Can I make £700 a week?

General discussion, news, views, jokes, moans, business questions that don't fit on the other forums.

Can I make £700 a week?

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 19 February 2009, 22:46

I lost a good paying office job in Sept and need to bring in 6-700 a week just to make ends meet. Is this achievable working 8-6 mon-fri?

Thanks for all your help. :D
Anonymous

Postby ch-logistics » Friday 20 February 2009, 08:24

fatfingers73 wrote:I lost a good paying office job in Sept and need to bring in 6-700 a week just to make ends meet. Is this achievable working 8-6 mon-fri?

presumably you are joking?
Ch-logistics
‘Bringing Shopping Home’
tel: 07788 63 43 73
ch-logistics

Postby MK BIKER » Friday 20 February 2009, 09:37

I'll have to agree, even on the bikes in London 7am-6pm £700-£800 is Gross on a good week when it was busy, most bikers weekly chqs in London at the mo are around £2-300 (trust me, I have it on good authority).
MK BIKER

Postby Anonymous » Friday 20 February 2009, 09:56

At present ? Try in two months if your lucky !!!!!
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Friday 20 February 2009, 10:31

£30 p/w. :shock:
Anonymous

Re: Can I make £700 a week?

Postby Anonymous » Friday 20 February 2009, 10:49

fatfingers73 wrote:I lost a good paying office job in Sept and need to bring in 6-700 a week just to make ends meet. Is this achievable working 8-6 mon-fri? :D

Yes, of course it is achievable ..... as long as your not a courier!
Anonymous

Postby Elite Carriers » Friday 20 February 2009, 10:55

You'll need to be hitting at least 1k per week to pocket that amount. You'll also need to not limit your hours (unfortunately the jobs don't roll in at 8am and return you home just in time for tea), so you can kiss goodbye to any evening classes you may have, watching your kids play football on Sunday afternoon and lazy Saturday morning lie-ins.

You need to be prepared for 3 months (minimum) of little to no work whilst you break yourself into the industry and make the contacts you'll need to stay afloat. Also late December to February and the Summer months can be very quiet. Everyones suffering during the recession so March to June isn't looking great this year either.

If you're prepared to put in the graft then those figures can be met, BUT not consistently. I've been doing this for three years and have hit 2k (before expenses) per week only a handful of times, 1k after expenses maybe twenty or so times. BUT if you mix that in with the quieter weeks when your turnover is only a couple hundred quid the averages soon start tumbling down. £600 per week is not an achieveable figure for a new starter, sorry to be blunt but i'd suggest you look at another line of work.
"You see things; and you say 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?'"
Elite Carriers

Postby stressedred » Friday 20 February 2009, 12:59

rob a bank mate its easier and you may get away with it, i think in 3 months i have had 1 week were i earned £800 quid this week 80 quid so far. sorry for putting a dampner on it, but its better to be honest unlike the book sellers who claim you can eaRN MEGABUCKS
05 vauxhall Combo 1.3cdti 15k GIT 1 Mill Public liability available 24/7
stressedred

Postby bramble43 » Friday 20 February 2009, 13:02

You can, get a van, find a dark car park, red interior bulb, sorted.

You'll be very sore but you might just have the chance to make the cash you need, just about the only way you'll make £700 in a week with a van
Motorcycle courier, same day/direct throughout the UK & Euro - Contact details on profile. Please don't call asking for advice on becoming a courier. This is what the forum is for.
bramble43
Site owner

Postby Lone_Wolf » Friday 20 February 2009, 13:04

its the same for me....£222 3weeks ago, £64 the week after and £64 this week, its slower then a snail out there right now, and when i first started this i was out all day everyday and sometimes late nights as well and only just managed to get £995 in one month (back in 07) shows how much things have changed and slowed down.
Chelmsely Wood, Birmingham, Owner Driver, Renault Extra 575KG, 50kGIT, 2mil PL, 07914907858
Lone_Wolf

Postby Anonymous » Friday 20 February 2009, 13:10

Ok, thanks for your honesty. I was clearing £400 back in 89-90, I just assumed things had moved on slightly!!!

I suppose it depends what company you work for.
Anonymous

Postby tjhservices » Friday 20 February 2009, 13:27

moved on then hit a brick wall and thats it!!
tjhservices

Postby RCD UK » Friday 20 February 2009, 13:29

Perhaps a timely thread this, and harsh reality check?

Plenty of unknown variables, but to be left with £700/week on average you'll need to be aiming at turning over more than double that per week on if transport work alone. Doable, but very tough effort from a standing start.

