And Its Goodnight from.......

General discussion, news, views, jokes, moans, business questions that don't fit on the other forums.

And Its Goodnight from.......

Postby Noble Express Couriers » Wednesday 7 July 2010, 18:46

Its official, after much deliberation...well after getting smashed with some mates and putting the world to rights, I have decided that I am definately getting the hell out of this game.

A number of factors contributed to my decision (and I hope all wannabees and newbees read carefully).

In no particular order:-

1. The long days and nights driving on our country's over crowded ad under-maintained road network.
2. The un rewarding slog of working all day for £40 some days (some days worse)
3. The constant dice with death due to other incompetant road users.
4. Metophorically being in an overcrowded nest where only a few get jobs, and even then theyl probably pay a pittance.
5. Not wanting to compete with every man and his van anymore - the fact is if they want to work for peanuts, let them.
6. Constantly wanting to smash my computer up everytime I get sent a job alert that reads something like "pallet to be in Rochdale today...From Birmingham...pays £40 C.O.D".....WHATEVER!!
7. Having all of your cashflow abliterated thanks to people not paying you on time. Which inturn makes me struggle to pay my drivers on time.
8. Dealing with the sales finance department of a particular famous high street bank.
9. Always having to go in at a ridiculous price just to get the work.
10. Any type of work exchange where you have to cough up extortionate fee annually.

Apart from that ive thoroughly enjoyed running my company - im proud that I gave it a good go and had it not been for differnt circumstances it would have been a roaring success.

Im not dissolving the company or bankrupting it - the courier company I have now will do all of the transport and deliveries for my new company. Obviously I cant tell you what it is because that would be advertising, but lets put it this way, I am going to be selling a product that every courier will need....roughly about every 10-15k miles :D :D

I dont regret one minute of being in the courier industry (apart from wishing I never started it haha :lol: ) Ive met some great people, some not so great, but its all part of charachter building. Ive shared some of my knowledge with others, and ive learned of others aswel, so its not all been a waste of time.

One bit of advice I would give to anyone looking to start in this game is think, just think really long and hard about whether your ready for this industry. Its great that you love driving, its great that you dont mind driving the length and bredth of the country...but sooner or later the fact that youl be earning about minimum wage will dawn on you and then something has to give....if id have stayed in this game much longer that something would have been my sanity in all fairness.

I would guess that there is about 8 couriers to every available courier job, a few years ago it was the other way round. You could charge good money for a good job, get paid and jobs a good'un. Now your lucky to even get the job let alone get paid for the buggger.

Well this is the end of the couriering but not the end of me - im off to do some more market research for my new company which is already formed and goes live on the 2nd August, so its exciting times all round really.

One thing I would like to say to my fellow couriers is Good Luck, because in all fairness thats exactly what youl need and some.

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
[faqtag goodnight]
I Used To Run A Courier Company. Now I Sell Tyres...The Best Thing I Ever Did.
http://www.entyrety.com
(Sorry if thats against the rules mods!!)
Noble Express Couriers

Postby A KIRK » Wednesday 7 July 2010, 19:24

BEst of luck, looks like you have thought this through.

A good little write up for people to read.

Enjoy selling tyres
The car in front is my crumple zone
Andrew Kirk AK Couriers http://www.ak-couriers.co.uk
A KIRK

Postby IRMA777 » Wednesday 7 July 2010, 19:46

Yes some very hard facts of life which a lot of noobs need to read and digest. :( shame it had to come to this tho,by the way how long were you trading ?? All the best in your new venture. :lol:
IRMA777

Postby maverick » Wednesday 7 July 2010, 19:55

All the best buddy :wave:
Loadandgo Light Haulage
Uk & Europe
www.loadandgohaulage.com
maverick

Postby MK BIKER » Wednesday 7 July 2010, 20:07

all the best, is there much call for shrinks in Rugby?
MK BIKER

Postby ian » Wednesday 7 July 2010, 21:26

Well all the best in what ever your gonna do next. I have a couple of sidelines while things are quiet. but i really hope newbies take a good look and read what you've written. I dont usually read long posts like this, but i'm so pleased i did. Maybe your post will wake a few newbies up. its always a shame to see someone close the doors for whatever reason.
I have seen a sight where people post work (not an exchange site) but some couriers from the forums are already on there for one reason or another. the thing is....... a GARDENER is quoting for removal and courier work :shock: well 1 man n his person that lives in a caravan (i used to live on a site that had no toilets) pickup needs another job by the looks of things. now thats what we're up against. :roll:
Well good luck again, and dont forget your still welcome to come on and have a moan. tbh you might give me some competition in moaning at the min :lol:
http://www.courierworld.co.uk
A real couriers forum
ian

Postby Darren » Wednesday 7 July 2010, 21:46

Well i'll get slated for this :roll:

but you will only ever get out of a business,and life for that matter, what you are willing to put into it .....

