Shall i or shall i not

General chat, news, views, jokes, moans, questions and anything else that doesn't fit on the other forums.

Shall i or shall i not

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 24 September 2008, 21:33

Hi everyone been thinking about becoming a courier for a while now on a part time basis, but in 2 minds whether or not to do it.

Need to replace my car soon and know someone selling a fiat doblo van which seems a good price(are they any good?)

What do you think, welcome your comments.
Anonymous

Postby graham1 » Wednesday 24 September 2008, 22:33

Hi,

Not something you can do part time i'm afraid :cry: the insurances alone would not make it worth while.......Not much else to say really apart from no go :wink

I run 2 vans on a full time basis and often wake up wondering if it's all worth it and just can't see how you could make any profit running part time.

[faqtag starting up part time]
graham1

doblo

Postby dino » Wednesday 24 September 2008, 22:41

I say go for it you should get insurance with goods in transit for less than £150 per month and buy the way i ran a doblo for 12 month's traded it in for a bigger van and regreted it ever since great little van i am looking for another myself very cheap to run never let me down sold it with 110,000 miles on the clock and it still looked and drove like new just make sure it has servise history.
!!!!!!KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE!!!!!!
dino

Re: doblo

Postby graham1 » Thursday 25 September 2008, 07:15

dinoakaliam wrote:I say go for it you should get insurance with goods in transit for less than £150 per month and buy the way i ran a doblo for 12 month's traded it in for a bigger van and regreted it ever since great little van i am looking for another myself very cheap to run never let me down sold it with 110,000 miles on the clock and it still looked and drove like new just make sure it has servise history.

And you run a part time courier business as well do you? :roll:
graham1

Postby Rwill » Thursday 25 September 2008, 08:11

A lot of couriers operate on a part time basis - even though thats not perhaps what they intended. Part time courier rest of the time waiting for work.

In the circumstances you describe the insurance cost "put off" is not as bad as it seems.

You wish to replace your car, you are gonna replace your car anyway. If having two seats rather than four doesnt matter to you then a reliable van is the same price as you were gonna spend on a reliable car.

Courier insurance is more expensive than car insurance but for "normal age, good history candidates" its not horrendous and its only the incremental cost over car insurance that you need to consider.

Have a go, the waters not very warm at the moment but set it up properly and dont be tempted to dodge and cut corners on the way.

I think its far more sensible to try part time than some of the clowns who give up a decent full time job to be a courier thinking the streets are paved with gold.
Rwill

Postby graham1 » Thursday 25 September 2008, 08:47

Not forgetting the tax man!!
Your gonna replace your car with a van....you gonna use your van for personal use?
tax man will have a field day.
And dont think they wont because they wil catch you out.Also your courier insurance needs to include personal use.
The cost keeps on rising.
I take it you have a business plan that will give you your projected Earnings based on part time hours.....if so you should already know the answer to your question!!
graham1

Postby Dizzy » Thursday 25 September 2008, 08:55

graham1 wrote:Not forgetting the tax man!!
Your gonna replace your car with a van....you gonna use your van for personal use?
tax man will have a field day.
And dont think they wont because they wil catch you out.Also your courier insurance needs to include personal use.
The cost keeps on rising.
I take it you have a business plan that will give you your projected Earnings based on part time hours.....if so you should already know the answer to your question!!

Cor blimey Graham, calm down a bit. Poor bloke only asked for some friendly advice! :lol:

Hi there Nathan.

Before you start you might want to get some quotes for courier insurance and Goods in Transit insurance. Then work out if it is going to pay for you. Remember that out of the money you earn doing jobs has to come your fuel, tax, upkeep of the van etc. If you have another job then you really do need to be careful as far as your earnings and tax etc are worked out. It can become very complicated.

No decent courier company or any company offering work should take you on without the correct insurances in place.

If you know someone in the business, find out from them how they worked out if they could afford it. And above all, remember, you will probably spend more time waiting for work that actually doing any.

If after all this you decide that yup, you can afford it... then welcome to our world and all the very best of luck to you.

:wave:
Vehicle Tracking
Small van available 24/7 £10,000 GIT.
Call Tracey on 07951880578
Dizzy

Postby graham1 » Thursday 25 September 2008, 09:08

:oops: Sorry :oops:

Not meant to have a go at Nathen,just winds me up,some people need a reality check...
We have seen a lot of good full time couriers go under in the last year!
To do it part time and make a good profit your gonna need a lot of luck on your side.
graham1

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 25 September 2008, 10:57

Ok got the reality check :)

Being very careful about jumping into this due to the fact that it will be part time as i have another job.

Just had first insurance quotes
£744 unlimited drops and miles(with personal use)

£205 GIT (£15p/kg) and 1mil PL

£949 total which doesnt seem that bad to me.
Anonymous

Postby Dizzy » Thursday 25 September 2008, 11:13

nathan wrote:Ok got the reality check :)

Being very careful about jumping into this due to the fact that it will be part time as i have another job.

