Good places to get food

Diaries, blogs, stories about courier life, reports and pics of interesting trips, and general helpful stuff about traveling

Good places to get food

Postby A KIRK » Wednesday 13 July 2005, 20:09

Ok I think its about time we had a list of places to get some good food at.

Ok to start, Nick the Nosh's just of M25 J 6 A22 Northbound heading towards Croydon,

Food is very very reasonably priced hot cold sanwiches steaks chicken etc, plent of fresh cakes to choose from as well.
The car in front is my crumple zone
Andrew Kirk AK Couriers http://www.ak-couriers.co.uk
A KIRK

Postby kezz » Wednesday 13 July 2005, 20:52

Best fish & Chips I have ever had are at

Scarborough between eastfielf and cayton off Cayton Low Road Up Holme Hill past the police station.

God I tell ya. I like my fish & chips but that was the best ever.

kezz
kezz

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 13 July 2005, 21:10

Andrew, is that the Mobile stop on the left hand side as you head towards the lights at Caterham, or the Cafe just past Wapses Lodge Roundabout opp. Ann Summers HQ ??
Anonymous

Postby A KIRK » Wednesday 13 July 2005, 21:43

yep thats the one, mobile unit.
Last edited by A KIRK on Wednesday 13 July 2005, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
A KIRK

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 13 July 2005, 21:45

Where do you start.
The Cafe behind the garage on the A1 just before the A47 is very good.
Roman Cafe just outside Grantham is decent.
For those who keep unsocial hours on the 25 there's Waltham (Junc 26) just pull off & there's a decent van & parking between the 2 exits.
There's the truck stop at Welford the 1st/ last junction on the A14 before the M1/6 the foods not brilliant but it's better than anything else in the area.
There's a very decent, or there was the last time I used it, cafe at Ranby, just off the A1.
Anonymous

Postby Mike George » Friday 15 July 2005, 07:29

I don't eat much when I'm working. I sometimes fancy a bacon sandwich in the morning and most snack vans can make a reasonable one.

I do like a nice cup of coffee and snack van coffee is always disgusting. I usually try to get a Coffee Primo in a takeaway cup from the ordinary food counter at MSAs (Welcome Break?).

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!
Mike George
I used to be somebody

Postby Mike George » Tuesday 19 July 2005, 08:36

If I've got the time to spare I sometimes treat myself to a chicken club sandwich and chips at the Marston Vale woodland centre just off the A421 a couple of miles from J13 of the M1.

Mike George
I used to be somebody

Postby Mike George » Monday 25 July 2005, 09:15

What about the supermarkets?

Morrisons and Asda can usually be relied on for reasonable coffee and a cheap snack, and they're easy to find if your in unfamiliar territory, especially later in the afternoon when all the snack vans are closed.

Mike George
I used to be somebody

Postby A KIRK » Monday 25 July 2005, 09:35

Supermarkets do some great snacks and if you get in there late afternoon or early evening then you can find a lot of the sandwiches are all reduced in price.

Most also sell small tubs of sushi, which is a very healthy and tasty snack
A KIRK

Postby Stuart Farrington » Sunday 31 July 2005, 00:08

J40 of the M6, come off the motorway and head east towards Penrith and you will come to the Red Rooster Cafe which is attached to a filling station.

I've not been there for about 14 months but they used to do a cracking breakfast, and there's normally a bit of tasty totty to be watched filling up their car whilst you eat (sorry ladies)!
Stuart Farrington

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 1 February 2006, 23:44

I try to go to the salt box at hatton On a50 stoke to nottingham.

Hi Dave

May respectfully suggest you lose it, I have had to after 4 heart attacks just to stay alive.

I lost the weight in the end out of fear but the damage was already done.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Sunday 5 February 2006, 17:16

REDBECK Crofton Nr Wakefield
Think its been there since the middle ages
Cheap fantastic food, 24hrs, clean overnight rooms, and if your there in the wee small hours, theres usualy a fight or two for entertainment. quickly quashed by the serving women, who I for one would not mess with :shock:
Anonymous

up the 316

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 8 March 2006, 21:29

Anyone who uses the M3 tried the little cafe in the layby when it changes to the 316,the one heading into london ,checkout the size of the breakfast sarnie,very generous and a lovely old couple too
Anonymous

Good places to get food

Postby Anonymous » Sunday 12 March 2006, 23:17

I've recently obtained some good food from the Marks and Spencer
Simply Food shops which are sited on Motorway Services on the M6. They
sell a good range of fresh food at the same price as their high-street
supermarkets and they don't seem to add 50% on to their prices in the
way that the fast food chains do whenever they open up a cafe on the Motorway network.

