G.I.T CERTIFICATE

General chat, news, views, jokes, moans, questions and anything else that doesn't fit on the other forums.

G.I.T CERTIFICATE

Postby ANDY COURIER » Friday 31 July 2009, 22:34

JuST a quick question. I dont have an actual 'certificate' for this my insurance company have sent me a schedule and statement of fact? Will companies accept copies of this as proof as my insurance? Im presuming would be ok as shows everything on there.

[faqtag git g.i.t. insurance]
ANDY COURIER

Postby Darren » Friday 31 July 2009, 22:53

I don't think i have ever had a Certicate of Git .

Mind you its one of those insurances that really bugs me as to be honest it ain't worth a toss .............
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby bramble43 » Friday 31 July 2009, 23:26

Darren wrote:I don't think i have ever had a Certicate of Git .

Mind you its one of those insurances that really bugs me as to be honest it ain't worth a toss .............

Hurrah !!

G.I.T. - he who must not be named, i tried to get some views on another forum and no response at all regarding this.

Some couriers insist on you having git to sub for them but then go on to tell you it's worthless anyway. Why is that and why go on paying it when you know you don't have a hope in hell of making a claim on it?

Here goes - i've not renewed mine, so, yes i am lowest of the low i have no git :shock:

So tell me why i should spash out on a worthless insurance policy that costs me the equivilent of 2 sets of tyres on the bike.

Is it so i can be insured for the tender on printed paper worth 50p or maybe the cd worth 20p, maybe in extreme cases like the memory stick worth 20 quid that needs to be covered?

I have never lost or damaged anything of a customers, take great care, don't leave things in vehicles etc and been doing this a long time, so sod it.
Unless someone can convince me otherwise the insurance co will have to find someone else to pay for their christmas party.
Motorcycle courier, same day / direct / timed, Nationwide and across Europe - Contact details on profile. Call or text for a quote.
bramble43
Site owner

Postby Mike George » Saturday 1 August 2009, 07:09

Most companies don't give you a certificate for GIT, but as long as you've got a document with your details on it, plus the dates of cover and what's covered you should be OK.

Some people try to get away with cover notes or quotes :roll:

bramble43 wrote:G.I.T. - he who must not be named, i tried to get some views on another forum and no response at all regarding this.

That's not true because I responded on there as well :lol:

I think you're probably right about the usefulness of GIT for the average courier, but it's turned into just one way to separate the cowboys from the genuine couriers. That's not to say you are a cowboy because you didn't renew your GIT but if somebody had never heard of you before how would they know?

Some people get around it by buying the cheapest GIT available - usually £10k cover for up to 1 tonne at £10 per kg, still pretty useless but less than £100

I've never found anybody who's claimed on GIT. If people were claiming the insurers would bring in a no claims discount for renewals, and none of them do.

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!
Mike George
I used to be somebody

Postby bramble43 » Saturday 1 August 2009, 07:31

i do believe you were the only one though, everyone else seemed to totally ignore it, pick up on something else i said on ran with that
Motorcycle courier, same day / direct / timed, Nationwide and across Europe - Contact details on profile. Call or text for a quote.
bramble43
Site owner

Postby Rwill » Saturday 1 August 2009, 08:15

I too have raised this topic on a number of occasions on a number of forums and no one ever puts their head above the parapet to respond.

There is no legal requirement to have GIT but there is for public liability and if applicable employers liability. The three are often bundled together by brokers.

GIT is only as good as the terms and conditions of trading that the courier issues to his customer and most couriers buy in their GIT and are clueless on T&C.

A good and fairly standard set of terms means that you can wriggle out of most claims or limit the liability to next to nothing. Nobody ever knows of anyone who has claimed on their GIT.

No insurance ever covers your own stupidity or negligence which is how most GIT situations would arise.

In twelve years of trading no customer has ever asked to see any proof of GIT. In general I do not work for other couriers - even the great I ams of this business have a nasty tendency of going skint on us - so thats a risk I will not underwrite.

I have paid my broker over time more than I could have ever claimed.

So eighteen months ago I just didn't renew the GIT bit and now sit and giggle everytime the topic comes up and the old boys sternly tell the newbies how important it is to be properly insured.

If the big one does occur (involving ditches fires or the like) I will treat my relatively small exposure like an excess.

Everone will now go eerily quiet.
Rwill

Postby Mike George » Saturday 1 August 2009, 08:41

Rwill wrote:There is no legal requirement to have GIT but there is for public liability

When did that happen?

