pplm rate

General discussion, news, views, jokes, moans, business questions that don't fit on the other forums.

pplm rate

Postby Gary Denmark » Monday 31 January 2011, 16:18

I have a lwb transit and wanted to know if there is any guidline for pplm for this size vehicle?
Is 130pplm on the right track? Cheers
Gary Denmark

Re: pplm rate

Postby Hitman84 » Monday 31 January 2011, 16:21

to an end user ? or are you working trade rates ? (ie ... subbing from other couriers) ??
Hitman84

Postby Gary Denmark » Monday 31 January 2011, 16:41

sorry end user. thanks.
Gary Denmark

Postby RLT » Monday 31 January 2011, 16:52

Only YOU know what you need to charge!

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A 'GOING RATE' :roll:

This game is not rocket science!
RLT

Postby Gareth Davis » Monday 31 January 2011, 19:55

I think that Garys asked a valid question for someone who is just starting up. I know & understand that only you can know what to charge pplm, but when your starting up in a new industry you need some guide lines of rough prices etc from those already involved. Thats not rocket science :wink: Hes not asking for trade secrets, he simply asking for a rough guideline of what to charge. If your not sure what to charge then your either going to under price and lose out or price to high & not be competitive.
GD EXPRESS (Oxford) - Small & MWB (3.2 M load length) Vans for Same Day Deliveries.
UK & Europe. Oxfordshire based. GIT £20000 PL £5M
T 07976 618080 E info@gdexpress.co.uk
Gareth Davis

Postby Darren » Monday 31 January 2011, 20:19

Gareth Davis wrote:I think that Garys asked a valid question for someone who is just starting up. I know & understand that only you can know what to charge pplm, but when your starting up in a new industry you need some guide lines of rough prices etc from those already involved. Thats not rocket science :wink: Hes not asking for trade secrets, he simply asking for a rough guideline of what to charge. If your not sure what to charge then your either going to under price and lose out or price to high & not be competitive.

in any business you need to do some research of the market Place you are targeting :roll:

Regardless of what others say, there is a Average price for courier services. It will vary from region to region for various reasons, i mean who in there right mind would want to live in or around Birmingham :shock:

Remember it easier to drop your price than it is to raise it :D
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby DC Direct Couriers » Monday 31 January 2011, 20:35

Not sure on your area, but I would imagine you could be charging a bit more to an end user unless they are giving you a lot of work then you might want to work for less. Or if you are moving something small you will have to price accordingly to the size.
DC Direct Couriers

Postby MK BIKER » Monday 31 January 2011, 20:39

Darren wrote: It will vary from region to region for various reasons,

Thats the bottom line!

and we dont know where your from?
MK BIKER

Postby Gareth Davis » Monday 31 January 2011, 20:47

Darren wrote:
Gareth Davis wrote:I think that Garys asked a valid question for someone who is just starting up. I know & understand that only you can know what to charge pplm, but when your starting up in a new industry you need some guide lines of rough prices etc from those already involved. Thats not rocket science :wink: Hes not asking for trade secrets, he simply asking for a rough guideline of what to charge. If your not sure what to charge then your either going to under price and lose out or price to high & not be competitive.

in any business you need to do some research of the market Place you are targeting :roll:

Regardless of what others say, there is a Average price for courier services. It will vary from region to region for various reasons, i mean who in there right mind would want to live in or around Birmingham :shock:

Remember it easier to drop your price than it is to raise it :D

I agree you need to research the market place, but then this forum is one of many tools for a newbie to do some market research amongst those already working in the industry. Just my opinion. For example I personaly wasn't aware to the extent of the regional price differences. But now I know from researching on here via you.

I agree that its easier to drop your price than raise it. What ever business your in its trial & error in the early days & you can only learn from your mistakes.

Having the M40 down the road is close enough to Birmingham for me :lol:
GD EXPRESS (Oxford) - Small & MWB (3.2 M load length) Vans for Same Day Deliveries.
UK & Europe. Oxfordshire based. GIT £20000 PL £5M
T 07976 618080 E info@gdexpress.co.uk
Gareth Davis

Postby J H Sameday » Monday 31 January 2011, 21:14

I am lucky I am 20 miles to the north of Birmingham right on the border of south Staffordshire and West Midlands, so I get town and rural work, lots of small business parks/estates good business.. :)
J H Sameday Logistics - http://www.jhsameday.co.uk

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

Have a nice day
J H Sameday

Postby bramble43 » Monday 31 January 2011, 21:24

Some people just have to dig and pick fault.

