Waiting Time

General discussion, news, views, jokes, moans, business questions that don't fit on the other forums.

Waiting Time

Postby Kevin Chaplin » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 13:52

I've searched the forums I promise. So can anyone tell about waiting time? ie what to charge and what the minimum time you would charge for.
Kevin Chaplin

Postby Ross Dymond » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 14:17

I don't really have experience of waiting yet. However I would say £40 an hour, half hour minimum sounds reasonable? Maybe more towards the £50 an hour?
Ross Dymond

Postby dino » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 14:44

Ross Dymond wrote:I don't really have experience of waiting yet. However I would say £40 an hour, half hour minimum sounds reasonable? Maybe more towards the £50 an hour?

:yikes:
£50 an hour waiting time , remind me never to put any work your way.
!!!!!!KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE!!!!!!
dino

Waiting time

Postby Kevin Chaplin » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 14:52

So 40-50 is too much so whatis right then?
If you aways do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.
Kevin Chaplin

Postby Noble Express Couriers » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 15:34

So 40-50 is too much so whatis right then?

Just slightly - £50 an hour for doing nothing - if only it was that easy!

Usual is 10-15 with the 1st half hour free!! or perhaps thats just me!!
I Used To Run A Courier Company. Now I Sell Tyres...The Best Thing I Ever Did.
http://www.entyrety.com
(Sorry if thats against the rules mods!!)
Noble Express Couriers

Postby ray valentine » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 15:45

If you are waiting to load or unload you are still getting paid for the work, it is just the wait that has not been priced, As there are no running costs (except the extra Tea you may buy) and all other cost are covered in the price, it is just your time, so how much do you earn an hour?
I normally allow twenty minuets to load or unload, but it depends on the distance i have traveled.
If you find you are waiting then contact the person that organized the job (your customer) usually the threat of waiting time is enough to get things moving.
Remember if you charge waiting time and your competitors don't you may loose any future work.
Ray Valentine Refrigerated Vans.
Temperature Controlled Courier.
ray valentine

Postby RLT » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 15:54

Never charge customers waiting time.

Although some subbies expect it as the norm :shock:

If one has to wait an 'unreasonable' amount of time, which is very rare in all the years I have been doing this, a simple chat with the customer usually results in them either telling me to add a few ££££ on to the job or on to the next job. If you have a good relationship with the customer I can't see a problem.
RLT

Postby Ross Dymond » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 16:30

dino wrote:
Ross Dymond wrote:I don't really have experience of waiting yet. However I would say £40 an hour, half hour minimum sounds reasonable? Maybe more towards the £50 an hour?

:yikes:
£50 an hour waiting time , remind me never to put any work your way.

No need for that mate. I did mention I had no experience of it and have no researched that area yet. It was simply a guess However thanks to this thread I hopefully won't have to in the future.
Ross Dymond

Postby Hitman84 » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 17:04

675 wrote:Never charge customers waiting time.

If one has to wait an 'unreasonable' amount of time, which is very rare in all the years I have been doing this, a simple chat with the customer usually results in them either telling me to add a few ££££ on to the job or on to the next job. If you have a good relationship with the customer I can't see a problem.

If your charging the waiting time, then why wouldnt you pass this on to the subbie ?

I know where your coming from though, had a delivery to the rosebowl southampton this morning, had an hour and half wait. BUT this customer pays his invoice upon him recieving it, BACS into our bank acct within days. So therefore lenient with the waiting time and also puts a lot of work through us. Off there again tomorrow, but only 1 envelope sized package so just a drop and go !! (i hope) also a job to Llanfyllin - Powys - small van needing covering still !
Hitman84

Postby Hitman84 » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 17:06

PS - this isnt an advert or a hint for people to cover my work etc etc, in case people think im advertising on here, im not ! just stating that ive still yet to sort out a subbie for it thats all, not that im looking for one. phew - now i can sleep with that off my chest ! :-)
Hitman84

Waiting time

Postby Kevin Chaplin » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 17:13

Thanks guys agree with not charging for waitin time, it's just that I sa it on another thread and wondered what it was. God this forum is great aint it? :lol:
If you aways do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.
Kevin Chaplin

Postby RLT » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 18:22

If your charging the waiting time, then why wouldnt you pass this on to the subbie ?

