Worthwhile becoming a courier that works 4 days a week?

General chat, news, views, jokes, moans, questions and anything else that doesn't fit on the other forums.
tomsonlocal

Worthwhile becoming a courier that works 4 days a week?

Post by tomsonlocal »

Afternoon all,

I am currently doing the knowledge of London whilst working in retail but the job is becoming incredibly tedious, if I was to become a van driving courier that worked four days a week how easy would it be to earn £800 a month? Basically that's the minimum I need to pay the bills but I don't have a vehicle which will obviously affect my overheads. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Rwill

Re: Worthwhile becoming a courier that works 4 days a week?

Post by Rwill »

I reckon that's realistic and achievable but you have already identified the start up issue of vans then add insurance and cash flow. I guess you could be flexible on which 4 days so if you did Tuesday to Friday that would be good.

So how long will it take you to complete the knowledge and is the black cab game still the golden goose or is it being decimated by Mr Uber and the likes?

tomsonlocal

Post by tomsonlocal »

Thanks for the info, any tips on good companies to contact? I've had a browse around here and not too many seem a fan of City Sprint! Ideally it would be around Central London but I understand that it isn't always easy to get the areas you want.

I'm two years down the line on the knowledge, imagine there will be another two to go. There are doom mongers in the trade but then there always has been, I know a few cabbies and they say the work is still around, I think mainly mini-cab firms are losing the punters to Uber rather than the black cabs, the main thing they have a problem with is the congestion on the roads with the number of the bother! The big worry will be automated vehicles and hopefully they are a long way off, as when they come in we'll all be screwed!

Just noticed you live in Purley! I'm in Sanderstead, may be moving to Eltham in a couple of months though.

Rwill

Post by Rwill »

I was born in Eltham and yes now live in Purley!

If you weren't moving I would say have a look at Wallington Cars and Couriers and make your own mind up. A lot of runs into town but as a medium sized organisation they can usually double up or better on what starts at a very poor rate vs time. Also have a sniff round Gatwick.

Take my advice with a pinch of salt as I effectively been retired a wee while ago and some one will probably tell us Wally Cars went skint a couple of years ago!

tomsonlocal

Post by tomsonlocal »

Will do, thanks for the kind words. Enjoy the retirement!

Addams UK

Post by Addams UK »

Rwill wrote:I was born in Eltham and yes now live in Purley!

If you weren't moving I would say have a look at Wallington Cars and Couriers and make your own mind up. A lot of runs into town but as a medium sized organisation they can usually double up or better on what starts at a very poor rate vs time. Also have a sniff round Gatwick.

Take my advice with a pinch of salt as I effectively been retired a wee while ago and some one will probably tell us Wally Cars went skint a couple of years ago!
i'm working for Wallingtons now Roger, started off pretty slow and i seemed to be getting more than my fair share of London jobs at first, but i seem to have settled into a fairly stable work stream now, with a mix of local and distance.

they have vans for rent for those without their own vehicle, but i have no idea on those costs
Dave Addams, 07968 764681
Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex.
LWB Sprinter.

brad eufc

Post by brad eufc »

i'm working for Wallingtons now Roger, started off pretty slow and i seemed to be getting more than my fair share of London jobs at first, but i seem to have settled into a fairly stable work stream now, with a mix of local and distance.

they have vans for rent for those without their own vehicle, but i have no idea on those costs[/quote]

So you turned down the chance of that contact in Croydon to work for Wallys, good luck with that :shock: