So, about these spaceship miles..

Discussion, questions and answers about vehicles - bikes, cars and vans.
AndyBee

So, about these spaceship miles..

Post by AndyBee »

I've just passed 210k miles in my little Peugeot, and have concluded that while it's a decent economical engine I'm fully prepared for it to not last another year. In short how are you guys doing running your vans up to half a million miles? Are there any that will handle it with few problems?

EnsonExpress

Re: So, about these spaceship miles..

Post by EnsonExpress »

I renewed my first six Kangoos every two years, taking advantage of two years unlimited mileage warranty.

But this one is August 2013 and just coming up to 200k and I’ve ordered a new one for March. It’s the longest I’ve kept one and highest mileage, the two year ones reached 120 to 150k - I’m doing less mileage for better price these days, and lost five months this year with a leg injury keeping me off the road.

I’ve only had two noticeable faults - a warranty replacement alternator at 140k several years ago and replacement track rod end on this one a month ago.

I get average 55mpg.
Dennis
Renault Kangoo with carpeted floor and folding bulkhead. 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.4m.
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).

IRMA777

Post by IRMA777 »

AndyBee wrote:I've just passed 210k miles in my little Peugeot, and have concluded that while it's a decent economical engine I'm fully prepared for it to not last another year. In short how are you guys doing running your vans up to half a million miles? Are there any that will handle it with few problems?
In my opinion, most modern engines do not have the reliability or longevity of older ones,they are just too complicated in order to meet emission standards.
On top of that,you have dual mass flywheels and six speed boxes which are not built to last.
Best small van was the Astra van, dti/cdti, good Izusu engine, had 340K out of mine before write-off,mate had 420k out of his before trading in.

markgg

Post by markgg »

hi

Previous vans

Astra Van 2001 210k Miles
Vauxhall Combo 2007 310K Miles
Peugeot Partner 2013 at present it has 179K still going strong hoping to get at least 300k.

Mark

brad eufc

Post by brad eufc »

just changed the flywheel on my vito 270k it was fu-ked but clutch still good, did change it though

AjSidneyco.com

Post by AjSidneyco.com »

a client of mine runs his sprinters up to 350k every 3 years. changes them when the warranty runs out.
all of the 6 vans i have had i run to 225-240k , every one of them has had a clutch and flywheel at around 125 k. the work i do kills vans, if i did light stuff i would have no issues running a sprinter to 300 but i don’t think none of the other stuff could make it, my 2017 transit is showing signs of wear at 135k. i have no faith of longevity in any of the 2.0 diesels currently running most 3.5 tonne vans presently.
hands up who likes comics?
http://www.webfluid.co.uk

brad eufc

Post by brad eufc »

17 plate 314 Sprinter 260k steering rack (old one leaking), 4 injectors, dpf filter, flywheel, inlet bolt broken?, fuel filter housing, side door catch. All parts under warrenty except dpf

ray valentine

Post by ray valentine »

I know it;s not a van but i had a secondhand F6, it was about five years old when i got it and i did over 100k miles a year for 5 years and it never let me down. A lot of it is down to good maintenance.
I have run two sprinters, one Boxer, one Kangoo, one Doblo, one Relay and now a Custom, they all have had high mileages when i sold them but although there have been some small problems none have let me down on thew road.
Ray Valentine Refrigerated Vans. The Experienced Norfolk based
Temperature Controlled Courier.

EnsonExpress

Post by EnsonExpress »

My Kangoom is just over 102K and I have a few days left of my inclusive warranty. Now I have to look for suitable breakdown cover. Annoyingly, my bank account free Green Flag excludes vehicles used for hire and reward. RAC ripped me off with a new battery a few years ago. AA did me a good price but turned me down when it came to renewal.

Any suggestions?
Dennis
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).

IRMA777

Post by IRMA777 »

I use RAC... NOT THE CHEAPEST....(but you can haggle) did a stater motor, on the drive for me, same sort of prices as the motor factors.. ish.Why did he turn you down for renewal ??
If i remember, Green flag probably the cheapest of the Biggies.... but had dire reviews on-line..

EnsonExpress

Post by EnsonExpress »

I’ve finished up with RAC even though they charged me £150 for a battery on the driveway a few years ago (google that for horror stories). Several years ago I got a cheap deal from AA salesman in local Sunday market, at renewal they didn’t want to know about that price and the man had disappeared from the market. Green Flag quite simply declined to accept van used for hire and reward such as courier. I’m wondering if my age has anything to do with it - I had difficulty with insurance this year (I’m 80).
Dennis
07903 129 445