Just had first insurance quotes
£744 unlimited drops and miles(with personal use)

£205 GIT (£15p/kg) and 1mil PL

£949 total which doesnt seem that bad to me.

That isn't bad. Do you mind me asking how old you are? As this makes a huge difference to the cost.
Just make sure that it will state on the insurance that you are covered for "the carriage of goods for hire and reward". If it doesn't, it is worthless. And for goodness sake, never go with churchill as you will DEFINITELY not be covered. :D
Vehicle Tracking
Dizzy

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 25 September 2008, 11:19

i'm 32 stuck in the body of a 21 year old.

I think the insurance company were called brit didnt hear the guy on the phone very well.
Anonymous

Postby Dizzy » Thursday 25 September 2008, 11:21

graham1 wrote::oops: Sorry :oops:

Not meant to have a go at Nathen,just winds me up,some people need a reality check...
We have seen a lot of good full time couriers go under in the last year!
To do it part time and make a good profit your gonna need a lot of luck on your side.

:hug: I know, I have seen so many go too. :(

But, we all started somewhere. :D
Vehicle Tracking
Dizzy

Postby Tongo » Thursday 25 September 2008, 11:25

I seem to be a bit part time at the minute but not through choice :cry:
ImageAG Express Logistics
Tongo

Postby Dizzy » Thursday 25 September 2008, 11:48

nathan wrote:i'm 32 stuck in the body of a 21 year old.

I think the insurance company were called brit didnt hear the guy on the phone very well.

lol... same as most of us then. I swear I got stuck at 18!!
Vehicle Tracking
Dizzy

Re: doblo

Postby dino » Thursday 25 September 2008, 11:49

graham1 wrote:
dinoakaliam wrote:I say go for it you should get insurance with goods in transit for less than £150 per month and buy the way i ran a doblo for 12 month's traded it in for a bigger van and regreted it ever since great little van i am looking for another myself very cheap to run never let me down sold it with 110,000 miles on the clock and it still looked and drove like new just make sure it has servise history.

And you run a part time courier business as well do you? :roll:

yes i do it all depends what you want out of it
!!!!!!KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE!!!!!!
dino

Postby A KIRK » Thursday 25 September 2008, 13:39

Let me put it this way, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

I do not take part time couriers seriously, and don't waste time keeping their details. Harsh Iknow, but I run a full time courier company, and as such need full time subcontractors, I will support my full time subcontractor, as much as I can, as there in it to make a living and want the work.

Don't get me wrong you may well have all good intentions, but the likes of myself wouldn't consider someone who is only part time

Remember if somethig is worth doing, then it needs doing properly, with 100% committment
The car in front is my crumple zone
Andrew Kirk AK Couriers http://www.ak-couriers.co.uk
A KIRK

Postby Hitman84 » Thursday 25 September 2008, 13:55

Spot on A kirk, exactly what i was thinking, need 100% commitment

unless you do have contacts already that can fill say 2-3days fully, only then you may just about cover your costs and make a tiny tiny profit, but hey each to their own
Hitman84

Postby Dizzy » Thursday 25 September 2008, 14:47

A KIRK wrote:Let me put it this way, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks like this.

I do not take part time couriers seriously, and don't waste time keeping their details. Harsh Iknow, but I run a full time courier company, and as such need full time subcontractors, I will support my full time subcontractor, as much as I can, as there in it to make a living and want the work.

Don't get me wrong you may well have all good intentions, but the likes of myself wouldn't consider someone who is only part time

Remember if somethig is worth doing, then it needs doing properly, with 100% committment

I think you have a point, BUT... there is room for all in the industry. That part timer you dismissed without a thought may be the one driver free on a friday afternoon when you have a screamer. :D
Vehicle Tracking
Dizzy

Postby A KIRK » Thursday 25 September 2008, 15:19

I don't do screamers lol, 90% of my work is pre booked, however if I was that desperate, I'd be ringing around people I trust on the freight exchanges

Its bad enough I'm part time(when I feel like it) let alone using other people who are part time
A KIRK

Postby Dizzy » Thursday 25 September 2008, 16:09

A KIRK wrote:I don't do screamers lol, 90% of my work is pre booked, however if I was that desperate, I'd be ringing around people I trust on the freight exchanges

Its bad enough I'm part time(when I feel like it) let alone using other people who are part time

:lol: See, most of our work is screamers... apart from the occasional pre-booked one, where people have got themselves organized!!

Wish I could be part time. I sometimes feel I am married to this desk!
Vehicle Tracking
Dizzy

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 25 September 2008, 16:13

thanks for the advice people still none the wiser though.
Anonymous

Postby A KIRK » Thursday 25 September 2008, 16:40

you never will be, I don't think any of us are much wiser after doing it for years
A KIRK

Next

Return to Random Banter