We can all blame others for our own faliure......
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby ian » Wednesday 7 July 2010, 21:53

totally agree Darren, but you have to admit they dont help things.
This is why we get the "how much" questions on here. Oh please dont get me started. i'm goin to bed :lol:
http://www.courierworld.co.uk
A real couriers forum
ian

Postby Fridge » Wednesday 7 July 2010, 21:56

Good luck buddy :)

I am shutting my business down on the 23rd July. Like you, people wanting things delivered in another part of the county for next to nothing. But also because of personal reasons. I am writing plans for another business venture, but that wont take shape for another couple of years or so.

Good luck :wink:
Fridge

Postby Andrew Brown » Wednesday 7 July 2010, 22:20

All the best pal it has been tuff recently but such is life good luck on your new venture take care
A & J Courier Ltd
Van & Motorcycle courier
Andrew Brown

Postby slim » Wednesday 7 July 2010, 22:29

Good Luck Noble. Good write up. Got the T shirt.
slim

Postby Noble Express Couriers » Wednesday 7 July 2010, 23:21

thanks for all the good luck wishes guy....damn Mr Kirk you are good!! :D :D

I dont look at it as a failure but more of a not wanting to fight a losing battle. im also a firm believer of you get out what you put in, but theres only so much you can put in (gamble in my opinion) in the hope that you will get something out of it....if that makes sense.

Anyhow im sure il still keep a keen eye on this forum, it does make good, frustrating, and happy reading all at the same time - thats what makes the forum unique - some of the humour and sarcasm on here is brilliant.

Plus I gotta keep me account active so all you guys can PM me when you require those things that im selling that couriers will need every 10-15k miles or so!!! haha (Note to Mods: Not that im advertising or touting for work!! :D :D )

Cheers again guys!
I Used To Run A Courier Company. Now I Sell Tyres...The Best Thing I Ever Did.
http://www.entyrety.com
(Sorry if thats against the rules mods!!)
Noble Express Couriers

Postby freestyleminibus2 » Thursday 8 July 2010, 07:14

Good luck,my fronts last 90k. :)
As per freestyleminibus.changed my email and lost my login.Just as organised at year end.
Small Van
Xlwb 4m+
Luton Tail Lift half curtain 4m
Gilmartin Light Haulage.
freestyleminibus2

Postby RLT » Thursday 8 July 2010, 07:48

Sad to see someone who has made alot of effort and was professional having to throw in the towel.
I agree with your list, and I lay the blame to this situation of too many chasing too few jobs, mainly with the Freight Exchanges.
They has driven down prices, and enabled the e bay cowboy to prosper.

Good luck in your new venture.

Just hope your wise words will sink in with the 'I love driving and 'what should I charge' brigade, and make many new starters think again!

It wont though

:x
RLT

Postby freddykrugger » Thursday 8 July 2010, 08:13

We were all 'newbies' and startin out at some point.

What is it with people?
ok I can see that more chasing less work will drive prices down, but hey, thats competition.
What gives people the right to a monopoly on the jobs?

I was advised not to enter this career when I started out 4 years or so, ago
but I went ahead cause it was what I wanted.
last year was probably the best I'd had, and the downturn this year I put down to the economy and not some man with van.

Everytime some new guy comes knockin on here, just please remember that probably was you at some point. :lol:

(Stands back and awaits abuse) :lol: :lol:
freddykrugger

Postby Minty » Thursday 8 July 2010, 09:37

Good luck with your new venture, Its always a shame to see experience leave the industry, but it does open new doors for others, thats called life i think.

Times are hard at the moment but I also think that its down to the economy and the lack of confidence we have in the countries finances at the moment not down to the new starters. However saying that I firmly believe that this industry should be regulated a lot more to put a stop to people thinking that its easy money and starting up whenever they like without giving too much thought into what they are doing.
Martyn Peters
07761 547866
"Yes I Am A Professional"
Minty

Postby steve jones » Thursday 8 July 2010, 11:38

Back in the day where the only maps we had was in paper and ink form,this alone would scare alot of people away from the job.Of course a much diffrent story now,even woman are in the job. :lol:
So in short the more skill we take away from the job the more weebles we get entering the job.

