Multi drop

General discussion, news, views, jokes, moans, business questions that don't fit on the other forums.

Multi drop

Postby dino » Wednesday 28 October 2009, 18:07

Well after the quietest 3 weeks i have ever had on the same day loads i have decided to start on a multidrop job, i start tomorrow prob about 4 years since i did any so i,m looking forward to a long few days till i get back into it,hard work but at least it's work every day i'll probly regret it and i'll guarantee my phone won't stop ringing for same day stuff as soon as i start but i'm gonna give it a go anyway so wish me luck i'll let you all know how i get on tomorrow night (thats if i get them all done tomorrow :lol:)

[faqtag multidrop]
!!!!!!KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE!!!!!!
dino

Postby Mike George » Wednesday 28 October 2009, 18:16

Good luck with it, and if you get back too late to post just throw a note over the fence :lol:

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!
Mike George
I used to be somebody

Postby slim » Wednesday 28 October 2009, 18:29

Good Luck Dino, three weeks and you'll be on top of it, nail the regulars and if you've got collections, work the day out back to front, just in case your running late you will be in the same area. At the very least they'll be bit of cash around for Xmas.
slim

Postby dino » Wednesday 28 October 2009, 18:41

Thanks guy's that's the main reason i'm doing it MONEY we are all a slave to it, at least my kid's will still have a good christmas and i think the hard work wont be as bad as the stress of waiting for the phone to ring wondering when my next payday will be.
dino

Postby Rwill » Wednesday 28 October 2009, 20:11

Almost two years to the day when the desperation made me go in the same direction. First days load was mostly fireworks - dont worry about ADR or insurance sonny cos we dont. I thought I was fixed up till Christmas - I actually lasted three days before we mutually agreed that perhaps I was not the multi drop driver of the year after all. And as it happens the phone did start ringing shortly after and I was off and happy at sameday once more. Good Luck.
Rwill

Postby dino » Thursday 29 October 2009, 14:04

Rwill wrote:Almost two years to the day when the desperation made me go in the same direction. First days load was mostly fireworks - dont worry about ADR or insurance sonny cos we dont. I thought I was fixed up till Christmas - I actually lasted three days before we mutually agreed that perhaps I was not the multi drop driver of the year after all. And as it happens the phone did start ringing shortly after and I was off and happy at sameday once more. Good Luck.

Well you lasted 3 days longer than me, i went in waited 50 minutes for the guy to turn up who was supposed to meet me, recived a phone call of him saying to jump in with one of his drivers to learn the ropes (for no pay) :yikes: yeh ok i told him i love to work for nothing mate :shock: :shock: so that's my multi drop job overwith,been back out this morning pounding the highways trying to find new customers.
dino

Postby dave creek » Thursday 29 October 2009, 15:36

I agreed to some overflow work for interlink recently, basically the stuff other drivers didnt/wouldnt take.
got £1 per drop and 85p per mile. day 1 took 4 hours, day 2 took 3 hours,
sending an invoice for £77.00 for all that work!
FOR THAT REASON I WILL HAVE TO DECLARE MYSELF OUT!

Luckily i've got enough work for now, just watch it dry up now :(
dave creek

Postby dino » Thursday 29 October 2009, 22:07

well as i said my work has picked up got a job this afternoon and one for the morning i'd have had to turn them down if i'd have stayed on the mutidrop, also got one or two good leads today knockin on doors with my cards in my hand and giving a sob story of loosing all my customers due to the recession. most said they only use sameday courier's every now and then but they all add up .
dino

Postby dave creek » Friday 30 October 2009, 09:10

same everywhere I think, but also depends who you are up against, I ram home the fact about reliability and designated vehicle etc etc and that I operate as a fully insured courier not a white van man.
Currently doing about £500 - £800 per week, dunno how this rates to others? could always do with more but im happy.
dave creek

Postby Darren » Friday 30 October 2009, 18:27

dinoakaliam wrote:
Rwill wrote:Almost two years to the day when the desperation made me go in the same direction. First days load was mostly fireworks - dont worry about ADR or insurance sonny cos we dont. I thought I was fixed up till Christmas - I actually lasted three days before we mutually agreed that perhaps I was not the multi drop driver of the year after all. And as it happens the phone did start ringing shortly after and I was off and happy at sameday once more. Good Luck.

Well you lasted 3 days longer than me, i went in waited 50 minutes for the guy to turn up who was supposed to meet me, recived a phone call of him saying to jump in with one of his drivers to learn the ropes (for no pay) :yikes: yeh ok i told him i love to work for nothing mate :shock: :shock: so that's my multi drop job overwith,been back out this morning pounding the highways trying to find new customers.

Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate.
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby dino » Friday 30 October 2009, 19:10

Darren wrote:
dinoakaliam wrote:

Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate.

For once Darren i agree with you, if he had told me on the phone that he wanted me to go out to learn the ropes then i would have prob. agreed but when he couldn't be botherd to turn up as promised and it took 4 phone call's off me before he rung me back then alarm bell started ringing i'm to old and wise :lol: to have the urine took mate.
dino

Postby jue » Friday 30 October 2009, 22:49

what company was it dino ?
jue

Postby dino » Friday 30 October 2009, 23:27

jue wrote:what company was it dino ?

