setting up in a parcel car

General discussion, news, views, jokes, moans, business questions that don't fit on the other forums.

setting up in a parcel car

Postby Anonymous » Tuesday 15 January 2008, 22:56

Hi folks im looking into starting up as a freelance courier in the manchester area but ive been looking around on here and cant find much info on getting started with a car. I drive a 51 plate alfa 156 sportwagon and am sick of my present job so im looking for a change and this sounded like it might fit the bill but i need my car and have nowhere to keep a van as well. so do you think i might be wasting my time. Any help appreciated
Anonymous
 

Postby Anonymous » Tuesday 15 January 2008, 23:05

You can try. It has been asked before, some guys wont use you with a car some dont care. Most of the time cust doesnt see vehicle anyway. But you may find insurance can be a problem specially in a car like that.

If you do give it a go, I hope you have a good wadge of cash saved up

Ins- £1500
GIT & PL - $350-400

Cash to live on for at least 3 months £5k if you live cheap

and thats before running costs

What does your car do to the gallon ?
Will you be able to charge enough in your area to cover cost?

Think of this before you leap

Dont skimp on insurance, everyone will probably want to see insurance certs before giving you work. I know I would
Anonymous
 

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 16 January 2008, 10:42

not the ideal motor..........


mine does 50+ mpg on a run, on derv, what does yours do?


there are other car options, taxi is one, volunteer work is another (i seem to that a lot with my xlwb sprinter, looking at my "outstanding" section....)

[faqtag can i start off using a car?]
Anonymous
 

Postby MK BIKER » Wednesday 16 January 2008, 11:16

I not too sure about using a car for couriering, as national said there are other options I know someone that does Hospital Car service, his mileage allowance can be more than couriering and his missus is sometimes employed as an escort for under 16's and the vunerable patients, approach your local hospital transport manager if your intrested.
User avatar
MK BIKER
Moderator
 
Posts: 5252
Joined: Sunday 15 October 2006, 08:53
Location: Roundabout City!

Postby packet2pallet » Wednesday 16 January 2008, 12:45

Ive only come across two O/Ds using "cars" in the Greater Manchester area - one also ran a midi - van.Im not saying that there is no work for car O/Ds but you will be restricted in what you do especially as there is so much competiton in the area.

How about delivering for a company like Next or Home Delivery Network?
Last edited by packet2pallet on Wednesday 16 January 2008, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.
Former Owner Driver.

I could be tempted back with the right offer !!
User avatar
packet2pallet
Member
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Thursday 8 September 2005, 16:11
Location: Oop North in Farn`oth, Lancashire.

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 16 January 2008, 13:14

MK BIKER wrote:I not too sure about using a car for couriering, as national said there are other options I know someone that does Hospital Car service, his mileage allowance can be more than couriering and his missus is sometimes employed as an escort for under 16's and the vunerable patients, approach your local hospital transport manager if your intrested.



hospital car services (some are volunteer which means no tax man involved!) pay between 25 and 35p per every mile, and theres work 7 days a week 365 days a year, but its usually the local ambulance service who you need to contact. ask if the use private car drivers for PTS work (patient transport service aka outpatients)

you will be subject to a CRB check, and take it easy in that sportwagen, some of the patients have heart conditions....
Anonymous
 

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 17 January 2008, 13:15

Watch your costs - 35ppm - I expect that at this rate, on your vehicle it might not even cover them let alone make you any money.
Anonymous
 

Postby MK BIKER » Thursday 17 January 2008, 14:56

35 ppm ROUND TRIP!
£7 per hour 4 the missus as driver escort
If you get on well with the fat controller double ups, eqvilandt to £1.40 pm
And u only need business class 1 insurance
User avatar
MK BIKER
Moderator
 
Posts: 5252
Joined: Sunday 15 October 2006, 08:53
Location: Roundabout City!

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 17 January 2008, 19:32

MK BIKER wrote:35 ppm ROUND TRIP!
£7 per hour 4 the missus as driver escort
If you get on well with the fat controller double ups, eqvilandt to £1.40 pm
And u only need business class 1 insurance


for what?
Anonymous
 

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 17 January 2008, 19:38

webbritain wrote:Watch your costs - 35ppm - I expect that at this rate, on your vehicle it might not even cover them let alone make you any money.



thats exactly why the inland revenue arent interested, they say it costs 35p a mile just to own/keep a car (RAC figures)

so you do 2000 miles a week, £700 no tax, less fuel, run a £1000 car for a year, and change it.
Anonymous
 

Postby MK BIKER » Thursday 17 January 2008, 19:59

nationalcouriers wrote:
MK BIKER wrote:35 ppm ROUND TRIP!
£7 per hour 4 the missus as driver escort
If you get on well with the fat controller double ups, eqvilandt to £1.40 pm
And u only need business class 1 insurance


for what?

Hospital transport cars!
thats running outta London
User avatar
MK BIKER
Moderator
 
Posts: 5252
Joined: Sunday 15 October 2006, 08:53
Location: Roundabout City!

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 17 January 2008, 22:51

nationalcouriers wrote:
thats exactly why the inland revenue arent interested, they say it costs 35p a mile just to own/keep a car (RAC figures)

so you do 2000 miles a week, £700 no tax, less fuel, run a £1000 car for a year, and change it.


