Parcel force owner driver

General chat, news, views, jokes, moans, questions and anything else that doesn't fit on the other forums.
ETB2013

Parcel force owner driver

Post by ETB2013 »

Hi all,

Been looking at working as a self employed owner driver at Parcelforce.

All the info says 'earnings' of approx 45k - 70kpa. Now out of that take offs will occur such as van hire, insurances, fuel etc etc.

Anybody have any experience of been an owner driver for them ? If so what are the good/bad points about the job

Any feedback would be appreciated

cheers

ETB

EnsonExpress

Re: Parcel force owner driver

Post by EnsonExpress »

Old saying - Look BEFORE you leap.

Read the terms and conditions...

Is the van paid for by you when you use it or simply every week/month whether you are driving it or not? (holidays, breakdowns, sickness)? Would you be renting it off them or off a leasing company? CityLink drivers had vans on lease which they still had to pay for when City Link went bust without paying them.

Do the terms say you MUST turn in every day or pay a fee?

Look at stuff like that.

How much would they pay if you provided the van, insurances, fuel, PDA, etc yourself? How much say do you have in what they charge you for any of that stuff? (You don't get the chance to shop around to get them elsewhere cheaper).

Are you REALLY self employed or is it a con? Can you REALLY go work somewhere else for yourself ANY DAY and AS MANY DAYS as you want?
Dennis
Renault Kangoo with carpeted floor and folding bulkhead. 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.4m.
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).

nads

Post by nads »

COD Forum. Courier No, parcel delivery. Owner, No , hiring, Driver , not really, parcel bod very little mileage.

Sorry I just can't equate , multi drop is something a courier does out of desperation. If you do it all the time, you are not a courier.

Rwill

Post by Rwill »

I have a theory - totally unproven - that Parcel Force is actually quite a good number subject of course to your own due diligence on contractual matters and your own "personality" in what you want to do. My reasoning is this - people come on here and ask what we think of DPD, TNT, Citylink. Herpes, Yodel and etc and get heaps of very negative stories some real actual experiences not opinions. People ask about Parcel force they get the usual suspects voicing their negative vibes but very rarely do real Parcel Force people come and tell us anything. It may well be that its actually OK so they keep quiet - very few people see a bargain to bid for on EBay then tell others on a forum about it they just quietly get on and win it. Of course it could be they are all bankrupt and locked up in the debtors jail

My major role in life in my almost retired state is to listen out for the doorbell mainly for my daughters parcel. The rating I give the various carriers is as follows;

UPS : On time, cheerful helpful, courteous and solves problems if they occur

DPD : A bit grumpy but tracked and timed to the minute

Parcel force : very Cheerful

Royal Mail : well worth the fiver we leave out for him Christmas

Herpes : in a hurry but often gorgeous.

Amazon Logistics : don't know they have not yet found our house so I now get this delivered to my newsagent on their pass my parcel service.

Citilink - Don't seem to call anymore!!!

EnsonExpress

Post by EnsonExpress »

Hey Rwill, how do you rate nICK'S aNTIQUES dELIVERY sERVICE? :lemon:
Dennis
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).

nads

Post by nads »

None of those mentioned are couriers so are not worthy of inclusion on this forum.

You can check out my eBay feedback if you want a broad opinion on me as an antique dealer under decoseek. Also an idea of what I find on my travels.

As a courier I am confident in my ability, been at it 12 years and only worked for 3 subbers. I am though leaning towards antiques as I get older, it's much easier physically. Sold a painting this weekend for 500 quid, cost me 100, worth over 2 k so the guy got a good deal. 400 quid profit and he has to collect, or I can of course Deliver !!

Rwill

Post by Rwill »

Nads I personally think you are off track on what a courier is.

Oxford dictionary Definition : "a company or employee of a company that transports commercial packages and documents: "

The reason "courier Insurance" is so expensive is because of the risks of multi drop stop start working. Tell them you do hire and reward but usually only a couple of drops a day and the word courier is dropped along with the price.

What you are describing is more akin to light removals or light haulage

I do accept the argument that the term owner driver or self employed is stretched by these organisations in order to simply get out of employment laws and costs but that is up to individuals to enter into eyes wide open - nobody forces you to work for Herpes or dare I say Citysprint.

nads

Post by nads »

A large proportion of parcel carriers work is home delivery, so it's not commercial.

A parcel carrier driver uses the carriers uniform, equipment , often vehicle or hires one, ie not an owner.

It's different work from a to b , how can 120 drops a day be courier work, parcel depot to a drop area close by.

A UPS or TNT driver would not call himself a courier,more like a postman really. They are in competition with the post office.

DPD ....desperate parcel driver.

Rwill

Post by Rwill »

Nada we never have worked out how your mind works. So delivering to homes is not commercial? Amazon are providing the goods free and in the name of love or perhaps in the field of commerce?

EnsonExpress

Post by EnsonExpress »

Rwill wrote:Nada we never have worked out how your mind works. So delivering to homes is not commercial? Amazon are providing the goods free and in the name of love or perhaps in the field of commerce?
He's a philanthropic guy who sells £2,000 antiques for £500 out of the goodness of his heart and punches the daylights out of gypsies and champion boxers, all in between owning an antiques shop in Kettering and running a very busy stall on ebay. We should be grateful for his guidance and advice on all matters.

But I think I'll pass on his "Vintage RAF Tornado Jet Fighter Aircraft Oil Painting 1970s by Charles Hall", which seems to be less antique than he is.
nads wrote:http://www.codforum.org.uk/forums/viewt ... 36#p103336

http://www.codforum.org.uk/forums/viewt ... 60#p103360

I am an antique dealer and have been for 20 years. The two work very well together and it's the antiques that are giving me a lifestyle. I have been a courier for 11 years, I am 55 this year.

