Missed back load

General chat, news, views, jokes, moans, questions and anything else that doesn't fit on the other forums.

Missed back load

Postby dino » Friday 20 November 2009, 16:17

:cry: Gutted :cry:
As some of you may know i do the odd job for royal mail same day not had anything of them for around 5 week's but they do have a text database if you can be bothered to let them know were you are ( i used to text upto 5 or 6 times a day and when you never hear any thing back you tend to only text in every now and then when you have time to do so.)
Anyway i had a run to Ilford today (227 mile job for me ) nice steady Friday job so i thought i would get up 5.30 and set of down to avoid the traffic. Thought I'd give Royal Mail a text (as most of the time that's when they seem to phone me) anyway tipped my job and set of back up at around 10.30 only to get a call of royal mail at 12.45 offering me a Reading to Manchester at 90ppm :cry: by this time I'm 170 miles away from a back load paying over £200. That would have sorted my quiet week right out just don't seem to be having alot of luck at the moment but life goes on eh.

[faqtag missed backload]
!!!!!!KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE!!!!!!
dino

Postby bradley jones » Friday 20 November 2009, 22:03

Wouldnt worry Ilford to Readings not a very nice trip especially on a friday
bradley jones

Postby Bill Jamieson » Friday 20 November 2009, 22:38

Sounds like you were as gutted as I was on Thursday night. Took a small run late afternoon to Ossett, just pulls on to the M60 and gets stuck in traffic, phone rings offering me a run to London with a gauranteed return load the next morning. gutted! :cry:
A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work.
Bill Jamieson

Postby dino » Friday 20 November 2009, 23:09

We get day's like that Bill the way i look at it is make sure your load pay's well so back load's are a bonus.
Last edited by dino on Friday 20 November 2009, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
dino

Postby dino » Friday 20 November 2009, 23:11

bradley jones wrote:Wouldnt worry Ilford to Readings not a very nice trip especially on a friday

Yeh but it was only dinner time and i dont mind being sat in trafic for a job worth £200 plus clear profit they don't come so often.
dino

Postby Rwill » Saturday 21 November 2009, 00:08

Just run the numbers by me as I may have been missing a way to make £200 clear profit.

Reading to Manchester 185miles at 90p is £166.50.

Ikford to Reading is a Bradley says a not very nice Friday 60 miles plus which would be all in addition to your empty mileage home.

Say you were sat in Ilford at 12.45 when the call came in so at least 14.30 hours at Reading to load and then a Friday Afternoon miserable panic to see if you can get to Manc before they closed with the phone ringing every ten minutes for an ETA.
Rwill

Postby dino » Saturday 21 November 2009, 00:57

Rwill wrote:Just run the numbers by me as I may have been missing a way to make £200 clear profit.

Reading to Manchester 185miles at 90p is £166.50.

Ikford to Reading is a Bradley says a not very nice Friday 60 miles plus which would be all in addition to your empty mileage home.

Say you were sat in Ilford at 12.45 when the call came in so at least 14.30 hours at Reading to load and then a Friday Afternoon miserable panic to see if you can get to Manc before they closed with the phone ringing every ten minutes for an ETA.

The reason it would be £200 plus is royal mail would have paid for the miles from Ilford to reading if you ask for it, I've done job's for them in the past with 50 plus miles empty and if you are the nearest driver available they will pay your empty miles also if you give them an EtA it's very rare they bother you on the run and if I'm runing late i alwas let the customer know whether it is royal mail or one of my own customers. so i don't realy know what you are getting at when i said it was a £200 plus job that is what it was if it had been a job for £166.50 thats what i would have said.
dino

Postby MK BIKER » Saturday 21 November 2009, 03:26

dinoakaliam wrote:The reason it would be £200 plus is royal mail would have paid for the miles from Ilford to reading if you ask for it, I've done job's for them in the past with 50 plus miles empty and if you are the nearest driver available they will pay your empty miles

Not questioning the truth behind it just how on earth RM make anything worth while outta it??
MK BIKER

Postby Rwill » Saturday 21 November 2009, 10:18

MK BIKER wrote:
dinoakaliam wrote:The reason it would be £200 plus is royal mail would have paid for the miles from Ilford to reading if you ask for it, I've done job's for them in the past with 50 plus miles empty and if you are the nearest driver available they will pay your empty miles

Not questioning the truth behind it just how on earth RM make anything worth while outta it??

