Unable to insure private vehicle

General discussion, news, views, jokes, moans, business questions that don't fit on the other forums.

Unable to insure private vehicle

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 13 January 2010, 11:51

Hi, not wishing to break any advertising rules in this forum, but could anybody point me in the right direction.
Having taken early retirement I am investigating investing my pay-off in becoming a part-time courier to supplement my pension, but before taking the plunge I thought I would test the water using my own vehicle (1997 Ford Galaxy Ghia X DTi) by offering my services as a sub-contractor to local courier firms.
To that end I am trying to obtain quotes for the correct vehicle insurance. I have never had any claims or convictions in over 30 years of driving, but having phoned round various insurance brokers the vast majority will only insure commercial vehicles for courier work and a couple of others who do insure private vehicles for courier work have said my vehicle (not me) is too old.
Can anybody recommend an insurers who might be willing to give me a quote?
Many thanks.
Anonymous

Postby Stuart Farrington » Wednesday 13 January 2010, 12:39

Duncan, have you tried Ribble Insurance brokers in Preston on 01772 333818?

I have my van insured through them, not sure if they cover cars but worth a call.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

[faqtag insure private car]
Stuart Farrington
Tel: 07849 986340
email: stuart@stuartfarrington.co.uk
Follow me on twitter

Vauxhall Combo 1.3 CDTi van
Stuart Farrington

Postby dino » Wednesday 13 January 2010, 13:05

There is also http://www.staveleyhead.co.uk/ I use thease and last year decided to ring round see if anyone could beat there quote but i was wasting my time no one could touch them, If they can't do it i think you might struggle.(By the way before you ask NO I'm not on any commission)

Also dont know how much work you will get in an R reg car there are not many courier companys will use you i fear. :no:
Hope you prove me wrong Duncan good luck
!!!!!!KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE!!!!!!
dino

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 13 January 2010, 14:52

Many thanks for the response guys. Staveley Head were one of the many that only deal with commercial vehicles, and checking my spreadsheet Ribble had not responded - so I chased them up and they sounded positive. Am awaiting a call back with a quote.
Once again thanks.
Anonymous

Postby Bob Johnson » Wednesday 13 January 2010, 15:22

I believe Aviva will insure you but make sure its the correct cover
Bob Johnson

Postby bramble43 » Wednesday 13 January 2010, 15:36

e-courier.co.uk

or something like that
Motorcycle courier, same day/direct throughout the UK & Euro - Contact details on profile. Please don't call asking for advice on becoming a courier. This is what the forum is for.
bramble43
Site owner

Postby A KIRK » Wednesday 13 January 2010, 16:32

Cars are more expensive to insure for H&R than commercial vehicles, and you will find it hsarder to cover, but there are companies out there that will do it, keep searching on google.

Failing that you could always ask Mayyg for advice!!!!!!!
The car in front is my crumple zone
Andrew Kirk AK Couriers http://www.ak-couriers.co.uk
A KIRK

Postby MK BIKER » Wednesday 13 January 2010, 19:15

funny that, i have heard from 2 other people (plus me) that Ribble dont return calls when they are supposed to.
MK BIKER

Postby Bob Johnson » Wednesday 13 January 2010, 19:53

MK BIKER wrote:funny that, i have heard from 2 other people (plus me) that Ribble dont return calls when they are supposed to.

Add myself to that!

In the end went with someone else instead
Bob Johnson

Postby Colin Binns » Thursday 14 January 2010, 08:13

removed
Last edited by Colin Binns on Wednesday 9 June 2010, 06:33, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Binns

Postby MK BIKER » Thursday 14 January 2010, 11:12

Colin Binns wrote:I know mail order couriers use their own cars, however, Duncan, I think the fundamental problem with cars is they aren't really secure. Too much glass and not enough unglazed metal protecting the consignment as with vans. When unattended, smash a window grab the goodies.

Duncan Hewitt:
"I would test the water using my own vehicle (1997 Ford Galaxy Ghia X DTi) by offering my services as a sub-contractor to local courier firms."

