hanging up my city tracker

Gripes, moans, whines and complaints - get it off your chest!

Postby Brian Hague » Saturday 12 November 2011, 11:07

I know it may have been said before but this is aimed at other mewbies like me :!: i have done work for c**y s****t it did not take me long to notice more ££ going out than comming in. they offered me a job with 130 mile round trip with only 50 miles loaded at 45pplm, when i did not accept on the machine they called me to see why my responce was sorry but I cant afford to pay for your deliverys. The responce i got back was THATS WHAT THE BUSINESS IS well it may be there type of business but not mine,my point being I CAN SIT AT HOME AND NOT PAY THE BILLS. I dont need to add to them by paying theirs too.
Brian Hague

Re: hanging up my city tracker

Postby garryhallam » Saturday 12 November 2011, 12:19

As a Newbie myself, I can empathise with you. You soon learn that Courier work is not all that you thought it was. I have to admit that the loaded mile rate I get is higher than what they are paying you there. Depending on load it works out at 65p or 75p for me. The problem I am finding is that I am sat about most the day just waiting for the phone to ring at around 3 or 4 pm. Then the jobs are mostly runs into the city Centre, when the traffic is at its worst. They have 30 mins collection times that they constantly push you to achieve. The stress level is just too much for my liking. Then as a newbie you of course don't know most the places you are sent.

Its Saturday Morning now and the Office out of hours number has been ringing me constantly which I have just been ignoring.

They try to keep you sweet by throwing in a job from Manchester to London or Glasgow every now and again.

I do like driving and my thoughts are now turning to doing something else. Maybe a delivery driver for an Engineering company or something similar.

I guess it suits some but not everybody.

Good luck with whatever you try next.
garryhallam

Postby Brian Hague » Saturday 12 November 2011, 12:27

it's not so much the work but the big company's as they seem to think you owe them for giving you you a start. i'm not throwing in the towl just telling them where to get off.I am going to stick with it as there is a living to be made we just have to find it
Brian Hague

Postby IRMA777 » Saturday 12 November 2011, 12:51

:lemon: You said in one of your earlier posts "they look dodgey",and i also assume you read all the posts on this forum about them?? These companies are parasites who prey on newbies such as yourself.Whilst i do applaude you for getting out in time, :clap: it may just be worth letting other people know what they are letting themselves in for.Perhaps let them know what van,what wages and what hours they expect from you.I appreciate it may be difficult but will benifit others in the long run.Out of curiosity how many weeks did it take to realise this was a slippery slope??
I hope your experiance with this shower has not put you off completley.There is nothing wrong with subbing,just try to find a few local respectable ones to get work off,hopefully at better rates. :D and then maybe that will lead to getting your own customers :yes:
I do hope my post does not come across as condesending,its not meant to,i just want to get the message out that companies like this are just VULTURES,and as your infomation is current and up to date IT WILL BENEFIT OTHERS.All the best and hang on in there. :eyebrow:
IRMA777

Postby Brian Hague » Saturday 12 November 2011, 13:36

As they say "dont knock till you tried it" :blahblah: i am running a connect swb/lr they want you 24/7
and pay 45pplm you have to hire tracker-clothing and signs from them at a cost of around £25 per week they expect you to jump when they want you to and try to butter you up with thank yous and well done. I was with them in total 4 days over three weeks as my van was off the road for over a week due to a bump in london (the other driver may of done ma a favour :( :( )
Brian Hague

Postby slim » Saturday 12 November 2011, 13:41

What's quite sad about reading comments like these is that there are clearly enough drivers joining these companies on a daily basis to keep their business plan afloat.

It's in the human psyche to want to believe that most things are possible with some effort. On paper the offer of enough work, in the form of extra jobs and return work, is to the uninitiated eye a reason to accept low mileage rates. It wouldn't matter if the rate was 20p if you had ten jobs all going A to B.

But the reality is it doesn't happen consistently, and therefore doesn't work.

Possibly the 'top boy' makes it work, but he's been there years. It isn't unusual to be fed for a few weeks to make you keen, and then pushed back down the line for the next newb in. Smaller companies used to concern themselves about the number of drivers on fleet, the balance of drivers to work, and giving good customer response times, was always a concern. Nowadays nobody cares and drivers are taken on without considering their welfare at all.

