Opinion needed

General chat, news, views, jokes, moans, questions and anything else that doesn't fit on the other forums.

Opinion needed

Postby Barry Ward Bristol » Wednesday 2 February 2011, 15:51

Would anyone charge extra for handballing goods off the van and into the customer's stock room, which was down 2 flights of stairs, whilst their (youngish) staff stood idly by doing nothing. Just to give some idea, there were 48 boxes at about 10 kilos each
Barry
Tel: 07831447764
Barry Ward Bristol

Re: Opinion needed

Postby A KIRK » Wednesday 2 February 2011, 16:01

Depends on the client, but in general damn right I would.

Or you could also use the old my insurance doesn't cover me to stack shelves/stock room on clients premises etc
The car in front is my crumple zone
Andrew Kirk AK Couriers http://www.ak-couriers.co.uk
A KIRK

Postby J H Sameday » Wednesday 2 February 2011, 16:04

I agree with Kirk, depends on the customer....Get lots of work from him/her, then yes otherwise no................ 8)
J H Sameday Logistics - http://www.jhsameday.co.uk

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

Have a nice day
J H Sameday

Postby ray valentine » Wednesday 2 February 2011, 16:46

"Opinion needed" you have come to the right place.

A bit difficult to charge retrospectively. if on arrival you find that more work is required than you quoted for you should contact the customer and tell them, they may be able to get things moving, same goes for waiting time. I think i would tell the customer what happened and tell them that next time it would cost £xx for that extra work. They may offer to pay that this time but i think it is would be unreasonable to charge them if you did not tell them at the time it happened.

On most jobs delivery is to the back of the van, with a maximum time limit.
Ray Valentine Refrigerated Vans.
Temperature Controlled Courier.
ray valentine

Postby Darren » Wednesday 2 February 2011, 18:23

Charge an Hours Labour on top.
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby bradley jones » Wednesday 2 February 2011, 18:35

Swings & roundabouts ? i think i would ask my customer if there would be a issue if i charged a little extra for the lifting & see how they react
bradley jones

Opinion needed

Postby Chris Barnes » Wednesday 2 February 2011, 21:10

Depends on the customer. Me and my mate who I took on the job with me ended up carrying 5 cases 200kgs each (with 2 others there) down stairs into a basement at Cologne Uni. That was a killer! But they paid a good price anyway to know they were there safe and on time so it was part of the job.
Chris Barnes

Postby slim » Wednesday 2 February 2011, 22:57

Amongst us are drivers who charge substantially for their services, and then say that they do not charge for waiting time. They generally have, but incorporate it invisibly into their job rate. They get it right more times than wrong and as it is a contentious issue which generally gets the back up of any client it would seem to be a sensible way of working.

Amongst us are courier businesses that use subbies and they will not come on here and agree that subbies should charge for it. Generally because it is 'after the event' and causes problems with quotes. It is in their interest to demolish the argument for it.

Essentially it is for all couriers running their own business to have a set of T&C's and make sure they are available to all, prior to accepting work. Industry averages change with van size. I have always been of the opinion that 15 mins free time for a small van at both ends of job is fair when you accept a job at keen subbie rates.
By working faithfully eight hours a day you may eventually get to be the boss and work twelve hours a day.
slim

Postby freestyleminibus2 » Thursday 3 February 2011, 00:59

Large amounts of boxes to non warehouse type addresses, beware. Personally I wouldn't have handballed half a ton down 2 flights of stairs.....that is taking the pee. I would have said something half joking half serious about heart attack and told them get some of their lads to move it. Ultimately I would have dug my heels in. If that's the sort of work they expect then goodbye. :wave:
As per freestyleminibus.changed my email and lost my login.Just as organised at year end.
Small Van
Xlwb 4m+
Luton Tail Lift half curtain 4m
Gilmartin Light Haulage.
freestyleminibus2

Postby steve jones » Thursday 3 February 2011, 07:59

Im strictly Doorstep To Doorstep.
This world is full of pee takers this work is no diffrent.
Be frim is the word.
steve jones

Postby RLT » Thursday 3 February 2011, 09:07

If it was at the customers' premises, could you not have asked if you could charge more there and then, after realising how much extra work would be involved?
I'd have thought if they were reasonable and have a good working relationship with you, it would not have been a problem.
Doing a retrospective charge is a little unprofessional in my opinion.
RLT

Postby Barry Ward Bristol » Thursday 3 February 2011, 10:00

Thanks for your repliess, Guys.