In the top right hand corner of each post is a quote button, like so :wink: makes it easier

Whilist that is true I thought we were talking about vehicle insurance which wouldnt cover the goods carried anyhow, van insurance doesnt does it?
MK BIKER

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 14 January 2010, 13:24

Whilist that is true I thought we were talking about vehicle insurance which wouldnt cover the goods carried anyhow, van insurance doesnt does it?[/quote]

That is my understanding as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I would still require GiT and Public Liability Inusrance on top of the vehicle insurance.
Ribble have now come back with a qoute - a little over 4 figures for vehicle insurance and around £250 for £15k GiT and £2m Pub. Lib.
All in all about £1500 which was more or less what I was expecting initially. What did suprise me was that they suggested it wouldn't be a lot different on a commercial van.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 14 January 2010, 13:31

MK BIKER wrote:"In the top right hand corner of each post is a quote button, like so :wink: makes it easier."

Only for some!
I'll get there in the end - once I work out which bits to delete.
Anonymous

Postby MK BIKER » Thursday 14 January 2010, 13:56

so...... they cant justify higher premium for H&R on cars on the basis of security as they wouldnt cover the stolen items anyway, maybe they are assesing the risk repeated claims on glass cover of the vehicle insurance.
MK BIKER

Postby dino » Thursday 14 January 2010, 16:03

I think you have a good deal there Duncan
!!!!!!KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE!!!!!!
dino

Postby Colin Binns » Thursday 14 January 2010, 23:01

removed
Last edited by Colin Binns on Wednesday 9 June 2010, 06:33, edited 1 time in total.
Colin Binns

Postby Darren » Thursday 14 January 2010, 23:50

Duncan,

Seems no one wants to say it so i will :D

The financial outlay you will have,and the desire to work part time as a top up of your pension income will not work out.

It may be to your advantage to look at the Private Hire/Taxi business work 3 / 4 days a week.
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby Anonymous » Friday 15 January 2010, 01:31

Darren wrote:Duncan,

Seems no one wants to say it so i will :D

The financial outlay you will have,and the desire to work part time as a top up of your pension income will not work out.

It may be to your advantage to look at the Private Hire/Taxi business work 3 / 4 days a week.

Thanks for the reality check Darren.
However, I was working on the basis of £1500 insurances, £1500 tax, MoT, maintenance, tyres etc. (but I already pay £300 insurance and £850 tax etc. so the actual increase is £1850). Then a further £500 in other sundry items. So if it all goes pear shaped after the first year I might lose £3500.
Even taking a few weeks holidays off (if possible) this averages out at around £80 a week before fuel and my wages, so if I worked 3 days a week - I would need to be making £27 a day - again before covering fuel and wages and re-investments.
I appreciate things might be slow to start with but I would hope to build the business up to a point where 200 loaded miles in 3 days or 400 miles total round trip in 3 days is not unrealistic. I have not included return loads in my calculations so any backloads would be a welcome bonus.
If the busineness did indeed build up to that level then I would consider investing some of my savings in a van. If I couldn't build the business up then I could bail out without having lost too much, but at least I'll have tried.
However I appreciate that you guys are the experts and have been doing this for many years - so are my aspirations and ball-park calculations realistic? (my actual spreadsheet figures are in much greater detail). I am at least in the fortunate position of having alternative income to live off during the quiet periods. So I do have the luxury of being able to take my time to build the business up properly before bailing out.
All feedback welcome - however brutal Darren :lol:
Anonymous

Postby RLT » Friday 15 January 2010, 06:47

realistically I think you will struggle to find work unless you have a van.

You might have to look towards Home delivery companies, but from what I have heard, the pay is not good and your calculations might be somewhat off track.
Even with a van, you would be entering a saturated and competitive market that is suffering the clout of the current recession.

good luck in whatever you do, but Darren s advice is sound.
RLT

Postby steve jones » Friday 15 January 2010, 11:27

I don't need a crystal ball for this one.Without a van from the start you stand no chance,there's to many guys out there with empty vans at the moment some experianced some not all looking for courier work.
It's just like any game,to give yourself any chance of winning you need the same tools as the others.
Your a couple of years to late where using a car for courier work you would get away with,we now live in very diffrent times.
steve jones

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Return to The interchange