I did not say that! I have & do pay subbies waiting time!
But I do not charge my customers as I previously mentioned!

Anyway I run my affairs as I wish, like it or lump it!
RLT

Postby Hitman84 » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 18:39

Do as you likey !

Think id rather lump it thanks, wasnt really interested in what your business affairs are. Was just making a point that your way is not the only way, if it works for you then good for you.
Hitman84

Postby RLT » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 18:42

Hitman84 wrote:

Do as you likey !

Think id rather lump it thanks, wasnt really interested in what your business affairs are. Was just making a point that your way is not the only way, if it works for you then good for you.

RLT

Postby RLT » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 18:50

After all the years I have been doing this, I can guarantee that Customers hate nothing more than being told that the original price quoted no longer stands, because 'I had to wait nearly an hour to be unloaded' [or whatever]

It would annoy me too! I have customers that stopped using others for that reason.

Surely people do not charge more if they are stuck in a traffic queue for over an hour?
:?

similar scenario one thinks?
RLT

Postby Darren » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 19:04

Think i have charged it once. That was more of a shot across the bows than anything else so they get thereselves sorted out :D

I'll pay waiting time if asked for it and it is justified, but i always find when i get the call that it aint ready waiting time blah blah blah i say fine pull off the job invoice me for a non collection and go and do one of the many other jobs you have lined up then :roll: and i'll get someone else to cover it :roll:

I will say its mainly the "Green around the gills" that spout the waiting time charges, where as the old hands know to take it in there stride :roll:
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby slim » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 19:16

Why is this such a thorny subject?

Everyone else can do as they wish, but my own experience is that waiting time for vans has been around £20 per hour for years. This is a figure I have come across in London several times and widely accepted as the norm. If a client sends you somewhere on a wait and return, even though the return helps your job rate, you are still not available to do anything else and will be losing income if you're normally busy. 15 mins at each end before charging and I often did 25 mins not charged for, half hour is my trigger point max.

Subbie to subbie is a delicate balance of being as helpful as you can, and protecting your own interests. I wouldn't accept £10 an hour as reasonable.
Work out what you normally earn in a week for the hours worked, chop the fuel, thats what your worth. If the client is a bit spesh you'll use your wits.
Last edited by slim on Tuesday 15 June 2010, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
slim

Postby ray valentine » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 19:20

So what do you do when no one wants to unload you and you have another job to go to?
Ray Valentine Refrigerated Vans.
Temperature Controlled Courier.
ray valentine

Postby slim » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 19:38

I'm ashamed to admit it, but once a VERY long time ago I had a pallet of frozen cakes ( i wasn't chilled ) from Heathrow to Gatwick, I'd doubled up and had been promised a fast tip at Gatwick.

I got there and was told wait half an hour, or I think i need my nappy changed off ...his words not mine.

!5mph in reverse and their warehouse entrance was a Kipling disaster area.

Eton Mess was on the menu on a few aircraft that day.

Letting myself lose it big time then, still reminds me to chill nowadays.
slim

Postby bradley jones » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 20:14

Wise words
bradley jones

Postby ian » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 20:46

i think the average waiting time is about £10/£15. i dont charge for the first hour. then usually £10 ph after. i never charge my RSPCA customer cos its rare i have to wait, but i have other perks which compensate if and when i do have to wait a short while. i usually help carry everything into the delivery including his tools. you got a good customer you look after them, even if we have had a few harsh words in the past. he still stays with me cos he knows I'M THE BEST :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
http://www.courierworld.co.uk
A real couriers forum
ian

Postby Hitman84 » Tuesday 15 June 2010, 21:01

again, as stated earlier, how everyone runs their own business is up to them, charge it or dont charge it, entirely up to you.
Hitman84

Next

Return to The interchange