I would like to hear from anybody who has claimed on their GIT, and what the outcome was - anybody like to tell us a story?

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!
Mike George
I used to be somebody

Postby Stuart Moverley » Saturday 1 August 2009, 09:15

Rwill wrote:
A good and fairly standard set of terms means that you can wriggle out of most claims or limit the liability to next to nothing. Nobody ever knows of anyone who has claimed on their GIT.

I'm inclined to agree on the above but if the customer doesn't sign to say they've read and agreed the T&Cs, I don't think that it would stand up in court.

In the event that a courier attempted to wriggle out of accepting liability on the strength of their T&Cs and there is no actual evidence that such terms have been accepted, then the courier may well end up carrying the can anyway.
Manadon Despatch
'05 Citroen Berlingo
tel: 01752 769713 / mob: 07794 806257
Stuart Moverley

Postby A KIRK » Saturday 1 August 2009, 09:25

Do your clients not sign a POD to say you have accepted the goods fromt hem ,and that they agree to your terms and conditions?

Signed on collection byt he client, and then obvisouly signed on delivery
The car in front is my crumple zone
Andrew Kirk AK Couriers http://www.ak-couriers.co.uk
A KIRK

Postby Rwill » Saturday 1 August 2009, 09:42

Mike George wrote:
Rwill wrote:There is no legal requirement to have GIT but there is for public liability

When did that happen?

I guess you are refering to public liability and you are correct it is not a legal requirement either whereas employers liability is (if you employ someone else).

However I always think of the big one; When I go into the ditch and write off myself, my van, a couple a pallets of printed paper, a bus q of people on the way in and clip a power cable that cuts off a major city I should like to think my wife in insured for my life, the vehicle insurance will pay for the van and the damage to the ditch and the claims from those in the bus q. The printer can go hang for his bit of paper but the claim arising from cutting the power cable could be millions and my public liability is the place to go for that.

NB allways make sure that your terms exclude consequential loss claims so the loss of a ream of paper printed with a tender does not become a claim for millions in lost business.
Rwill

Postby Anonymous » Saturday 1 August 2009, 09:45

Public liability insurance as I have been informed is not a legal requirement, the British insurance brokers association (BIBA), state that companies should be forced to take it out.

I did not have GIT for three years until I was offered some work from a company, that asked me to produce a certificate, which I did after paying a premium of £145.00 for £10,000 of cover. I waited for the calls they were infrequent or I was to expensive, nobody else asked for proof of GIT
£145.00 needless expense.

I recently was offered work from a company, with nationwide branches when I produced my van insurance certificate they said it was not acceptable because business use as stated COURIER was not sufficient for them it needed to say for HIRE & REWARD, I asked for such a document from my insurance company, (who I had been with for 9 years /75% no claims, I was paying £399.00 for full comprehensive cover). They said they could not provide the level of cover required, I had to move companies at an additional cost of £300 per annum.
I waited for the calls they never came £300 needless expense.

My new insurance providers have just quoted for GIT/Public liability at £25,000 GIT/ 5 million public liability- premium £198.00.

I am thinking do I need it, £250.00 excess, I never leave goods unattended I have never lost/damaged/had anything stolen in all the time I have done the work, BUT, WHAT IF ? Thats our FEAR, instilled by insurance companies etc etc.

When I asked the insurance company what was covered under GIT, they said there is nothing written down/ nobody has ever asked to see the level of cover provided before. Unbelievable, I know but true.

At the end of the day its up to the individual, to decide, is it worth the paper its written on or not?
Anonymous

Postby RLT » Saturday 1 August 2009, 09:55

At the end of the day its up to the individual, to decide, is it worth the paper its written on or not?

Cant argue with that, but the Customer calls the shots, and if they want proof of GIT / H&R or whatever, it's no use moaning if you cant get the work because you don't have it!

these new posts seem familiar? :shock:
RLT

Postby Stuart Moverley » Saturday 1 August 2009, 10:02

A KIRK wrote:Do your clients not sign a POD to say you have accepted the goods from them ,and that they agree to your terms and conditions?

Personally Andy, I think that it's very risky to automatically assume acceptance of T&Cs under those circumstances. I'm sure that any solicitor worth a pinch would easily chew that argument up and spit it back in about five seconds flat.