Best of Luck.
steve jones

Postby freddykrugger » Thursday 8 July 2010, 11:45

steve jones wrote:So in short the more skill we take away from the job the more weebles we get entering the job.

Best of Luck.

Referring to anyone in particular? or anyone who has started the job in the last few years? which would apply to alot of people, including me
freddykrugger

Postby slim » Thursday 8 July 2010, 11:54

freddykrugger wrote:ok I can see that more chasing less work will drive prices down, but hey, thats competition.

It's as much the big boys implementing systems and practices that smaller companies feel the need to chase to survive.

I apologise for repeating myself, and stating the obvious, but some of the writing was on the wall a long time ago when exchanges were born. As the exchanges become more and more sophisticated, work will be attributed quicker and businesses that shift work will take advantage of the clearly visible best rate by a professional for the job.

We probably need the next stage now. It might suit a venture capitalist to fund a centralised UK exchange that has its OD's financial security as its mainstay ethic.

Legislation would mean those that didn't play ball wouldn't get a shot at anything but the rubbish. To which they are welcome.

It wouldn't need anything other than a record kept of your basic details, and relevant legal requirements. Yes it would cost because I suppose a picture ID card, or a pin number you use on a customers computer (using your own personal secure input device? Mobile app?) would open your account details on a central database which can then be utilised by the consignor and consignee where possible to facilitate everything from pods to billing, thus ensuring a customer you had never dealt with was confident in dealing with you.
Anyone dodging the tax man would vanish, squaring up the supply and demand dynamic back in favour of those who don't.

-----------------------------------------------

Larger companies with inhouse UK networks 'churn and burn' noob OD's every week, they're too big to attempt to keep drivers happy and on long term arrangements, so they don't bother and take advantage as much as they can. They manage this by taking advantage of their subbies inability to add up, or that they have low personal overheads and gov't handouts.

Quite a few couldn't care less about doing it legally anyway and that also has an effect on their acceptance of their rate and the consequent lower overhead for the user. Such a legal requirement to have a continual record of the driver's data specific to usage within the industry would eventually uphold correct rates for survival and quality experienced drivers capable of good work would become valued, those of you in niche work would be more likely be unaffected. I'm pretty sure a few companies would lose a good part of their workforce overnight which would alter the supply and demand dynamic, and therefore the base rate.

Sorry.. that was a bit of a ramble. :D
slim

Postby slim » Thursday 8 July 2010, 12:16

freddykrugger wrote:
steve jones wrote:So in short the more skill we take away from the job the more weebles we get entering the job.

Best of Luck.

Referring to anyone in particular? or anyone who has started the job in the last few years? which would apply to alot of people, including me

Steve your spot on. Freddy don't take it personally unless you consider yourself a weeble. He clearly meant that not all noobs have got what it takes and as its pretty much the simplest form of self employment
to enter they do so before calculating the risks properly, generally taking several months to realise they are losing money, but your better than that are you not?

"Weebles wobble but they don't fall down". (Wiki quote)

This one passed me by Steve, but amusingly apt, but probably suited to those that hang on in there for a bit longer. Noob, Weeble, Clever Clog, KnowitAll, Old Git the natural progression of an OD. :lol:
slim

Postby The Enforcer » Thursday 8 July 2010, 12:20

slim wrote: "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down". (Wiki quote)

This one passed me by Steve, but amusingly apt, but probably suited to those that hang on in there for a bit longer. Noob, Weeble, Clever Clog, KnowitAll, Old Git the natural progression of an OD. :lol:

8) Weeble was added by someone to replace what steve actually said, saved having to delete him for rule breaking 8)
The Enforcer
Site Admin

Postby Bluenose » Thursday 8 July 2010, 12:50

Noble Express Couriers wrote:thanks for all the good luck wishes guy....damn Mr Kirk you are good!! :D :D

I dont look at it as a failure but more of a not wanting to fight a losing battle. im also a firm believer of you get out what you put in, but theres only so much you can put in (gamble in my opinion) in the hope that you will get something out of it....if that makes sense.

Anyhow im sure il still keep a keen eye on this forum, it does make good, frustrating, and happy reading all at the same time - thats what makes the forum unique - some of the humour and sarcasm on here is brilliant.

Plus I gotta keep me account active so all you guys can PM me when you require those things that im selling that couriers will need every 10-15k miles or so!!! haha (Note to Mods: Not that im advertising or touting for work!! :D :D )

Cheers again guys!

If you think the courier market is saturated, wait till you start selling tyres. Good luck anyway.
Bluenose

Next

Return to The interchange