Help for a beginner

General chat, news, views, jokes, moans, questions and anything else that doesn't fit on the other forums.
Istvan Botos

Help for a beginner

Post by Istvan Botos »

I am planning to start as a self employed courier. I have learned a lot on the web, but I still have questions to start. Can you please guys give me some advise about few things. Probably these questions have been asked already. Thank you.

My first thing, what I couldn't find anywhere on the internet, probably something simple, but important. How can I get paid for the jobs from the customers?(if I work for myself)
If I take job on one of the cx sites, do I need to manage the payment myself,or they have some invoicing system?

Which is the best insurance company now and does the insurance come all in one or I need to do the car and goods in and public liability separately?

Is it worth it to register to exchange sites?

How many miles is average per day (loaded, unloaded)?

Is the VAT registering worth it?

Sorry for the lot of questions, and thank you for the help in advance.

brummieadam

Re: Help for a beginner

Post by brummieadam »

Fella , the quick version ok

My first thing, what I couldn't find anywhere on the internet, probably something simple, but important. How can I get paid for the jobs from the customers?(if I work for myself)

You invoice plain and simple

If I take job on one of the cx sites, do I need to manage the payment myself,or they have some invoicing system?

Nope , yourself , as with all jobs generate your own POD , scan all paperwork you are given , create an invoice and post the lot to the company with a date for payment , the invoice must details an account for bacs plus a name address for cheques

Which is the best insurance company now and does the insurance come all in one or I need to do the car and goods in and public liability separately?

The best ? who could ever know ? coversure are good where others are toss , include GIT and P/L onluy after you have had quotes from other sources to have a price to compare

Is it worth it to register to exchange sites?

Yes , getting your name around generates business , reputation is created and destroyed by your actions but without the name being out there you are not in business

How many miles is average per day (loaded, unloaded)?

This is about your busness model , i cant help you there , sorry
The work is by its nature flexable

Is the VAT registering worth it?

Yes and no , it can help but not always , helps a very low income but generates hassle at the same time

Istvan Botos

Post by Istvan Botos »

Thank you for the answer.
The invoicing is still a bit misty. So all I need is an invoice book, with my acc num and sort code for bacs and my address for the cheque. I need to send the invoice by post, and the POD needs to be signed at the collection and at the delivery address.
How much time do you give for the payment? Do you use any other method such as paypal or sg. similar?

Do you use a separate business bank acc?

pokerloon

Post by pokerloon »

For invoicing I use an online software accounting app there are several out there, most are simple to use and they often give a free trial or basic version which is free, or you can get the paid versions for a small monthly fee.
The beauty of these is that you can create a professional invoice in seconds from your smartphone or tablet or pc your accounts are available 24-7 and it can help you keep track of payments made or due and your profit and loss, most customers will accept invoices by email which these can generate as well assuming you have internet access just google how to create an invoice or online accounting.

legrysexpressltd

Post by legrysexpressltd »

How is invoicing misty it's simple to create an invoice and please done use an receipt book use an app on your phone or create it in word from a template something like zoho runs on your phone and laptop tablet buy does cost monthly for more than 2 customers. Something like invoice to go runs on your phone and is a one off payment with addons to purchase and runs on ios or android and create a pdf invoice with remittance slip too Soho runs on windows phone ios and android

Istvan Botos

Post by Istvan Botos »

Thanks for the answers guys. Now it's clear. I didn't know the method itself, but now I understand, I need to send the invoice once the job's done. Do I need to allow some time to do the payments or I can ask to send it right after the delivery's done?

legrysexpressltd

Depends on the customer your doing it for if your subbing of cx the. It be anything from immediate to mainly 30 or days before you see any money. 30 from invoice is pretty much standard but payment terms of seam to be increasing.

Istvan Botos

Post by Istvan Botos »

Can I make my own rules of payment, or is it by law? 30 days sound too much to wait for payment.

Rwill

Post by Rwill »

I think you should put your name forward for an organisation well known in the courier world as COURIER EXPERT (google the name). They are always on the look out for guys just like you and even have a little book to start newcomers on the way. good luck.

Istvan Botos

Post by Istvan Botos »

I've seen the c.exp. website, but it costs £70 just to start, and what is the guarantee I can get any job?