Thats easy - you used to be able to get an instant quote on the RMSS website for a journey (seems to have broke now for a while). THe customer price was always almost twice the sub rate which is why the supposedly poor rates on offer are always up for negociation if they are desperate. BTW Dino I wasnt having a pop just curious.
Rwill

Postby Bill Jamieson » Saturday 21 November 2009, 10:22

You're spot on RWill, I checked a few weeks ago whilst doing my 'research', RMSD are charging just under £1.25 for a small van, their going rate for subbies is 0.65 for the first 25 miles, 0.60 for the next 25 and then 55 there after, so they are making enough on mostof the runs to take a little bit of a loss on the odd occassions.
Bill Jamieson

Postby MK BIKER » Saturday 21 November 2009, 10:30

Bill Jamieson wrote:You're spot on RWill, I checked a few weeks ago whilst doing my 'research', RMSD are charging just under £1.25 for a small van.

ok the next question is how do they find these numptys?
MK BIKER

Postby bradley jones » Saturday 21 November 2009, 13:34

MK BIKER wrote:
Bill Jamieson wrote:You're spot on RWill, I checked a few weeks ago whilst doing my 'research', RMSD are charging just under £1.25 for a small van.

i know someone who got shafted by mt van & he does bits for them in a small van.
bradley jones

Postby dino » Saturday 21 November 2009, 14:33

MK BIKER wrote:

I find them good to work for and with the text database i get the odd back load (not so often but if i get 1 a month it,s a bonus) the job i did Friday was my own customer so paid well anyway but if i could have picked a back load up at 90pplm (over £200) it is worth it to me .Last month i got no work from them at all, the month before just over £500 but most of it was back loads so it's all unexpected.Now I'm not being funny MK but how does it make me a numpty when i use them to my gain ?
dino

Postby MK BIKER » Saturday 21 November 2009, 15:39

dinoakaliam wrote:
MK BIKER wrote:

.Now I'm not being funny MK but how does it make me a numpty when i use them to my gain ?

The numptys are the ones PAYING £1.25 a mile for a small van
MK BIKER

Postby Mike George » Saturday 21 November 2009, 17:22

MK BIKER wrote:
dinoakaliam wrote:
MK BIKER wrote:[quote="Bill Jamieson"]You're spot on RWill, I checked a few weeks ago whilst doing my 'research', RMSD are charging just under £1.25 for a small van.

.Now I'm not being funny MK but how does it make me a numpty when i use them to my gain ?

The numptys are the ones PAYING £1.25 a mile for a small van[/quote]
Surely the numptys are the couriers charging customers less than £1.25?

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!
Mike George
I used to be somebody

Postby Bill Jamieson » Saturday 21 November 2009, 18:46

As i said in my previous post i did get all the details from RMSD before my start day as an owner/driver, I have, since then, sent all my details to them to sign me up, I am one of those numpties. :D
Bear in mind that a new starter in this game work isn't throwing itself at you every day of the week so I find the prospect of work from a company that I know is safe in as much that I will be gauranteed payments with no hassles, it's a big enough company to be throwing some sort of work at me at some regularity and in any sort of area around the country, like dino said, they are good for the odd backload too.
As much as I know it is ethically wrong and probably damaging to the trade I can't help but feel that as my wheels are still turning i'm still putting bread in the mouths of my family and until i've built up my own customer base and or good connections then i'm afraid I will continue be one of those numpties.
Oh, i'm also a TNT sameday numpty too :lol:
Whilst not going to be a millionaire on what they pay they will serve a purpose.
Bill Jamieson

Postby MK BIKER » Saturday 21 November 2009, 18:52

Mike George wrote:Surely the numptys are the couriers charging customers less than £1.25?

Mmmmmm I'd love to charge £1.25 per mile, but I would be pricing myself outta a market so instead you have to hope for double ups to earn a good standard of living.

(before I get shot down for that last remark I mean a GOOD :twisted: living not just a living)
MK BIKER

Postby bradley jones » Saturday 21 November 2009, 19:12

i think mk is calling the customers the numptys mate not the people doing the work :?
bradley jones

Postby Darren » Saturday 21 November 2009, 19:15

bradley jones wrote:i think mk is calling the customers the numptys mate not the people doing the work :?

No he's not :twisted:

:wave:
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby steve jones » Saturday 21 November 2009, 19:30

Thats the shamefull part of sameday these days,every office i used to work for was pricing job's up at £1.25 plm for a small van,then the industry became over populated and of course the internet came,now we can all price each other down.job done.
With diesel price the way it is should'nt it be £2.00 plm for a small van.
steve jones

Postby Mike George » Saturday 21 November 2009, 19:42

Darren wrote:
bradley jones wrote:i think mk is calling the customers the numptys mate not the people doing the work :?

No he's not :twisted:

:wave:

Oh yes he is :D

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!
Mike George
I used to be somebody

Postby Bill Jamieson » Saturday 21 November 2009, 19:51

I took no offence at what MK said whether it it's the subby or the customer, truth of the matter is we are at different stages and some have to do what they have to do to make a wage until they are established.
I'm sure there a lot more on here that use RMSD or TNT to their own ends, in fact if it hadn't been for a couple of folks pming me and giving me the heads on up on them it would've taken me a lot more time to contact them.
They are an easy and safe source of income even coming up with return loads at the same rates so a half decent wage can be made in a day.
Sorry, just realised we have meandered off topic somewhat, humble apologies to folks.
Bill Jamieson

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Next

Return to Random Banter