I should have thought that the only real evidence for acceptance of T&Cs is a client signature on a sheet of paper carring the said T&Cs. Otherwise, anyone could turn around in court and say ... Sorry yer 'onour, I ain't never seen those before in my life'.
Manadon Despatch
'05 Citroen Berlingo
tel: 01752 769713 / mob: 07794 806257
Stuart Moverley

Postby Darren » Saturday 1 August 2009, 11:00

Well i have 1 GIT policy for 2 vans as there is no reg no on it. Both vans are very rarely working at the same time so i see no need for 2 policy's.

I would say 90% of the stuff we carry is insured by the Customer anyway due to its value.

I do have a couple of alterior motives for having the policy.

1) Is the Public Liabilty (which i increase ) and the Employers Liabilty side.

2) The policy then allows me to insure my Trailer on a price per £1000 of value against theft etc (good cover actually).

If i was to get a policy for PL & EL and then insure my trailer seperately,without any GIT it would cost more than what i pay for the lot :?

which probably goes to show that the git side of thing ain't woth a toss and they never expect to get any claims .Or at least pay any claims ...........
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby Darren » Saturday 1 August 2009, 11:08

Another thing :D

I think that if your subbing for somone then they should take the GIT liability anyway as your in there employment at the time :!:
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby Anonymous » Saturday 1 August 2009, 11:10

are there any owner drivers who can give genuine and truthful accounts of claims / episodes concerning:

goods in transit insurance?

public liability insurance?

Terms and conditions conflicts/disputes?
Anonymous

Postby steve jones » Saturday 1 August 2009, 11:40

I bought GIT one year aswell,that too was under a companies instructions,i think it's a power thing of i will make you pay £200 for a worthless piece of paper.Never did get work from them either.
If anybody ask's for it now,i will just copy what the old paper work say change the date etc etc and print it out and send.
steve jones

Postby Addams UK » Sunday 2 August 2009, 16:34

i have GiT of £50,000, i have to have it in place for my customers, as doing multi-drop work, my van is often unattended whilst i make deliveries, so it makes sense to have it in place, more for the 'just in case' scenario than anything else, if i was just doing A-B sameday work again, i wouldn't bother with GiT, as the stuff on my van is never out of my sight, and i dont stop willy-nilly and leave the van unattended, if possible, i'll do A-B in one hit, and not stop unless absolutely necessary.
Dave Addams, 07968 764681
CPC National and International.
LWB Sprinter Full courier ins, GiT £20,000, P/L - £2M.
Addams UK

Postby Darren » Sunday 2 August 2009, 17:40

Addams UK wrote:i have GiT of £50,000, i have to have it in place for my customers, as doing multi-drop work, my van is often unattended whilst i make deliveries, so it makes sense to have it in place, more for the 'just in case' scenario than anything else, if i was just doing A-B sameday work again, i wouldn't bother with GiT, as the stuff on my van is never out of my sight, and i dont stop willy-nilly and leave the van unattended, if possible, i'll do A-B in one hit, and not stop unless absolutely necessary.

Dave,

Does your's cover when the vehicle is unattended ?

Because most dont :yikes:
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby Chippie The Courier » Monday 3 August 2009, 08:58

Darren wrote:Another thing :D

I think that if your subbing for somone then they should take the GIT liability anyway as your in there employment at the time :!:

Most of the independent local courier companies cover GIT and do not require it when working for them. At least in my experience, though better to ask at the outset.
Chippie The Courier

Postby dino » Monday 3 August 2009, 17:20

Darren wrote:
Addams UK wrote:i have GiT of £50,000, i have to have it in place for my customers, as doing multi-drop work, my van is often unattended whilst i make deliveries, so it makes sense to have it in place, more for the 'just in case' scenario than anything else, if i was just doing A-B sameday work again, i wouldn't bother with GiT, as the stuff on my van is never out of my sight, and i dont stop willy-nilly and leave the van unattended, if possible, i'll do A-B in one hit, and not stop unless absolutely necessary.

Dave,

Does your's cover when the vehicle is unattended ?

Because most dont :yikes:

I'd like to know the price of someone who has got cover when it is unattended
!!!!!!KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE!!!!!!
dino

Postby Craig Urquhart » Monday 3 August 2009, 19:41

git has always confused me , i deliver and install some expensive IT equipment worth £1000s so tell me if the equipment is damaged in transit am i not covered for the value of the finished item and only liable for the cost of the components eg plastic casing
Craig Urquhart

Next

Return to Random Banter