This was a job for an end-user customer delivering to their customer. I haven't charged extra retrospectively, but i've told my customer that I will not be accepting deliveries to that address in future. Their customer had the cheek to complain about me.
Barry
Tel: 07831447764
Barry Ward Bristol

Postby Bob Johnson » Thursday 3 February 2011, 10:49

Barry Ward Bristol wrote:Thanks for your repliess, Guys.

This was a job for an end-user customer delivering to their customer. I haven't charged extra retrospectively, but i've told my customer that I will not be accepting deliveries to that address in future. Their customer had the cheek to complain about me.

But then they will look elsewhere and you might lose it all......

Charging retrospectively if they haven't told you the full details isn't unprofessional IMO, its all about how its done.

If they gave lots of work then just mention that it happened, and say it will cost next time.
I've done this before and they paid the extra for the job anyway.
Bob Johnson

Postby steve jones » Thursday 3 February 2011, 13:10

Maybe this will be a trap your never fall into again,before pricing job you need to know the in and outs of a ducks behind of what the job involves,if it sounds to much like hard work just turn it away or sting them.
Don't forget we are drivers not porters.
steve jones

Postby dino » Thursday 3 February 2011, 13:20

I have a regular run were this sort of thing happens it is part of the job I'm afraid but as it is a good paying run and it is regular i put up with it,if it was a one off i would defo charge an hours rate,also don't be scared of telling people you need a lift, tell them they can't expect you to do it on your own ask to speak to whome evers in charge and ask them for help, you would be surprised how quick they will get someone to help, lot's of foremen and supervisors think half there work force are lazy and will tell a couple of work dodgers to help you .
Last edited by dino on Thursday 3 February 2011, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
!!!!!!KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE!!!!!!
dino

Postby MK BIKER » Thursday 3 February 2011, 13:26

any diviations from what you expected (and costed for) that required extra graft for which you felt the need to charge for should have been checked with the person paying for the job before you did it NOT retrospectivily!

you wouldnt expect a builder to do extra without charging for...but first checking you want to pay for it!

If you did it without asking you cant charge!
MK BIKER

Postby RLT » Thursday 3 February 2011, 13:32

Barry Ward Bristol wrote:Thanks for your repliess, Guys.

If That's what you said; :roll:
if I was your customer I wouldn't bother calling you again!

Diplomacy is required at times.
RLT

Postby mattyg » Thursday 3 February 2011, 19:08

Did you ask the customer the question of whether the delivery needed handballing off and into their storeroom??

If not. Then make sure you do in future.
mattyg

Postby freestyleminibus2 » Thursday 3 February 2011, 21:02

Extra money doesn't really come into it anyway...Handballing that much gear any more than just off the van or wheeled into a loading bay is just cruddox. If they want Donkeys then the seaside is the best place. :censored:
As per freestyleminibus.changed my email and lost my login.Just as organised at year end.
Small Van
Xlwb 4m+
Gilmartin Light Haulage.
freestyleminibus2

Opinion needed

Postby MK BIKER » Thursday 3 February 2011, 21:06

You drive vans, loading comes with the territory, that's why I ride bikes ;-)
MK BIKER

Postby freestyleminibus2 » Thursday 3 February 2011, 21:10

Not that sort of slave labour it doesn't.
Small Van
Xlwb 4m+
Gilmartin Light Haulage.
freestyleminibus2

Opinion needed

Postby MK BIKER » Thursday 3 February 2011, 21:33

Ahhhh yeah but that's the point he shoulda called the customer to advise!
MK BIKER

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Next

Return to Random Banter