starting up

General chat, news, views, jokes, moans, questions and anything else that doesn't fit on the other forums.
robgreen811

starting up

Post by robgreen811 »

I'm looking to start up as a freelance courier can anyone give me some tips on the best small van to get and can you get van and courier insurance combined

RLT

Re: starting up

Post by RLT »

Hello and welcome.

Not sure if it is just me, but I see many short introductions like this and I think why?

Surely if you took the trouble to write a better introduction, stating where you live, what you do now etc etc would be better? :confused:

Good luck and thoroughly research your potential market before wasting monies on vans etc :wave:

Bob Johnson

Post by Bob Johnson »

Tips:

never say freelance, makes you sound like you've bought a bible

don't buy a bible

combine van and courier insurance??? the van insurance must cover you to be a 'courier' as you call it

MK BIKER

Post by MK BIKER »

I don't think there is anything that can be described as the best small van, it entirely depends on what you want to move, a nemo or fiesta give excellent mpg but no chance of getting a pallet in.

brad eufc

Post by brad eufc »

What have QPR sacked you :shock:

Stuart Farrington

Post by Stuart Farrington »

MK BIKER wrote:I don't think there is anything that can be described as the best small van, it entirely depends on what you want to move, a nemo or fiesta give excellent mpg but no chance of getting a pallet in.
Tony, a Nemo/Bipper/Fiorino will supposedly take a euro and "on paper" it has a 600kg payload. However having read about problems with suspension strut bearings wearing prematurely and the fact it has the Fiat 1.3 multijet engine (as used in the Vauxhall Corsa/Combo) it's one small van I think I'd avoid.
Stuart Farrington
Tel: 07849 986340
email: stuart@stuartfarrington.co.uk
Follow me on twitter

Fiat Fiorino 1.3 Multijet van

legrysexpressltd

Post by legrysexpressltd »

New connect looks nice

RLT

Post by RLT »

Our Bipper is 1.3 m load length and just over 1m between arches. We regularly shift full size haĺf ton pallets!
Great van and yes there was a warranty recall for rear suspension but fixed easily.
Its serviced regularly with manufacturers parts and synthetic oil, it has proven to be a good buy. Would definitely get another.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

brad eufc

Post by brad eufc »

legrysexpressltd wrote:New connect looks nice
Not so sure on the centre seat, bit cramped :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MK BIKER

Post by MK BIKER »

Forgive me I thought a Blipper/nemo had a lip preventing pallets its me talking :censored:

Stuart Farrington

Post by Stuart Farrington »

Alan, this is one of the reviews I read
http://vans.honestjohn.co.uk/van-review ... rino-2008/

It's on the Fiat Fiorino which is the same van. The strut bearing issue is on the front struts. The 1.3 Fiat engine is known for timing chains stretching or snapping prematurely. Speaking from experience you won't have much change out of £400 to replace the chain, plus the cost of any additional damage a stretched/snapped chain can cause.

On the other hand I guess the trouble with reviews is people make a noise when things go wrong, but for every one dissatisfied owner there could be another 99 who haven't had any issues.

I seem to mainly carrying small items these days and if the Bipper was offered with any engine other than the 1.3 I might have considered it as a future replacement for my Berlingo but at the moment I'd be reluctant to consider it.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk
Stuart Farrington
Tel: 07849 986340
email: stuart@stuartfarrington.co.uk
Follow me on twitter

Fiat Fiorino 1.3 Multijet van

RLT

Post by RLT »

Stuart, Fiat are offering 3 yrs unlimited warranties, I think the latest completely new engines are much improved. They seem to have the confidence in them.
Can't fault my new Doblo and Ducato is superb.
Our Bipper has nearly done 200k fault free miles, only had to renew both winter and normal tyres. It is regularly serviced with factory parts only. It has certainly been more reliable than the combos both 1.3 and 1.7 we have had over the years.
I wouldn't hesitate getting another Fiat and the Fiorino would be my choice for the tiny van.

There is a lot of luck I agree as I have had new vans that were nothing but trouble from the day it was collected!

