Starting out!!

General discussion, news, views, jokes, moans, business questions that don't fit on the other forums.

Starting out!!

Postby Anonymous » Tuesday 1 July 2008, 17:51

Hi i am thinking about becoming a courier on a Part-Time basis, I have read all the other posts regarding being part time.

I currently have a full time job working shifts which gives me plenty of free time on my hands. i.e only unavailable 7 days out of 21.

I currently have a car but would be willing to hire a van for jobs, Im 24 and still stay with my parents so don't have much outgoings.

I was just looking for a bit of advice how do I go about it, would it work etc..

Any advice would be great thanks!!!
Anonymous

Postby Mike George » Tuesday 1 July 2008, 18:11

If you have read all the other topics about it and you still think it's possible, there's probably not much more to be said - have you looked into the costs of proper courier insurance and van hire at your age?

[faqtag part timer]

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!
Mike George
I used to be somebody

Postby steve tate » Tuesday 1 July 2008, 18:45

hi gary i think if your gonna work in this industry you need to be commited im starting very soon and ive researched for more than three months . initial outlay is expensive ie van,van insurance,goods in transit and public liabilty insurance all cost me approx £6 grand and then you might not get paid for work you have done for at least 60 days so you need a wedge behind you to live on.i personally dont think you can do this work part time by that i mean what would happen if your customers rang you to give you a job and you say sorry im at my other job! where do you think they will go.. :roll: hope that isnt too harsh but people come into this to do business and hopefully stay in business
54 plate peugot partner 50k git 2mil pl available 24/7 07946403739
steve tate

Postby MK BIKER » Tuesday 1 July 2008, 19:12

Full time costs, insurance etc and only workin part time hours will be your prohibting factors.
Never seen anyone do it yet!
MK BIKER

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 2 July 2008, 11:50

Well said Mr Biker and Steve :clap:

For the amount it's gonna cost you to get all the proper insurances in place (and yes it's imperative you have 'em) you'd really need to do it full time to make it worthwhile mate. (It's not cheap either and I'm 26 so it'll be more for you I'd reckon) Also people want you available most times of the day for work and you won't get it if your phones off cos you're at your other job, they'll just go elsewhere. The only way knockin back work is viable is cos you're too busy but that'll only be the case if you were workin full time! Sorry to paint a bleak picture mate but I'd agree with Mr B and Steve on this one.
Anonymous

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Return to The interchange