What Technology Is Required By Couriers?

General discussion, news, views, jokes, moans, business questions that don't fit on the other forums.

What Technology Is Required By Couriers?

Postby Craig Souter » Wednesday 3 February 2010, 14:14

I'm going to start working as a courier again.

I've been doing other things for a while, and in that time technology has advanced. SatNav and these computerised telephone things are now commonplace.

Since I date from the days when couriers used maps, and mobile phones were just becoming affordable, I thought I might ask what people consider "minimum equipment" for courier work these days.

I've got the van and a mobile phone ...

[faqtag technology]
Craig Souter

Postby Toastie » Wednesday 3 February 2010, 14:23

Sat nav with multi drop is a good thing even if your pricing up sameday work ,as you can tell the customer how far your away from pick up miles or minutes and how much the job will cost as you can enter 3 locations

this ones a good un check out the spec

http://shop.snooperdirect.com/product1390186.html
Toastie

Postby steve jones » Wednesday 3 February 2010, 14:29

I still work off map's,i carry a satnav in the glove just incase there's a new estate popped up so i can then pin point it on the map,and of course a behind the times phone,thats all the tech i have in my van.
steve jones

Postby Stuart Moverley » Wednesday 3 February 2010, 14:44

Some (like me) have notebook computers c/w internet access available in the van. Not essential, I know, but often handy. All depends how much dosh you fancy throwing at it I suppose.
Manadon Despatch
'05 Citroen Berlingo
tel: 01752 769713 / mob: 07794 806257
Stuart Moverley

Postby Craig Souter » Wednesday 3 February 2010, 14:58

Stuart Moverley wrote:Some (like me) have notebook computers c/w internet access available in the van. Not essential, I know, but often handy. All depends how much dosh you fancy throwing at it I suppose.

Well, I don't want to throw a lot of money at it - but I can see that it is easier to find backloads coming up with a computer in the van.

I suppose the real question is "what is the cheapest way to access the internet when you are away from home"?
Craig Souter

Postby A KIRK » Wednesday 3 February 2010, 15:20

My set up is phone, and an old laptop which is also my satnav, and gives me full internet access, its 10 years old now, and the map software I'm using is 6 years old, but has served me well.

Personally I think absolute minimum is a mobile phone, if your happy with maps then use them, but its always good to have a satnav, but rememnber common sense must be used with a satnav, never rely on it 100%
The car in front is my crumple zone
Andrew Kirk AK Couriers http://www.ak-couriers.co.uk
A KIRK

Postby slim » Wednesday 3 February 2010, 18:22

I'm pretty much in the same place as Craig at the minute, on the cusp of returning, and being a map man (big box full :oops:) really only see the sat nav useful for final miles. I can usually beat a suggested route with a quicker one avoiding traffic.

With the various setups that everyone has i'm drawn towards the notebook/laptop linked phone especially as any downtime en route can be used to tidy up 'paperwork'.

Of particular interest to me is having a heads up on heavy traffic in good time.

google maps has this facility which i presume is linked to the highways agency site which i always consult.

In 'real time on the job' does this work well. Anyone had a tug because the lappy was lit up on the dash ( can't see the difference myself) and the plod didn't like it.
slim

Postby A KIRK » Wednesday 3 February 2010, 18:37

Nope, but my lappy sits on my middle passenger seat, never had an issue, but then I don't sit a look at it all the time.

I've just bought a newer lappy and some newer software

http://directions.ltd.uk/laptop-navigation/navigator-9-professional-gb-and-ireland

I just bought the above as the one I have now is 6 years old, oh they do have a cheaper more basic one though
The car in front is my crumple zone
Andrew Kirk AK Couriers http://www.ak-couriers.co.uk
A KIRK

Postby slim » Wednesday 3 February 2010, 19:06

Thx Andy fifty quid seems reasonable.
slim

Postby bramble43 » Wednesday 3 February 2010, 19:26

Laptop in the van, got a little notebook thing that fits in the panniers of bike so i can check backloads, banking, invoicing, take credit/debit cards, surf while waiting etc.
Also use pda for tracking and emails on the go, this also has tomtom software installed as a backup for my main tomtom rider - the waterproof one.
Motorcycle courier, same day/direct throughout the UK & Euro - Contact details on profile. Please don't call asking for advice on becoming a courier. This is what the forum is for.
bramble43
Site owner

Postby Stuart Farrington » Wednesday 3 February 2010, 20:36

As every one has said sat nav is a great tool, I've taken a laptop with me in the past but have recently got a HTC Tattoo android phone with internet access and GPS. I also have online tracking with locatea.net on my phone.

The great thing with mobile internet is you can kill time browsing forums and exchange sites if you are waiting to get loaded, etc. In fact I'm replying whilst on a ferry to Isle of Wight.
Stuart Farrington
Tel: 07849 986340
email: stuart@stuartfarrington.co.uk
Follow me on twitter

Vauxhall Combo 1.3 CDTi van
Stuart Farrington

Postby slim » Wednesday 3 February 2010, 20:42

Liar. Your still on the pier. "Track your van" :lol:

..........ahhhh........NOW your wet 1943hrs
slim

Postby Stuart Moverley » Wednesday 3 February 2010, 20:51

Stuart Farrington wrote:In fact I'm replying whilst on a ferry to Isle of Wight.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but according to the tracker on your website, you're not on a ferry. Your van is currently in the water between Netley & Hythe ... you've sunk matey. :lol:
Manadon Despatch
'05 Citroen Berlingo
tel: 01752 769713 / mob: 07794 806257
Stuart Moverley

Postby Darren » Wednesday 3 February 2010, 21:35

Stuart Farrington wrote:As every one has said sat nav is a great tool, I've taken a laptop with me in the past but have recently got a HTC Tattoo android phone with internet access and GPS. I also have online tracking with locatea.net on my phone.

The great thing with mobile internet is you can kill time browsing forums and exchange sites if you are waiting to get loaded, etc. In fact I'm replying whilst on a ferry to Isle of Wight.

Is n't that classed as Roamimg :?:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby MK BIKER » Wednesday 3 February 2010, 23:12

Darren wrote:
Stuart Farrington wrote:As every one has said sat nav is a great tool, I've taken a laptop with me in the past but have recently got a HTC Tattoo android phone with internet access and GPS. I also have online tracking with locatea.net on my phone.

I thought it was Sailing?
MK BIKER

Postby ch-logistics » Thursday 4 February 2010, 06:02

MK BIKER wrote:
Darren wrote:

I thought it was Sailing?

the IOW ferry doesnt have sails

:D
Ch-logistics
‘Bringing Shopping Home’
tel: 07788 63 43 73
ch-logistics

Postby MK BIKER » Thursday 4 February 2010, 11:14

but in its timetable it gives sailing times!

it has loads of sales in the coffee shop :wink:
MK BIKER

Postby Craig Souter » Thursday 4 February 2010, 18:44

Thanks for the helpful answers.

I think I can see another advantage to using the laptop as a satnav.

Can you use it to get the mileage and journey time, so you don't need something like Autoroute? My ancient copy disappeared with burglars a long time back.

I do know I need another laptop, because my old one doesn't have modern standard USB!
Craig Souter

I,O,W ferry

Postby bob griffiths » Wednesday 10 February 2010, 12:00

if you carry your own tea bags you can get a free cuppa, better than nearly 2 quid fof a brew, :oops:
1 vito 1 transit connect, with lady driver, going any where in uk, hands free phones and sat nav, 20k git, 2mil p/l.
bob griffiths

Return to The interchange