There are some who make it work, they have to, maybe it's the only way they can earn something, possibly quite happy about being out and about, and taking advantage of all the tax credits etc. It would seem that the real winners are the big co's getting the workforce off the back of such situations.
By working faithfully eight hours a day you may eventually get to be the boss and work twelve hours a day.
slim

Postby Phil Newsham » Saturday 12 November 2011, 13:53

Well put IRMA. I too am a newbie, but, there is no way I would work for that shower. Just from the pittance they pay and a bit of research into them (thanks to this forum) it is obvious they are, as you rightfully said, Vultures.

Personally I never expected to start out as an OD and find it easy, it's anything but that. Long hours for sometimes little, or not enough reward, but I will persevere, then hopefully it will come good in the end.

I am glad you said you were not packing it in already Brian, good luck..... :)
PDN UK
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Renault Kangoo
Phil 07877006879
Phil Newsham

Postby IRMA777 » Saturday 12 November 2011, 13:55

:D As usual slim you are spot on.With the current economic climate these companys must be rubbing there hands together with glee.Sadly we will never reach everybody with the information as not everybody reads forums like this and courierworld.At the moment they will have a never ending supply of newbies to churn and burn.Unfortunatley what they lack on the operations side of the business,they more than make up for on the marketing side ( i know i attended a breifing :suspicious: )but they soon rumbled me when i started asking the sort of questions they don't like :eyebrow: :lemon:
IRMA777

Postby SadJack » Monday 14 November 2011, 13:31

IRMA777 wrote:Unfortunatley what they lack on the operations side of the business,they more than make up for on the marketing side

Yep, spend enough on marketing telling people how good you are and they believe you!

No matter how good you are if people don't know about you they can't use you. For small businesses thats the rub. Can't afford lots of advertising and the "big boys" hoover it all up.

Huummphh, think I'm getting very cynical in my old age :no:
I wish I could think of a good signature

tony.wilkins@defyit.co.uk - Mob: 07967 325183 - http://www.defyit.co.uk - http://www.twitter.com/DefyitLtd
SadJack

Postby Bob Johnson » Monday 14 November 2011, 14:47

SadJack wrote:
IRMA777 wrote:Unfortunatley what they lack on the operations side of the business,they more than make up for on the marketing side

Yep, spend enough on marketing telling people how good you are and they believe you!

No matter how good you are if people don't know about you they can't use you. For small businesses thats the rub. Can't afford lots of advertising and the "big boys" hoover it all up.

Huummphh, think I'm getting very cynical in my old age :no:

Just had a look at your site, if you don't mind me saying (hopefully will help you in the long run), your min charge and hourly rates are far to low.

You could end up doing a job like this
30 mins wait @ collection, 20 mile drive, 30 mins wait @ delivery, all for £15!

Plus surely a 19 mile trip should be well in excess of £15 anyway
Bob Johnson

Postby SadJack » Tuesday 15 November 2011, 16:59

Bob Johnson wrote:Just had a look at your site

Thanks for the feedback Bob. I guess pricing is the hardest part for someone just starting out and I have seen the debates on these forums. I have tried to price things out but your advice (and hopefully soon experience) will help me to tweek things.
I wish I could think of a good signature

tony.wilkins@defyit.co.uk - Mob: 07967 325183 - http://www.defyit.co.uk - http://www.twitter.com/DefyitLtd
SadJack

Postby capslock » Saturday 7 January 2012, 21:21

I WORK FOR CITY SPRINT AND AT BEST IT`S A PART TIME JOB,CERTAINLY LITTLE MORE THAN A PART TIME INCOME,BUT COUPLED WITH MY OTHER STUFF IT`S OK FOR NOW. IF YOU HAD TO RELY ON IT FOR ALL YOUR INCOME YOU`D GO BUST QUICKLY WITH A LWB. SOME DAYS ARE GOOD,SOME VERY GOOD AND BAD DAYS CAN BE GOOD IF COUPLED WITH OTHER WORK (NOT JUST TRANSPORT FOR ME). CAN`T THINK OF ONE DAY WHERE I`VE GOT UP BEFORE THE KIDS IN THE LAST 2 MONTHS :lol: BEATS HOD CARRYING :tumble:
capslock

