Best High Mileage motorcycle ??

For all you hairy biker types and those that wish you were.

Re: Best High Mileage motorcycle ??

Postby Steve Campbell » Monday 8 September 2014, 17:25

I'm currently running an r1100rt with 175k on it...usual odds and sods have been done but nothing horrendous, handles well, easy to ride all day (it has a Corbin seat :wink: ) easy to get bits for...previously ran BM Airheads but this is my first Oilhead...I do like the old airheads for their mechanical simplicity but the handling is not a patch on the oilheads

As for mileage...I've usually sold my old Airheads at around 180k but one I was very attached to I kept for 250k....we have one courier here who's airhead went over 400k, it was a bit like triggers broom...three new heads and two new handles but neverthless impressive

Just counted up...I've had 10 BMs, 3 honda fours and an MZ (and one cx650 cos it was cheap...sold it after 4 days, terrible PoS :shock: )
my motto is "if there's a better way, find it!"

http://www.southerndespatch.co.uk
Steve Campbell

Postby Steve Lee » Monday 8 September 2014, 21:26

Steve...
Its interesting to see you've had so much success with the BM's - I've had 2 and neither went past the 75k mark. Both had major issues which made it uneconomical to continue with :cry: But I did/do like them :cry: :cry:
Not going for another BM until ??????
The Guzzi, was a great bike and maybe I should have persevered :blahblah: - lots of little things that ended up being a pain in the _____. There was just too much maintenance. Ended up I just didn't trust it.
Now I have a HONDA.... :hug:
One of the new breed from them - 3months and 14K miles so far.
Oh and did I mention, it gives me 70 mpg :eyebrow:
Time will tell... :wink:
Steve Lee.... Concierge Couriers Ltd
http://www.conciergecouriers.co.uk - Tel : 01284 711863 - Mob: 07532 002981
THE Courier on a Motorcycle providing quick delivery solutions throughout the UK and to Europe.
Steve Lee

Postby Steve Campbell » Tuesday 9 September 2014, 06:19

I guess the key with BMs is knowing the key areas that require attention e.g. the airheads have a rep for doing in gearboxes...if you change the g/b oil as infrequently as BM say they will die prematurely...do it the the eng and G/b every 5k and they go on for years....ditto the rear drive.

Same on the airheads, mod the valve guides with an oiler hole and change the exhaust valves at 60k....never a problem....don't and a valve will fail, by 80k.

We've had a couple of Pans here but getting parts was always a very slow and expensive performance whereas we have a shed load of BM parts

I guess downtime has always been the biggest issue with Jappers and as for Guzzi, I love riding them but working on them is PITA

each to his own I guess....we have a guy at the mo with a Honda (not sure what sort) and he won't hear a word against it...we also had the prez of the local Triumph owners club work for us for a while, he ran a top of the range Triumph Tourer...he lasted 4 weeks on it before he bought a K100rt (for work only of course) ::D:

Steve Campbell

Postby bramble43 » Tuesday 9 September 2014, 15:33

I had one BMW, it was so bad, I promised I would never risk a beemer again.

It melted pistons, solenoid engaged the starter on the motorway, the abs was unreliable to the point it was in the dealer at least every 2 weeks, if it lasted that long.
Electrical breakdowns and it's eventual last mistake was self destruction of the gearbox in the early hours which was the last time it saw the road, at 36,000 miles.
Motorcycle courier, same day / direct / timed, Nationwide and across Europe - Contact details on profile. Call or text for a quote.
bramble43
Site owner

Postby Steve Campbell » Tuesday 9 September 2014, 16:56

bramble43 wrote:I had one BMW, it was so bad, I promised I would never risk a beemer again.

It melted pistons, solenoid engaged the starter on the motorway, the abs was unreliable to the point it was in the dealer at least every 2 weeks, if it lasted that long.
Electrical breakdowns and it's eventual last mistake was self destruction of the gearbox in the early hours which was the last time it saw the road, at 36,000 miles.

but other than that it was a good bike??? :wink: :wink: :wink:

I'm lucky that I have a guy here with as much experience of the the oil heads as I do of the airheads, between us we tackle most things...BTW what sort of life do you get from a pan?

Steve Campbell

Postby bramble43 » Thursday 11 September 2014, 00:22

I'm quite unforgiving, they do get a fairly hard life but they do ok, my current one is on 108,000 miles.
It won't be around for long, I crashed it at about the speed limit and it has no fairing and a bent frame so as soon as I get another one, it'll be stripped and sold as bits.

A partial one in the garden was used for bits at 120k as the alternator went on the way back from Portugal so i stripped it as I already had another one here and another has about 160k on it, still riding but it was hanging, MK biker was using it and he had a bit of a habit of having low speed offs.
Motorcycle courier, same day / direct / timed, Nationwide and across Europe - Contact details on profile. Call or text for a quote.
bramble43
Site owner

Postby GMC » Tuesday 9 December 2014, 11:52

each to there own, ive had 2 beemer "K's" the RT an RS, and both were a pile of rubbish, I had the RS a few days and someone did me a favour by stealing it, ok I dont like bike thieves but I could have spent the money on a better bike, and the RT was an electrical nightmare, that broke down on me in spain, after that I vowed never again, but i believe the boxer is a different breed of bike.. So now I have 2 ST's with trouble free mileage and a Tiger955i which is also a good condender as well..
"We are supporting the OUT! or Vote Leave! Campaign"
http://www.gas-motorcycle-couriers.co.uk
http://www.samedaymotorcyclecouriers.co.uk
http://www.motorcyclecouriersleeds.co.uk
Motorcycle & Small Van Available
GMC

Previous

Return to The bike shed