Dont think Mike allows us to name and shame on hear due to leagal reasons , what i will say is the pay wasn't great and although it was for a very large company i wasn't working direct for them it was via another smaller company if you know what i mean.It just didn't seem right,but that wasn't the larger companys fault, In the short time i was there looking round there own drivers looked to know what they were doing and all there vans were clean and newish, i just think the company i was going to work for had promised more than they could give,just an example and i'm not being a van snob but one lad i was talking to was loading up an old smiley full of rust something a builder would have been ashamed of,( If he does a good job fair play to him)but i'd be surprised if he was paying £1500 per year insurance when the van was worth around £50, i bet that wasn't in the contract when they first agreed it.
dino

Postby slim » Saturday 31 October 2009, 01:26

This is common and has been going on for years. An OD works for company for awhile and gets in with the depot manager and takes on a second route.
Then a third etc etc. If he fulfils his obligations the depot managers happy as Larry because he's transferring the grief.

Often it works well for all, but the pitfalls are obvious. Especially getting paid if the OD's cashflow is weaker than the carrier's. More often than not he would be working also, or absent, so you end up without support.

Obviously he's taking a cut, and we all know where that should be going.

I think you did the right thing in this instance, but would add that (depending on the guys attitude) I might have checked it out for one day gratis especially if it was on the route offered because the knowledge gained ( presuming driver knew route) would save a lot of YOUR time over the next few weeks and would therefore pay you back easily.

I spent my career swopping from sameday to multidrop on and off as work came up. The consistency of earnings from multidrop worked for me and i was generally fitter during those times and managed to see my kids more often.

Each to his own. But don't bin the option on this experience.
slim

Postby steve jones » Saturday 31 October 2009, 04:15

I'd say your better off sticking with sameday,atleast with sameday your doing very little work for very little pay,as with nextday your be working very hard for very little pay.

Nextday companies hav'nt designed there Business to make OD's money,the truth is all the major nextday companies will soon have OD's only working for them.
I know of a nextday company that are playing there OD's against each other to get a cheaper deal from who ever crack's.
So yes another mess.
steve jones

Postby A KIRK » Saturday 31 October 2009, 09:07

I can't wait to try multi dropping, it seems really appealing, great pay and easy.

hm when hell freezes over, or if I become desperate
The car in front is my crumple zone
Andrew Kirk AK Couriers http://www.ak-couriers.co.uk
A KIRK

Postby steve jones » Saturday 31 October 2009, 16:13

I was going to say give this Mob a go,but then i read what bad luck this young man has had. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8334216.stm
steve jones

Multi drop...

Postby MarkGascoigne » Thursday 12 November 2009, 13:13

Hello Folks!

Another Newbie Here...

Been reading the forum/posts for about 12 months now, so thought it was time to register.

Currently doing some Casual Driving Work for a Company that supplies Backline and Splitter Buses for Musicians/Bands, but unfortunately the work is very infrequent like alot of things.

Anyway, have an interview for a Multi Drop Driver tomorrow, can't say i'm looking forward to it after reading the posts!! :o

The Job didn't say how many drops it was a day, but the working hours were 0630 - 1730 (Mon-Sat) :shock:

Look forward to speaking to you and gaining some valuable knowledge from some Experienced Couriers!

Thanks

Marky
MarkGascoigne

Re: Multi drop...

Postby steve jones » Thursday 12 November 2009, 13:48

MarkGascoigne wrote:

The Job didn't say how many drops it was a day, but the working hours were 0630 - 1730 (Mon-Sat) :shock:

Hi.
Mon-sat thats rough.
depending what company your with about 80 plus drops per day,don't forget Christmas is coming so make sure there not just using you for that.
steve jones

Postby MarkGascoigne » Thursday 12 November 2009, 13:55

steve jones wrote:
MarkGascoigne wrote:

Hi.
Mon-sat thats rough.
depending what company your with about 80 plus drops per day,don't forget Christmas is coming so make sure there not just using you for that.

Cheers for that Steve.

The interview is being held at a ParcelForce Depot, but the Job Ad was from an Independent Courier Company.

Never done Multi Drop before and can't say I find it very appealing...

I will go there with an open mind however and see what its about.
MarkGascoigne

Postby steve jones » Thursday 12 November 2009, 14:10

MarkGascoigne wrote:

The interview is being held at a ParcelForce Depot, but the Job Ad was from an Independent Courier Company.

Yer you need to be carefull if it's an independent there contracted by parcelforce to cover the work or face a penalty,your be much cheaper than agencie driver.
I'd say he's getting you in for the christmas rush.
He's taking the pee with 6 days though,its hard work on next day.
But it's your choice.
steve jones

Postby jue » Thursday 12 November 2009, 22:22

just go to parcelforce directly. you will get a half decent wage of them. the courier will want to pay you peanuts. trust me on that one !
jue

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Next

Return to The interchange