Postby capslock » Saturday 7 January 2012, 21:37

WHERE`S THESE OTHER TOPIC`S ABOUT CITY SPRINT? I`M OBVIOUSLY NEW ON HERE BUT THEY`RE NOT ON THIS WINGEING SECTION FROM WHAT I`VE SEEN. I`LL LOOK AT THE OTHER SECTIONS BUT CAN ANYONE PINPOINT THEM. ALSO ANYONE IN THE OX/BUCKS AREA WANTING TO MAKE WORTHWHILE ACQUAINTANCE?
capslock

Postby Callum Mc Gillivray » Sunday 8 January 2012, 02:01

STOP SHOUTING!!!!! WE'RE NOT DEAF!!!!!
Ratz
OPEROR UNTO ALIUS PRO THEY OPEROR IS VOBIS http://codforum.org.uk/ 07737387857
Modified '98 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Callum Mc Gillivray

Postby AlunL » Sunday 8 January 2012, 10:39

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!
Alpact Couriers & Motorcycle Movers - Ring Alun on 07770 642913
info@wemovebikesandquads.co.uk
http://wemovebikesandquads.co.uk/
AlunL
Resident Gestapo

Postby Callum Mc Gillivray » Sunday 8 January 2012, 14:35

Alpact couriers wrote:SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!

:no: Old Git!!!! :icon_kiss: :wave: :yes: :hug:
OPEROR UNTO ALIUS PRO THEY OPEROR IS VOBIS http://codforum.org.uk/ 07737387857
Modified '98 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Callum Mc Gillivray

Postby AlunL » Sunday 8 January 2012, 20:05

WHAT... SPEAK UP RATTY!
Alpact Couriers & Motorcycle Movers - Ring Alun on 07770 642913
info@wemovebikesandquads.co.uk
http://wemovebikesandquads.co.uk/
AlunL
Resident Gestapo

Postby M&P » Sunday 8 January 2012, 20:39

Alpact couriers wrote:WHAT... SPEAK UP RATTY!

No need to shout, we ain't all deaf :no:
Whoever said 'nothing is impossible' obviously hadn't tried slamming a revolving door
M&P

Postby steve jones » Monday 9 January 2012, 10:16

Brian Hague wrote: sorry but I cant afford to pay for your deliverys.

:clap:
Well done for looking the devil in the eye Brian, its just a shame more drivers don't say the same.
steve jones

Postby steve662 » Sunday 15 January 2012, 03:10

guys
i knew 8 years ago were telling me they were getting £120 a day for similar work .
brand new vans theres .

doing the papers in the mornings 7 days a week as well .

no life guys defeats the purpose of setting up a company.

BUT youre locked into contracts that dont pay.

newbiees with no experience are cannon fodder to these companys.

shame you cant download experience.
Il go that extra mile for you ,But youll pay me for it
steve662

Postby Tom » Monday 30 January 2012, 09:37

The 45ppm they pay is that 1 way? Or return?

Because if it's 1 way that's peanuts!

I was working for a company in my old Astra van and it 29ppm but paid there and back so 58ppm + 25% for a return Load from the same place. And I thought that was a low price!
Tom

Postby stuart webber » Monday 19 March 2012, 01:08

capslock wrote:WHERE`S THESE OTHER TOPIC`S ABOUT CITY SPRINT? I`M OBVIOUSLY NEW ON HERE BUT THEY`RE NOT ON THIS WINGEING SECTION FROM WHAT I`VE SEEN. I`LL LOOK AT THE OTHER SECTIONS BUT CAN ANYONE PINPOINT THEM. ALSO ANYONE IN THE OX/BUCKS AREA WANTING TO MAKE WORTHWHILE ACQUAINTANCE?

Google them try some thing like SC complaints or just CS. SDhould keep you busy all night. Theres even a web site blogg dedicated to disliking them.

Just noticed in the last few weeks they have changed there colours. I asked an SC rider in SW1 how much his new colours cost him his reply "F/Off" wounder why that was ?
Some times your the windscreen

some times your the fly
stuart webber

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Next

Return to The escape lane