Sign Writing

General discussion, news, views, jokes, moans, business questions that don't fit on the other forums.

Sign written or not

Poll ended at Thursday 11 February 2010, 13:07

Dont bother it will upset your main contractor
18%
Do it its your van you paid for it they dont use you every day
64%
do it but small tags just so people who want to read it can
18%

Total votes : 22

Sign Writing

Postby Toastie » Thursday 28 January 2010, 13:07

I know there's items like this been asked before, but what would you do.
Ok I have a small customer base, I'm a signed up driver as well and i use one of the freight exchange sites

So my question is to sign write the whole van big large letters or not just leave the old girl plain or to have a small tag one on the rear door and one on the front doors each side and a logo just under the front grill. size wise 400mm x 200mm

I will thank you for the votes and the replies in advance

Ken

[faqtag should i signwrite]
Toastie

Postby bramble43 » Thursday 28 January 2010, 13:18

Usually have mine plain, BUT

Just put some on mine, bonnet and back doors only, made a difference when in Europe, only got stopped once, quick look and sent on my way, UK customs had a quick glimpse in the back and sent me on my way.
When plain everybody and their dog wanted to do a full investigation.
UK customs liked to strip it to find my hidden whatever they thought i was carrying despite giving them my hr insurance, delivery sheets, passport, licence, business cards etc etc

If you are going for your own customers then have it written, may not help immediately but have something to get noticed and a logo, then when someone looks for a courier they may again see your logo online, in yellow pages etc and think, ah yeah. seen them about
Motorcycle courier, same day/direct throughout the UK & Euro - Contact details on profile. Please don't call asking for advice on becoming a courier. This is what the forum is for.
bramble43
Site owner

Postby RLT » Thursday 28 January 2010, 13:18

its your van
Its your choice

Pro's & Cons have been talked over many times, but you WILL reduce your chances of some work if you do.

magnets? :?:
RLT

Postby Toastie » Thursday 28 January 2010, 13:25

No magnets please
Toastie

Postby Bob Johnson » Thursday 28 January 2010, 13:46

As 675,

It really depends on each individual circumstance.

Mine is sign written because most of the work is for my own customers, however if you are doing a fair whack of sub-contract many people would rather you use plain vans.
Bob Johnson

Postby steve jones » Thursday 28 January 2010, 13:51

For security reason i never bothered with sign writing,it's abit like that little sticker electricians put on there rear doors saying (No power tools left on this vehicle over night),yeah right a good advertisment for a chav to have a pop,same as a courier van,a chav will have a pop if he thinks there a chance of something being onboard,it 50/50 for him
But with a plain van,will he bother doing your window.
steve jones

Postby Bob Johnson » Thursday 28 January 2010, 16:45

Would quite agree with that, unwritten vans may be a personal van and therefore more likely to have something of value in, a courier van is likely to have nothing in it
Bob Johnson

Postby Toastie » Thursday 28 January 2010, 17:37

Just put some on mine, bonnet and back doors only, made a difference when in Europe, only got stopped once, quick look and sent on my way, UK customs had a quick glimpse in the back and sent me on my way.
When plain everybody and their dog wanted to do a full investigation.
UK customs liked to strip it to find my hidden whatever they thought i was carrying despite giving them my hr insurance, delivery sheets, passport, licence, business cards etc etc

I agree bramble everytime i go to the O2 arena its like I'm going to bomb the place and always get stopped by the police

anyway could you send me some phtos of your van please
Toastie

Postby Andrew Brown » Thursday 28 January 2010, 18:42

Ken Roast wrote:No magnets please

I have always used magnetic signs and love them, use as and when you feel the need and they dont upset those that want a clean van,

But one thing never ever put them on near or in the surrounding area where you have picked up from if they have requested plain van (not me but a pal lost a nice contract doing this)
A & J Courier Ltd
Van & Motorcycle courier
Andrew Brown

Postby Ian Clibbon » Thursday 28 January 2010, 19:00

For security reason i never bothered with sign writing,it's abit like that little sticker electricians put on there rear doors saying (No power tools left on this vehicle over night),yeah right a good advertisment for a chav to have a pop,same as a courier van,a chav will have a pop if he thinks there a chance of something being onboard,it 50/50 for him
But with a plain van,will he bother doing your window.