Emphasis on the "average" here. Understand that for each week your figures are down £500 you will need a correspondingly good week.

Whilst you're pondering that one, also consider how much you will need in the bank to enable you to extend the credit you're giving. There are companies going out of business at a frightening rate at the moment, and there's a reasonable probability that some will disappear before you get paid. It's the new black.

(Side note: in the last three months I've lost seven times the amount of money I had lost in the previous sixteen years' trading due to firms going out of business...)

I rarely quote on work put out on the freight exchanges as there's an increasing number of companies using such websites as a way of quoting for literally hundreds of jobs. I suggest they're mostly jobs which don't actually exist - they're just price enquiries from other mutual sources. It's obvious, as you will see the same "job" bring offered by several firms within half an hour. A lot of the remaining genuine jobs are dealt with by way of Dutch auction, which I don't get involved with. If I do a job it will be done correctly and it will cost x.

I'm really not trying to put anyone off, this is just how it is. Transport has never been tougher during the time I've been involved than it is right now. It is still possible to make a good fist of it though - just know in your own mind that you've done your sums correctly before making a decision.
Simon Howes (DGSA) RCD UK (Leics.) +44 (0)797 363 5377 http://www.rcduk.com LEICESTER GB
Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor / External consulting - ADR Hazardous including Class 7 Radioactives
Exhibition & I.T. Installations, all supported to Gold Standard.
RCD UK

Postby Anonymous » Friday 20 February 2009, 14:34

Your not bramble43's postman are you? :D
Anonymous

Postby A KIRK » Friday 20 February 2009, 17:06

Do-able in peak times, but those peak times are becoming fewer and fewer now. It also depends what size vehicle your usng, butits not easy out there at the moment.

I'd love nothing more than to jack it all in, but I'm kind of stuck with it for now
The car in front is my crumple zone
Andrew Kirk AK Couriers http://www.ak-couriers.co.uk
A KIRK

Postby stressedred » Friday 20 February 2009, 17:31

£5 on the lottery tomorrow fingers crossed, jack it in job done
05 vauxhall Combo 1.3cdti 15k GIT 1 Mill Public liability available 24/7
stressedred

Postby steve tate » Saturday 21 February 2009, 10:39

youll be lucky to clear £700 a month at the moment.i started last year and its harder then you think,some good advice for any newbie would be,dont forget you have to put money aside for the taxman,van repairs and a new van for the future.you have to remember all the money you earn is not yours! if you have debts dont even look at this line of work because it will just increase them,fuel is the killer! big paying jobs are few and far between.and also you may be payed late or not at all!!
54 plate peugot partner 50k git 2mil pl available 24/7 07946403739
steve tate

Postby Anonymous » Saturday 21 February 2009, 11:00

After posting my earlyer reply i got the best job I've had in 3 weeks ! £220 earner after ex's £140. Feel like I won the lottery.
Anonymous

Postby MK BIKER » Saturday 21 February 2009, 15:35

Bantan_1954 wrote:After posting my earlyer reply i got the best job I've had in 3 weeks ! £220 earner after ex's £140. Feel like I won the lottery.

Have you been paid yet? :roll:
MK BIKER

Postby Anonymous » Sunday 22 February 2009, 15:25

Yes there and then !! I'm in the money the banks better lookout one mega rich courier looking to invest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 26 February 2009, 16:00

Now i didn't start this line of business to make a mint, just to help out with the mortgage and new van as I have been a full time DJ for the last two years but this year general functions are well down and weddings are average so my hands been forced somewhat (especially with all these DJ's crawling out the woodwork all of a sudden! lmao).

I've wanted to come in and charge an average of my competition so not to drag rates down and the like, however some of the rates that i have heard the competition charge are suicidal! I had no ideal that courier work was this seasonal and that work was so thin. I can't even sub work from the big guys as they require you to have a van no older then 5 years old, mines an 02 plate, seems this industry is just as much of a no win industry like DJing!

Like I said, luckily I'm doing it to try an shore things up but if it's really that bad I may need a rethink, my website has loads of incoming traffic and is high in the rankings yet no calls or emails, the only business I have so far is a couple of jobs from my friends and Dj colleagues.

Perhaps my rates are too high??

:? :?
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 26 February 2009, 16:09

[quote="Wayno"]

Perhaps my rates are too high??

Probably not ----its as dead as the dodo here !!!!
Anonymous

Next

Return to The interchange