I have very broad shoulders and a very strong chin. I fought Mark Kaylor , British Middleweight Champion and he didn't lay a glove on me, I beat two most promising young boxers in their counties and decked the ABA champion. I had a Gypsy begging for mercy the other week, pinned down on the road with his head pushed into the tarmac with an audience of drivers who had stopped and got out their cars to watch, he had stolen from me and was paying the price.

Go onto Up the junction antiques on Facebook, that's my shop,

You can check out my eBay feedback if you want a broad opinion on me as an antique dealer under decoseek.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/decoseek/m.ht ... =12&_rdc=1
Dennis
07903 129 445

nads

Post by nads »

The dictionary definition states commercial package. That is business to business, typical of a courier. Parcel multi drop is what a courier does when he is desperate.

I am an antiques dealer but deal in art and mid century items . A good dealer sells what is wanted, what is fashionable at the time. Trends change, if people want ornate Victorian furniture I will move into it.

The recent painting was by John Luce Lockett of Northampton. He sadly died not long ago and was accredited with painting Fletcher Christian of Mutiny on the Bounty. His painting is regarded as probably the most likely image of the man. He is well known for his moody lady paintings and pre dates Jack Vetriano with the style by 10 years.

The painting I sold had a price of 4 K on the back from the gallery or exhibition it was displayed at. I bought it at auction in London listed as J Lucy Lockhart. So the dumbarse auctioneer didn't read the signature right or research the artist at all. So it sold cheap to me. There are many prints of paintings by this artist's but not this one, it was never printed.

It is no good holding out for maximum price , I would be sitting on stuff for years. The guy got a good deal and is interested in another painting for 250 which cost me 60 and sells for 1000 euros in France. Today I bought two 1980s prints by Sir William Russell Flint framed behind glass for 4 quid, they are worth around 50. A seascape framed print by Maurice Meyer called Rolling Surf from the 1970s for 4 quid, worth 30, a G Plan teak bedside unit for 20, worth 50, a G Plan sideboard for 20 worth 80. All from charity shops. You just have to know what makes money.

Sorry a parcel bod is not a courier in my opinion.

I don't tell porkies, everything I say is true. Not everything I sell is 100 years old, that is the misconception held by the ignorant individuals who don't understand the business. I have a mix spanning 1880 to 1980 although some goes back to 1803 . To try to discredit my credentials as an antique dealer is perhaps misguided, I am very, very good at what I do.

You could ask, what the he'll are you doing messing about in the courier game. That is a fair question , maybe I am just greedy but getting paid to go to a random area , then use my knowledge to source treasure from dumbarses gives me a buzz. As we all know it ain't cheap running vehicles and I have 4 so have to make it work.

EnsonExpress

Post by EnsonExpress »

nads wrote:The recent painting was by John Luce Lockett of Northampton. He sadly died not long ago and was accredited with painting Fletcher Christian of Mutiny on the Bounty.
Fletcher Christian died on 20th September 1793, so this guy who painted him and sadly died recently would have been maybe 250 years old. :lemon:
nads wrote:I don't tell porkies, everything I say is true. As we all know it ain't cheap running vehicles and I have 4 so have to make it work.
on 13th March 2016 (day before yesterday), nads wrote:I have two vans one extreme to the other, a 4 metre Luton tail lift and a little Bipper
Would that be two lemons, or four lemons, or just another of your occupations, motor trader? :blahblah:

And when you sell your ebay listing
J H Lynch Original Lady Painting Unseen Owned by Family 1960s Framed Genuine

£475,000.00
I suppose you'll be able to afford another small van?
Dennis
07903 129 445

nads

Post by nads »

2 vans, 2 cars. Lockett took on the project of formulating Christians image through researching information from the Pitcairns where descendents live.

J H Lynch destroyed all his paintings before he died in 1989. I bought the family owned collection. Try finding another painting, not a print.I own 23.

Keep trying to discredit me Enson, you are making yourself look a bit silly, like I said, I don't tell lies.

The collection of paintings is my pension so I can sit on them until a rich enthusiast is tempted. The last Tretchikoff sold for 1 million in 2013, Lynch holds as much credibility as Tretchikoff.

bramble43
Site owner

Post by bramble43 »

A lot of cods are not cods because of the fraudulent way the industry has changed.

Many carriers used to employ drivers, in company vans etc, they also used to have cods doing extra work, holiday cover etc.

Now they have many 'self employed' people who are no such thing. You drive the companies van, at their times, on their terms, using their fuel card, uniform and pda while paying for the pleasure but you can't use the van on a sunday to help out a mate, and you have to pay to take a day off.

It's not self employment, it's all the bad stuff for you and all the good stuff and profit for them.
Motorcycle courier, same day / direct / timed, Nationwide and across Europe - Contact details on profile. Call or text for a quote.

nads

Post by nads »

So what should be the name of this forum ?

bramble43
Site owner

Post by bramble43 »

CODFORUM has a nice ring to it
Motorcycle courier, same day / direct / timed, Nationwide and across Europe - Contact details on profile. Call or text for a quote.

EnsonExpress

Post by EnsonExpress »

bramble43 wrote:CODFORUM has a nice ring to it
Well, yes, but it doesn't trip off the tongue so easily as ANTIQUES & COLLECTIBLES FAIR. :no:
Dennis
07903 129 445

Rwill

Post by Rwill »

We could have a forum for:

Antiques Recyclables Shipping Experts