EnsonExpress

Post by EnsonExpress »

Rwill wrote:I think you should put your name forward for an organisation well known in the courier world as COURIER EXPERT (google the name). They are always on the look out for guys just like you and even have a little book to start newcomers on the way. good luck.
Considering the low opinion many of us have of this organisation, I think it is irresponsible to post this "advice" without making it crystal clear that you are not serious. :lemon:
Dennis
Renault Kangoo with carpeted floor and folding bulkhead. 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.4m.
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).

Rwill

Post by Rwill »

I'm sorry I just assumed that this whole thread is a wind up and not to be taken seriously - surely?

IRMA777

Post by IRMA777 »

:yawn: x 2

legrysexpressltd

There no guarantee 30 day terms are standard but not law you could ask for 7to 14 day terms but as a subbie you'll have very little or no work

He could always make his fortune at city sprint or UK express

pokerloon

Post by pokerloon »

UK Express are crying out at the moment for subbies :wink:

Rwill

Post by Rwill »

So to all newcomers, because of low opinions expressed by senior members of this forum it is advisable to avoid the expert. In addition by similar reasoning please avoid the following:

Cx
Citysprint
TNT
UK express
DPD
Parcel Force
Royal Mail
Citylink (oops too late)
Rico
Yodel
Hermes
Amazon Logistics
MT Van
Trade Plating
MT van
Shipley
Uship
All most anyone else

Please don't think about getting your own customers as you will upset the guy who does their work now and probably wont get paid for ninety days.

Other than that good luck

legrysexpressltd

Where's the like button

On a serious note the op would probably be better going on for the likes of Cs to start with at least he'll get some experience of he industry

nads

Post by nads »

My advice too would be start as a subbie. So doing work for a courier firm as a self employed owner driver.Learn the ropes, see if you can hack it, get an idea of potential earnings and costs.

Good luck anyway.

Istvan Botos

Post by Istvan Botos »

If I have to avoid the companies above, where else can I get work as a beginner? What is the problem with the exchange sites? Can you guys recommend any company to start as a subbie?

nads

Post by nads »

Google the couriers in your area, ask if they need any drivers.

The list you refer to is a bit of fun, some people make money with some of those but it's hard work and takes time to learn the tricks of the trade.

A local firm near you may give you a go. Tell them you are a beginner and need advice. Don't lie,be honest and up front.

brummieadam

Post by brummieadam »

Istvan Botos wrote:If I have to avoid the companies above, where else can I get work as a beginner? What is the problem with the exchange sites? Can you guys recommend any company to start as a subbie?

invoice thing

I work like this

I generate a POD be it printed out nicely or hand writen scribble done at traffic lights .
Collect item , deliver item , have a copy of there own paperwork but always get my own signed . If there is no copy to be had of there own then photo .

Once home i have a template of a invoice , i simply fill in the details . It says where from and to , bacs plus banking details , date of job plus invoice date , the invoice number and full details of charges dependent on what id agreed plus room to improv if need be .

The invoice has a date dependent on 14-30-45-60 days , i allow a few days on the start of these days to allow for postage .
Once home everything is scanned regardless , files are collated with the date of job and whom for , once paid the file name is changed to paid , this allows to keep track on whats what .

as for work well it goes like this

1: pay to work so join a cowboy outfit or join say CX , both will generate work , you will not get rich trust me on that
2: join a local courier company as a subby , expect to be low payed . If they demand exclusivity then do not koin whatever you do .
3:find your own punters . This requires firing cards and flyers through doors of every business for miles around . Expect an interesting life thats for sure and this will create either sod all work or a completely different animal . If can work but really isnt a 1 man band style of work as punters do not take lightly being told you are already on a job and tend to wonder off elsewhere :tumble:

starting out being honest go join a local outfit to get experience , put some miles under your wheels , learn to p in a bush , understand the role of how you get a pacakage from a-b when everything in the entire world is trying to stop you doing this simple role

then take a day and decide where you want to be in 2 years time

Istvan Botos

Post by Istvan Botos »

Thank you Brummieadam. Very useful informations.
Here is my plan. I start working with the CS. I've heard about the low rates, so I need to find some extra job for backloads or even an extra parcel to the destination place. Maybe I can get it from the exchange sites.
About the exch. sites.
I have signed up on one of them, a free one, just to check how it works. The bids are really low. Sometimes the job goes to minus profit. :) It's really just for extra parcel or backloads.

About the invoice.

Do I need to include tax on the price?

What kind of payments should I accept? Bank transfer, cheque? Maybe cash at delivery as well, with paper invoice?

I don't know to much about BACS. Do I need special account or anything for that?