New starter

General chat, news, views, jokes, moans, questions and anything else that doesn't fit on the other forums.

New starter

Postby Tonyp » Tuesday 16 October 2018, 13:51

Hello all.
For the last few months, I've been thinking about starting out as a courier owner/driver. I don't fancy multi-drop, preferring to tramp a little. I've read about CS, Amazon, RM, Hermes et al, and
have to admit to being a tad shocked!
During my research, I came across this forum, and have been reading a lot here over the last few days.
I have to admit to a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach...! There seems to be a huge amount of negativity around the industry. Scammers, non-payers, a lot of stuff about certain companies and the bullshine they spout to entice the OD, the way OD's are treated etc etc. :shock:
I'm in no way questioning the honesty or integrity of the posters, but it's really making me consider the sanity of starting out in this business! Is it really that bad? Is it so cut-throat and full of scoundrels?
Some years ago, I managed a small, same-day courier company, and whilst we had our own employed drivers, we also used subbies a lot. I always tried to be fair with them, spreading out the cream as fairly as I could, whilst also looking after the ones that helped dig me out of holes!
I have lost touch with this world over the years, and naively thought there would still be a decent living to be made nowadays. Am I wrong??
I have read all the advice for newbies and am well aware of the insurance requirements - H&R, GiT etc.
I am aware of how the industry SHOULD work, the pitfalls, the costs, being sensible and so on.
So I guess my question to all you gnarly old-hands is this;
Is it really so difficult to make a living? Are there good courier companies out there to investigate, to try to get in with to make a start?
I would appreciate some feedback, as I may need to seriously reconsider what I want to be when I grow up! Thanks.
Tonyp

Re: New starter

Postby EnsonExpress » Wednesday 17 October 2018, 07:12

There must be some sort of a living to be made, because there are a lot of people out there doing it!

BUT as a subbie, it's hard. You've obviously read that the big companies pay peanuts, whether multi-drop or sameday, so to earn from them, you've got to graft beyond my personal wishes - family or work, not both. Subbie for the big nationals needs several thousand miles a week and simple maths converts that to long hours and many days.

The ideal is to get your own customers. This forum has plenty of advice on that and the main one is to have a decent bank balance before you start out.

Go read Shed5 and join it if you're serious - not much work there, but a very reputable setup with potential for networking.
Dennis
Renault Kangoo with carpeted floor and folding bulkhead. 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.4m.
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).
EnsonExpress

Postby IRMA777 » Wednesday 17 October 2018, 11:30

"There seems to be a huge amount of negativity around the industry."

Yes there is, and quite rightly deserved..... i would not advise anybody to enter this industry now,
and that includes members of my own family who have sought advice from me.
Unless you have very deep pockets,and contacts lined up, walk away,the whole industry has been hacked to the bone, not just same-day, but the big multi-drop boys.
Enson has pretty much said it all,the industry is in a time-warp as regards rates/prices.....I was earning more as a subby 20 years ago, than i am now with my own customers :yikes: I could "earn" more by reducing my prices, and run around like a headless chicken for peanuts, but believe me there are plenty out there, doing that already.Every job seems to be a quote now,customers ringing around for the cheapest, AND then they come back to you, asking if you can price match...FFS.I would rather have my vans sat there doing nothing, than run round for stupid prices.
:wink: You have been in the game, you don't to be taught how to suck eggs, think long and hard and keep the research up....... MANY DON'T............... :idea:
IRMA777

Postby Tonyp » Wednesday 17 October 2018, 12:03

Thanks for the replies, appreciated.
I'll be thinking long and hard...
Tonyp

Postby EnsonExpress » Wednesday 17 October 2018, 14:52

When you pop over to lifestylecouriers, you’ll find it’s not all doom and gloom if you’re setting up a website to invite paid subscriptions!
Dennis
Renault Kangoo with carpeted floor and folding bulkhead. 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.4m.
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).
EnsonExpress

Postby IRMA777 » Wednesday 17 October 2018, 16:03

EnsonExpress wrote:When you pop over to lifestylecouriers, you’ll find it’s not all doom and gloom if you’re setting up a website to invite paid subscriptions!

:?: They don't have paid subscriptions................ As far as i am aware :!:
IRMA777

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Return to Random Banter