Codforum should be and usually is the place for research, just that the pplm rate question seems to bring out the best of the worst.

There are a lot of factors involved in rates, as mentioned your location is an important one as is what vehicle you are using, what market you are going for, subbing or own customers, other overheads.

Work out what your van is costing you, everything, not the rose tinted glasses version, add mileage costs, estimate a reasonable amount of miles you'll be paid for and how much you want/need to earn for those miles and you'll have yourself a figure.

Phone businesses in your area for a quote, see what others are charging

Maybe go into places and ask about sub work, see if they have any and what they are willing to pay, have your own figure in mind tough in case they ask you what you want.
Motorcycle courier, same day/direct throughout the UK & Euro - Contact details on profile. Please don't call asking for advice on becoming a courier. This is what the forum is for.
bramble43
Site owner

pplm rate

Postby Chris Barnes » Monday 31 January 2011, 21:54

There isn't a guideline as such and as above it depends on location and other things. I know of different drivers who who charge between £1 and £1.50 a mile for a lwb. It depends on what your happy with on top of your running costs really.
Chris Barnes

Postby Gary Denmark » Monday 31 January 2011, 22:14

Im based just outside Leicester. Many thanks for the help. Really want as much private work as i can rather than subby work. Had very encouraging interest see how it goes.
Gary Denmark

Postby MK BIKER » Monday 31 January 2011, 23:33

Gary Denmark wrote:Im based just outside Leicester.

Ahhh well situated but..................loads of competition

Gary Denmark wrote: Really want as much private work as i can rather than subby work.

Dont we all!

Oh yeah..............if your based anywhere near London used the Jonny Ball method of pricing!

Think of a number! :yes:
MK BIKER

Postby ben hughes » Tuesday 1 February 2011, 17:46

To be honest though there can be lots of variables that make it a hard question to answer.
In the past I have quoted a straight forward A-B delivery for say £1 a mile
And have also quoted for more complex deliveries that would work out at £150.00 a mile.
I was always told that if you were ever unlucky enough to have to use a communal shower with a load of frenchmen, the best place to hide your wallet was under the soap.
ben hughes

Postby steve jones » Tuesday 1 February 2011, 18:33

Keep in mind,there's no point having your own private work if your only going to charge subbie rates.
Surley for private work in a big van you'd want £1.50 pplm min.
steve jones

Postby mat preece » Tuesday 1 February 2011, 18:36

what about a small van,caddy size?
mat preece

Postby J H Sameday » Tuesday 1 February 2011, 19:42

Small van to end user £1 plm at least..............Don't forget you will need to charge congestion charges and bridge or road tolls incurred at cost price...... :)

Have a nice day
J H Sameday

Postby DC Direct Couriers » Tuesday 1 February 2011, 21:54

Work out your costs per mile and see how little you are prepared to take on top. There is no sense in running around flat out for peanuts. Remember, turnover is vanity and profit is sanity.
DC Direct Couriers

Postby J H Sameday » Tuesday 1 February 2011, 23:26

Also as most of your business will be B2B, unless you plan on doing Fleabay work and the like, get yourself VAT registered....... 8)

Have a nice day
J H Sameday

Postby A KIRK » Wednesday 2 February 2011, 16:09

Would £1.30 be enough to cover costs if you had to employ or sub a job out, would you still make any profit from it?
The car in front is my crumple zone
Andrew Kirk AK Couriers http://www.ak-couriers.co.uk
A KIRK

Postby dave creek » Saturday 5 February 2011, 03:06

Ahhhhhhh now I get it, so your supposed to figure EVERYTHING into pricing a job, no wonder when I handed in my tax returns it said 'nothing to pay'

Just entering 10th year of delivering in one form or another and now I get it, I suppose I had better reformulate my business plan. I just thought you work hard and get paid,oh no that was when you have a boss and holiday and sick pay, b u g g e r
dave creek

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Next

Return to The interchange