IRMA777

Post by IRMA777 »

"Fiat are offering 3 yrs unlimited warranties,"

Is that as "standard" as per Merc or as an extra :?:

RLT

Post by RLT »

IRMA777 wrote:"Fiat are offering 3 yrs unlimited warranties,"

Is that as "standard" as per Merc or as an extra :?:
Extra on Ducato
Standard on Doblo

nads

Post by nads »

Very happy with my Pug Bipper, it's an 09 with 1.4 diesel. Great brakes, plenty of punch from the engine, will take standard pallet. If I am careful like today, returned 61 mpg at steady 60 mph. That's on the dash read out.

Paid 5 k with 29 k on clock. Now done 90 k, no issues. I know this lump lasts as heard reports of 250 k .

Jim Miller

Post by Jim Miller »

Bob Johnson wrote:Tips:

don't buy a bible

combine van and courier insurance??? the van insurance must cover you to be a 'courier' as you call it
What a load of b*ll*cks!! You said the same to me when I made my first post on COD Forum over 2 years ago.I've been a same day courier for 11 years and I have traded throughout those years under the title "James Miller Freelance Courier". I must be doing something right, to be able to buy 5 new vans for cash in that period. Why Mr Johnson has some kind of hang-up about the term "Freelance" is beyond me. Hasn't he heard of Freelance journalists, graphic artists, radio presenters etc., etc.,??

As for buying a courier "Bible", this industry would be a lot better if those joining it, had some idea of the procedures and terminology, not only of the sector, but basic business as well. Just the basics like POD, GOB, ETA, you would be amazed at the ignorance of some new-starts who think that all you do is buy a clapped out old van and co-load it until you can't shut the back doors!

Alec

Post by Alec »

Jim Miller wrote:

don't buy a bible

What a load of b*ll*cks!! You said the same to me when I made my first post on COD Forum over 2 years ago.I've been a same day courier for 11 years and I have traded throughout those years under the title "James Miller Freelance Courier". I must be doing something right, to be able to buy 5 new vans for cash in that period. Why Mr Johnson has some kind of hang-up about the term "Freelance" is beyond me. Hasn't he heard of Freelance journalists, graphic artists, radio presenters etc., etc.,??

As for buying a courier "Bible", this industry would be a lot better if those joining it, had some idea of the procedures and terminology, not only of the sector, but basic business as well. Just the basics like POD, GOB, ETA, you would be amazed at the ignorance of some new-starts who think that all you do is buy a clapped out old van and co-load it until you can't shut the back doors!
It was true a few years ago, at the height of Mr Expert and his 'Postal And Courier' bible-selling days, that the term 'freelance courier' was synonymous with people who had bought the rubbish he was selling. It did a lot of damage to the industry, inviting in all sorts of unsuitable people and giving them incredibly bad advice on how to operate their businesses.

No mention there of making sure the delivery you've already got on is delivered on time for example - or checking that the company you're working for doesn't mind you adding a few hours onto their job while you phone around looking for work and divert to do other collections and deliveries.

Bob Johnson

Post by Bob Johnson »

Jim Miller wrote:

don't buy a bible

Read the date you ignorant fool before you spout off

Freelance indicates a skill set, that's why you have freelance journalists, artists etc. Whilst you may well be good at it, you drive a van, I drive a van. Get over it. Your don't have a special skill set.

Oooh you bought myself some vans. So did I. Big deal. You work for yourself, you are probably very good at it, that's how you can afford vans, not because you called yourself 'freelance' :rolleyes:

Bob Johnson

Post by Bob Johnson »

*yourself. (If you bought myself some vans that would be very kind of you!)

legrysexpressltd

Post by legrysexpressltd »

Rlt what's the doblo like to drive everyone I speak to says there bad and what's the fuel like

RLT

Post by RLT »

legrysexpressltd wrote:Rlt what's the doblo like to drive everyone I speak to says there bad and what's the fuel like
Great van.
3 year warranty

Even with my driving it returns about 30mpg.

30k service intervals.

Comfortable, I would not buy anything else [only Fiat, Citroen or Peugeot derivatives]. I hated the last sprinter we had.

One thing though, make sure you buy the 130 [or more now] bhp model. The lower powered engines would NOT suit me. Also I would advise the MAXI version as it has larger wheels and uprated suspension.

Bob Johnson

Post by Bob Johnson »

The Doblo is the same as the Combo, not twinned with the other Frenchies