Last Wednesday I bought a sea-food sandwich, bar of chocolate and a
pint of milk for a total of £2.60. This was the same price I could have
been ripped off for a large Cappuchino coffee in a paper cup a few yards
away in the coffee bar.

I've always considered Marks and Spencers food to be good but pricey
however on the Motorways it seems good value compared to the
over-priced food chains that surround it. Have a browse around next time
you're at a Services and you might be pleasantly surprised aswell.

Jim
Anonymous

Postby DJ » Sunday 2 April 2006, 13:46

If you like greasy spoon cafes check out this blog. More on there than you could get round to trying out in a lifetime.

http://russelldavies.typepad.com/eggbaconchipsandbeans/
DJ

Big Boy's Cafe

Postby Anonymous » Saturday 8 April 2006, 22:10

Big Boy's Cafe is on the A453 coming off the A42 where it joins the M1 Northbound - follow the signs for Donnington Park Services then sail straight past them on the Nottingham turnoff. Or if you're on the M1, come off at 23A and go back on at 24.

Take the first layby; good long one so generally always a parking place. You can sit down and eat if you have time or, if like me you don't stop long enough to relax, phone Pat on 07960 390749 as you go past the Ashby turning on the A42, and they'll have your sandwich ready for you on arrival, and your drink will be made up while you pay.

I never drive past, and the sandwich has usually cooled enough to eat as you drive past Trowell.

Reasonably priced too!
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Sunday 2 July 2006, 23:01

What ever she packs the night before :lol:
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Monday 3 July 2006, 20:53

Put it this way its better than nothing when you have no spare cash in the first month of start up :wink:

I must say this time of year i dont mind a bit of fruit as im driving, aint got time to stop :shock:
Anonymous

Postby pathfinder » Monday 17 July 2006, 10:33

I've just bought a 12v 35 ltr electric cool box from Halfords - it's BIG - just fits in passenger footwell of my tranny and easily plugs into the cig lighter.

I use the mains addaptor at home to pre-cool it and load it with butties, fruit, drinks, chocy bars, etc and everything is always fresh and cool :D . So I can eat anytime anywhere -(it has a hatch in the lid so you can get at a 2ltr bottle of your favorite fluid without having to open the lid) - great in this weather especially when I'm stuck in traffic. :x

It will also keep things warm (upto 60c it claims) but i've not tried this yet.

If I want a "Proper Meal" I always use supermarkets - usually Morrisons - it is easy to park, you know there is a toilet, I can top up my cool box, and the fuel is usually the cheapest in the area.
pathfinder

I FEEL LIKE A KEBAB

Postby Anonymous » Monday 31 July 2006, 20:43

best kebab shop in north west london.-NORTH POLE RD. W10. Go underneath bridge, park up on left opposite pub as you come in from scrubbs lane. Go for the chicken schwarma in a wrap. its massive. the polish girls put loads of meat in. i do have trouble finishing it i must admit. £3.50 IS silly GOOD VALUE.
Anonymous

I FEEL LIKE CHICKEN N CHIPS

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 3 August 2006, 23:50

MMMMMM CHICKEN WORLD ON CRICKLEWOOD BROADWAY NW2 OPPOSITE RICHBOROUGH RD. GET THE MINT SAUCE WITH IT MMMMMMM

OHH YES ANOTHER KEBAB SHOP FEW SHOPS DOWN OPPOSITE THE CROWN HOTEL. IT CALLED KEBAP 49
Anonymous

!

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 23 August 2006, 14:16

on the welshpool road (a458?) towards welshpool off the shrewsbury bypass in a layby near Ford is dinkies diner, apart from the steak sandwich it very good....
Anonymous

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Next

Return to The highway