Will the NHS accept an old banger, you will not get much else for a grand these days and I doubt that you would get 2000 miles a week (104,000 per annum) for a year out of a vehicle costing £1000.
Anonymous
 

Postby MK BIKER » Thursday 17 January 2008, 23:47

The key to the hospital car game is reliablity, breaking down once is forgivable but two or three times in a short space and you possibly wont get any more work til you change your car.
The guy I know buys a new car every two to three years and does about 1500 miles a week, he has been very lucky with his cars and seems to do alright.
You have to train in CPR and as said before undergo a CRB check too.

I personally couldnt sit next to someone for two hours talking rubbish!
User avatar
MK BIKER
Moderator
 
Posts: 5252
Joined: Sunday 15 October 2006, 08:53
Location: Roundabout City!

Postby Anonymous » Friday 18 January 2008, 10:19

there are two levels of "hospital work"

volunteer - needs a clean car, no business insurance (but tell insurance company)

i dont know exact rates but 15 years ago it was 25p/mile, and did it for 5 years

if they decide to train you in 1st aid so be it.


contract - 1 service i know of does this, contracted hours, more stringent on cars, use their ambulance insurers.
Anonymous
 

Postby Leonard Kepert » Friday 24 September 2010, 16:57

Anonymous wrote:You can try. It has been asked before, some guys wont use you with a car some dont care. Most of the time cust doesnt see vehicle anyway. But you may find insurance can be a problem specially in a car like that.

If you do give it a go, I hope you have a good wadge of cash saved up

Ins- £1500
GIT & PL - $350-400

Cash to live on for at least 3 months £5k if you live cheap

and thats before running costs

What does your car do to the gallon ?
Will you be able to charge enough in your area to cover cost?

Think of this before you leap

Dont skimp on insurance, everyone will probably want to see insurance certs before giving you work. I know I would


Hello , i'm new here , i want to ask you , why i should have 5k pounds for 3 months of living ? i will earn money after 3 months ? or is possible to start earning money in a week or so? how the payments are usually given ? please help me as i'm a newbie in this area :) , and i'm also from Romania but planning to become an UK resident in few months . thanks in advance !
Leonard Kepert
Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Friday 24 September 2010, 16:38

Re: setting up in a parcel car

Postby ab4couriers » Wednesday 27 July 2011, 23:02

i`ve just stopped doing the nhs medicar.piad 45p per mile then 25p per mile after 10000 miles cant run the car on them rates,so 90% of volenteer drivers in yorkshire have finished. it used to be good at 45p and no limits on the milage but things have changed.
alan
ab4couriers
Member
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Tuesday 26 July 2011, 23:25

Re: setting up in a parcel car

Postby bramble43 » Wednesday 27 July 2011, 23:43

But those rates meant standard insurance and 45p = 90p in courier terms

How will you deal with getting 60p-75p in a car with insurance of £1500 a year to pay for?
Motorcycle courier, same day/direct throughout the UK & Euro - Contact details on profile. Please don't call asking for advice on becoming a courier. This is what the forum is for.
User avatar
bramble43
Site owner
 
Posts: 4688
Joined: Tuesday 7 October 2008, 23:26
Location: Salisbury

Re: setting up in a parcel car

Postby MK BIKER » Thursday 28 July 2011, 07:47

I believe you need business class insurance (about £100 on top of your regular insurance) well my dad did when he did this, but your right he was getting the eqivalent of 90p one way and thought he was hard done by :shock:
User avatar
MK BIKER
Moderator
 
Posts: 5252
Joined: Sunday 15 October 2006, 08:53
Location: Roundabout City!

Re: setting up in a parcel car

Postby CID » Monday 5 March 2012, 00:43

Hi everyone,

I would like to start on a P/T basic & use my car to start with !
I have a Renault Clio 1.2, would this be suitable to start with & 'what' would the
Insurance be & could anyone give me info ??
CID
Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Saturday 11 February 2012, 10:55

Re: setting up in a parcel car

Postby bramble43 » Monday 5 March 2012, 01:36

Delivering in your car will usually see insurance costs rise above the usual £1500 -£2000 it'll cost you for courier insurance for a van and less people would be willing to give you work when there are so many underworked couriers in modern tidy vans they could give the work to.

The most likely source of work would be hermes or yodel type 'lifestyle' courier outfits, allegedly called so as the rates of pay means any type of lifestyle you ever had would be long gone.

Expect 50p per parcel delivered. Spend the best part of a day delivering 70 for £35 less fuel, insurance, tyres etc
Motorcycle courier, same day/direct throughout the UK & Euro - Contact details on profile. Please don't call asking for advice on becoming a courier. This is what the forum is for.
User avatar
bramble43
Site owner
 
Posts: 4688
Joined: Tuesday 7 October 2008, 23:26
Location: Salisbury

setting up in a parcel car

Postby AlunL » Monday 5 March 2012, 07:45

CID, if you really want to be a courier, buy a van. Otherwise contact your local Dominos or Pizza Hut.
Alpact Couriers & Motorcycle Movers - Ring Alun on 07770 642913
info@wemovebikesandquads.co.uk
http://wemovebikesandquads.co.uk/
User avatar
AlunL
Resident Gestapo
 
Posts: 3776
Joined: Monday 23 August 2010, 15:23
Location: Newport, South Wales

Re: setting up in a parcel car

Postby Bob Johnson » Monday 5 March 2012, 10:12

Pizza Hut Express, non! They use employed drivers on peds I believe.

Heres to them for doing it right ::D:
Bob Johnson
Member
 
Posts: 1774
Joined: Sunday 5 July 2009, 14:27

Next

Return to The interchange

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests