Ive decided, Im buying a van!

General discussion, news, views, jokes, moans, business questions that don't fit on the other forums.

Ive decided, Im buying a van!

Postby stevegarside » Thursday 18 February 2010, 21:12

After careful consideration, i have decided to buy a van. What with hiring one at around £150 a week, I have found to buy a 5 year old renault master for around £3500 (no vat) on finance will be around £150 per MONTH! Even maintaining it myself it will still be a lot cheaper and will cut my overheads by more than half! If I have a van on my driveway, I know too many people for it to fail, I can even do the 'man with a van' thing at weekends.

[faqtag rent or buy]
stevegarside

Postby dino » Thursday 18 February 2010, 21:27

Well I've always bought but you need to remember that with hire it is all tax deductable :wink:
!!!!!!KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE!!!!!!
dino

Re: Ive decided, Im buying a van!

Postby RLT » Thursday 18 February 2010, 21:28

stevegarside wrote:After careful consideration, i have decided to buy a van. What with hiring one at around £150 a week, I have found to buy a 5 year old renault master for around £3500 (no vat) on finance will be around £150 per MONTH! Even maintaining it myself it will still be a lot cheaper and will cut my overheads by more than half! If I have a van on my driveway, I know too many people for it to fail, I can even do the 'man with a van' thing at weekends.

Hope the Renault you buy is more reliable than mine was :shock:

Lost thousands on mine,

New £22k [I paid £18k ] Top of the range, full electric pack etc etc
Warranty 70k or 3 yrs whichever is sooner
Catastrophic gearbox failure after 72k miles
£1800 to fix
less than another 1000 miles yet another £1200 breakdown!
I think i need my nappy changed off with it and offered £3K yes £3K :yikes: from main dealer.
Still owed £6k on finance
managed after alot of hassle to get £4k

Welcome to the world of being a courier!
RLT

Postby freestyleminibus2 » Thursday 18 February 2010, 21:49

chocolate box gearboxes
As per freestyleminibus.changed my email and lost my login.Just as organised at year end.
Small Van
Xlwb 4m+
Luton Tail Lift half curtain 4m
Gilmartin Light Haulage.
freestyleminibus2

Postby Craig Souter » Thursday 18 February 2010, 23:39

Well, I've bought new on a lease deal - and my advice is buy a used van, ex-renter, low miles.
Or something unfashionable, low miles - you see perfectly good SEATs going through the auctions, the dealers don't want them, and you know they are just Caddies with another label.

You need the advantage of low miles, you don't need the depreciation. If I do 65k miles in a year, the van is dead in two years, and I'd rather pay 2k a year for that van than 4k, which is the least it costs in a new one.

The renters are always well maintained, the companies sell them before it gets to MOT time. Pick carefully, and be sure you get all the keys -
http://www.consumeraffairs.co.uk//showthread.php?t=32[/url]
Craig Souter

Postby Darren » Thursday 18 February 2010, 23:48

Craig Souter wrote:Well, I've bought new on a lease deal - and my advice is buy a used van, ex-renter, low miles.
Or something unfashionable, low miles - you see perfectly good SEATs going through the auctions, the dealers don't want them, and you know they are just Caddies with another label.

You need the advantage of low miles, you don't need the depreciation. If I do 65k miles in a year, the van is dead in two years, and I'd rather pay 2k a year for that van than 4k, which is the least it costs in a new one.

The renters are always well maintained, the companies sell them before it gets to MOT time. Pick carefully, and be sure you get all the keys -

Buy Pre Reg or ex Demo

Depreciation comes straight off your Tax bill so why worry about it ?

When your £2 k van wants a £2k engine and pump 6 months after you bought it what do you do ?

Don't be fooled by the old myth that the Rental Co's look after there vehicles because they do not .

The reason being they dump them in the auctions prior to wanting any real maintanance or MOT Work.
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby Fridge » Friday 19 February 2010, 00:17

Don't spend loads on a van

I have a transit.. Would like a lwb but funds not available.. :roll:

Look at a LDV convoy.. cant go wrong with them :lol: :lol:
Fridge

Postby RLT » Friday 19 February 2010, 00:19

Fridge wrote:Don't spend loads on a van

I have a transit.. Would like a lwb but funds not available.. :roll:

Look at a LDV convoy.. cant go wrong with them :lol: :lol:

:yikes:
RLT

Postby RLT » Friday 19 February 2010, 00:21

Darren wrote:
Craig Souter wrote:Well, I've bought new on a lease deal - and my advice is buy a used van, ex-renter, low miles.

Can vouch for that after watching a mechanic wash a paper oil filter in paraffin and pop it back in the can! :shock:
Last edited by RLT on Friday 19 February 2010, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
RLT

Postby Darren » Friday 19 February 2010, 00:36

Had a van from a Renatal company took it in for service and told them the clutch was not working now, i accidentally sat on it and my huge weight killed it.

Next day went to pick it up and it would not move :roll: So i left it running in first gear and dragged the service manager out of his office and bet him £100 He could not get to the end of there yard in it.

He told Me that it was due to go to auction and they had not intention whatsoever to spend any money on it :yikes:

Amother National rantal company had a Hose burst on a 7.5 tnr . Guy came out no hose but did a "Temporary Repair" AKA bodge. :lol:

8 weeks later got the same truck on spot hire and Yes the Temporary repaired Hose Exploded again :roll: :roll:
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby stevegarside » Friday 19 February 2010, 22:50

I am not necessarily after a renault master, just an example I saw. I would LOVE a tranny (think that as how you want :twisted: ) but generally sticking with that plan. Got to sort the money out first though. Contacted business link, hopefully for a grant of some sort. Starting in the new tax year, roll on!!
stevegarside

Postby RLT » Friday 19 February 2010, 23:16

stevegarside wrote:I am not necessarily after a renault master, just an example I saw. I would LOVE a tranny (think that as how you want :twisted: ) but generally sticking with that plan. Got to sort the money out first though. Contacted business link, hopefully for a grant of some sort. Starting in the new tax year, roll on!!

I'd be amazed if Business Link or anyone for that matter would give a grant to a courier! :shock:

If they did it would be an unbelievable 'management decision' to offer one for such an unpredictable industry.
RLT

Postby stevegarside » Saturday 20 February 2010, 10:24

Hey! nothing ventured, nothing gained! :wink:

Its worth a try to get some of our tax money back from Mr Brown!!
stevegarside

Postby freestyleminibus2 » Saturday 20 February 2010, 10:37

.....and give it straight back to the French when that Renault starts breaking down. :roll:
As per freestyleminibus.changed my email and lost my login.Just as organised at year end.
Small Van
Xlwb 4m+
Luton Tail Lift half curtain 4m
Gilmartin Light Haulage.
freestyleminibus2

Postby A KIRK » Saturday 20 February 2010, 11:20

Your best of sticking with either Ford, Merc or VW when it comes down to vans, they seema little more robust that other makes
The car in front is my crumple zone
Andrew Kirk AK Couriers http://www.ak-couriers.co.uk
A KIRK

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Return to The interchange