomTom reduced the "look ahead" range to 40 miles and the traffic info turned to pulp overnight - what's the use of traffic info up to 40 miles ahead when you've got a Sameday job to 250 miles away and could do to decide early on whether to travel east or west coast routes? They've recovered it a bit to 80 miles, sometimes 120 miles, but it's really lost much of its value.

And now that they've got in bed with Apple, they've dropped Google Search in favour of their own version "TT Places". It's absolutely useless.

So now the question for me in a few months time when my subscription runs out is whether to pay for a useless service. The price nowadays is some £40 a year - when I first bought it, it was £80. I willingly paid it then and would do so again now if only they restored the Live services to their original capability. Even at half that price now, I'm not at all sure it's worth it for the state it's in right now.
Dennis
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).

AjSidneyco.com

Post by AjSidneyco.com »

been without it for a week now and honestly have not missed it. the radio gives me up to date motorway issues. And being as i drive in london every day i have my routes and preferences. Tom tom live does not do road closures which is the only issue i have and i can work my way round them. so no i will not be renewing it

AjSidneyco.com

Post by AjSidneyco.com »

it is august now and i still have no live service and i can honestly say i have no missed it once. It is just another gimmick that i thought i could not live without but i can.

slim

Post by slim »

It can be difficult to convey to the satnav generation that time honoured London drivers sense issues ahead of them by traffic values several miles away from problems.

SN's ain't that clever enough yet to deal with multiple delivery drops and best route AND resolve eight hour days with ad hoc interventions......but if truth be known, after watching the Routemaster series on TV where the TFL lords watch over our every move playing chess with lightsets and flying road closures you just have to accept it isn't going to be your day occssionally.
By working faithfully eight hours a day you may eventually get to be the boss and work twelve hours a day.

AjSidneyco.com

Post by AjSidneyco.com »

used maps for years and still do to a degree i can remeber not owning a map apart from the greater london atlas for 3 years as a courier and just stopped on the edge of every town in a garage and used their maps to find the job. But when sat navs first came out i had to give it a try and bought a navman and it was pants so went back to the maps until i discovered tom toms and they have mostly been good until this traffic nonsense started. i used it for the year as it came with subscription and became too dependent on it but since the subscription ran out i have gone back to all my old runs in and around london and have started getting finished earlier again. i find the traffic over cautious exaggerates traffic and is often not up to date. it was great in europe as it got me out of rush hour traffic that i would never have known about but in the UK i can live without it

MK BIKER

Post by MK BIKER »

My live expired 5 days ago I renewed it day before yesterday and it already saved me twice warning me in advance of closed motorways and busy alternatives

brummieadam

Post by brummieadam »

i still havnt lashed the cash , i had free live for a year but never renewed and the only thing i really missed at first was the line on the right which said how long the jam head was

yesterday it attempted to send my on an extra 20 mile round trip around the b/ham motorway network ( m42 then m6 when i live off the A5 and im heading to the M1) , the difference was 2 minutes which im glad to endure to save a gallon and once again on the way back but it does make you think is it really worth the cost, is there really a solid dependable sat nav out there to be had

RLT

Post by RLT »

MK BIKER wrote:My live expired 5 days ago I renewed it day before yesterday and it already saved me twice warning me in advance of closed motorways and busy alternatives
Brilliant bit of kit!

Certainly saved me hours.

Cheap as chips for what it saves you

MK BIKER

Post by MK BIKER »

brummieadam wrote: but it does make you think is it really worth the cost
Undoubtedly yes, it saved me the very first week I had it, heading north I had plans to use the toll regardless as I knew there was delays around Brum when the delays went from 2 mins to 20 it diverted me up the M1 and across the A50 which is no longer but has some roundabouts to negotiate which of course slows the overall journey but not by 20 mins and doesn't cost a toll.
Today it notified me of the M6 closure diverting me once again over the A50, if it keeps all those folk that don't renew away from my route I'm very happy ::D:

EnsonExpress

Post by EnsonExpress »

RLT wrote:
MK BIKER wrote:My live expired 5 days ago I renewed it day before yesterday and it already saved me twice warning me in advance of closed motorways and busy alternatives
Brilliant bit of kit!

Certainly saved me hours.

Cheap as chips for what it saves you
I have THREE TomToms running side by side. They regularly give me different traffic reports and ETAs. :eyebrow:
Dennis
07903 129 445

AjSidneyco.com

Post by AjSidneyco.com »

my tom-tom live is definitely on the blink. now i am all up for binning it and buying another.

Put a building or tree anywhere near it and it starts wandering and it drives me nuts. The touch screen is on the way out too and needs shaking at least once or twice a day to get it working. so what is the best sat naV these days? i need europe on it . i have seen the new tom toms but they are dear 249 for the one i want really. Anybody got anything positive to say about the garmin or navman ? i had an early navman and truth be told it was rubbish and so were the maps.
so whats everyone else using?