is this really going to pay?

General chat, news, views, jokes, moans, questions and anything else that doesn't fit on the other forums.
forevered

is this really going to pay?

Post by forevered »

hi everyone,
ive just joined this forum, and urgently need some advice from you guys.having just been made redundant from a non driving job ive applied and supposedly had my online application to be a courier accepted and am waiting for contact for a interview to become a self employed courier for a company called igloo, delivering amazon parcels. they say they provide the van free, also a fuel card and insurance, but i would be self employed. they say i would be payed £75 a day, i asked if it was a zero hours job, they said no its not that sort of contract i would get my own run and would be guarenteed full weeks work, sometimes weekend as well.they told me 2 days ago when they phoned me that the interviewer for the particular depot was off sick but should still be able to do it later this week,i still havent heard from iglloo,i had to fill in a comprehensive online application form, with some sections having amazon headings on them. also had to send photos of passport birth certificate and driving licence for a criminal record check, was told a charge of 45 pounds would be made for this, which was only a verbal request,also gave bank details in application for being payed by them. having checked my bank account no payment appears to have been taken for this(told i would get this back after x ammount of months working for them) do you think i would make decent money doing this clear at least £300 a week, would they work me like a dog, ie dawn till dusk, penalties for not delivering enough etc, or is it a scam? surely not involving amazon. all advice much appreciated. thanks

Stuart Farrington

Re: is this really going to pay?

Post by Stuart Farrington »

This sounds a bit dodgy to me, do you have a website or any details for them? Igloo Thero-Logistics is the only company I can find but as the name suggested they specialize in chilled deliveries and there's no mention of Amazon being one of their clients on their website.

If they are supplying the van, insurance and a fuel card for free and paying you a wage to drive the van I can't see how they can class this as a self employed position personally.
Stuart Farrington
Tel: 07849 986340
email: stuart@stuartfarrington.co.uk
Follow me on twitter

Fiat Fiorino 1.3 Multijet van

Mike George
I used to be somebody

Post by Mike George »

It's probably Igloo Automotive: http://www.iglooautomotive.co.uk/

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!

Rwill

Post by Rwill »

If you google Hermes Igloo you may get better on to the trail.

Doesnt quite smell right -quite a few guys and gals on Hermes would love to have a van provided with fuel and insurance paid and get £75 a day. Hope its not a CRB scam

Mike George
I used to be somebody

Post by Mike George »

Rwill wrote:If you google Hermes Igloo you may get better on to the trail.

Doesnt quite smell right -quite a few guys and gals on Hermes would love to have a van provided with fuel and insurance paid and get £75 a day. Hope its not a CRB scam
I think that's the same one I linked to Rwill. Almost certainly not a CRB scam but not necessarily a good deal.

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!

forevered

Post by forevered »

thanks for your thoughts, they actually phoned me today tellling me interviews were being held on tuesday, but offered another non self employeddriving . job today and have decided to take that instead. going to keep checking my bank accountant to see if they take the £45 crb fee they mentioned

Bob Johnson

Post by Bob Johnson »

People can't just take money from your account :rolleyes:

You would have to have set up a Direct Debit mandate or given them debit card details

forevered

Post by forevered »

thanks for that reassurance ::D:

Godfrey

Post by Godfrey »

One way to help ensure things are OK when paying online, is to check that the web address starts with "https://......etc. This means it is at least a secure page, which involves some considerable hassle in setting up - dealing with a payment gateway company, bank linking etc. Not that quick n easy to set up for a potential scammer :lol:

Also if you pay by credit card, you are covered against fraud - you'll get your money back from the card company if it proves to be a scam.

Probably best to avoid bank transfers and direct debits.. more difficult to get your money back if things go wrong.

JRG_Express

Post by JRG_Express »

£45 for a CRB? If they charge you, get the form and do it yourself. Then at least you have a CRB to use elsewhere. Also check what level of CRB it is as a basic is more like £25!! :suspicious:

I actually saw an Igloo van the other day on the M42 i think it was, near Birmingham.
JRG Express Courier Services ● jrgexpress.com ● 07927 157510

Bob Johnson

Post by Bob Johnson »

JRG_Express wrote:I actually saw an Igloo van the other day on the M42 i think it was, near Birmingham.
Different company as already stated........