Wouldn't agree with that my van is unsignwritten but didn't stop some chav doing the back door :evil:
When im not working im catching up on sleep, somebody has to deliver the papers.
http://www.clibbscouriers.co.uk
Ian Clibbon

Postby MK BIKER » Thursday 28 January 2010, 20:05

:idea: How about a sign written van with white magnets? :idea:

best of all worlds
Plain van at your contractors customer!
Advertising on the go!
No fly away magnets!
MK BIKER

Postby Andrew Brown » Thursday 28 January 2010, 20:09

Theres always one :roll:
A & J Courier Ltd
Van & Motorcycle courier
Andrew Brown

Postby MK BIKER » Thursday 28 January 2010, 20:11

Andrew Brown wrote:Theres always one :roll:

I would love to say that was my idea but, I heard it somewhere!
MK BIKER

Postby dino » Thursday 28 January 2010, 20:27

get it done like people have said it's your van customers take you more serious as well and customs leave you alone if you want to be a subby then plain is best if you want your own customers get it signed up,it's a free add(apart from the cost to have it done)that your driving round in.
!!!!!!KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE!!!!!!
dino

Postby RLT » Friday 29 January 2010, 20:08

dinoakaliam wrote:get it done like people have said it's your van customers take you more serious as well and customs leave you alone if you want to be a subby then plain is best if you want your own customers get it signed up,it's a free add(apart from the cost to have it done)that your driving round in.

Looks ok but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
As said chances of work for alot of customers reduced, as for the Customs ignoring you, that is not the case. I know both signed van users and plain that have had their vans took apart, makes no difference :roll:
RLT

Postby A KIRK » Friday 29 January 2010, 20:20

The main thing to consider is your client base, if most of your client base is subby work, then its probably best not to sign it, however if most of your client base are your own clients or you intend building up your own client base then have it sign written.

Personally I;m all for nice small subtle signage lol

The car in front is my crumple zone
Andrew Kirk AK Couriers http://www.ak-couriers.co.uk
A KIRK

Postby dave creek » Tuesday 2 February 2010, 02:40

I had mine done with vinyl lettering so it also preserves the van a bit for resale, only cost £150 and you can def see me coming.
dave creek

Postby MK BIKER » Tuesday 2 February 2010, 08:18

dave creek wrote:and you can def see me coming.

Yep vouch for that!
MK BIKER

Postby dave creek » Tuesday 2 February 2010, 10:25

well I am the shy and retiring type, no I believe that the more you get your name out there the better, thats why I went for a name that was a little different without being stupid (I hope).
Do get lots of comments about it, mostly along the lines of ooh er mrs ! I bet you are :oops:
dave creek

Postby dino » Tuesday 2 February 2010, 13:07

dave creek wrote:well I am the shy and retiring type, no I believe that the more you get your name out there the better, thats why I went for a name that was a little different without being stupid (I hope).
Do get lots of comments about it, mostly along the lines of ooh er mrs ! I bet you are :oops:

Need a photo Dave
!!!!!!KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE!!!!!!
dino

Postby slim » Tuesday 2 February 2010, 13:22

hit his site link Dino.

Reckon he missed a trick, could've had a Bond type dude with a courier envelope instead of a gun.

and do his deliveries in a tux and bow tie

"Mishus Munnypenny, Shign here........."

okay, leaving......
slim

Postby dave creek » Tuesday 2 February 2010, 14:04

Well Im shaken but not stirred by those comments, the tux only comes out if the job pays £500 + :wink:
my invoices have a man with top hat and cane etc, would be happy to supply one :lol:
dave creek

Next

Return to The interchange