Cheap Hotels / B&B's in the UK

Diaries, blogs, stories about courier life, reports and pics of interesting trips, and general helpful stuff about traveling

Cheap Hotels / B&B's in the UK

Postby Elite Carriers » Saturday 27 September 2008, 13:57

I don't know how often you guys/gals have to do an overnighter, and whether or not you'd choose to sleep in a b&b or the back of your van. I'm 6 foot and operate a small van so it's a no brainer for me really!

Two things i hope to achieve with this thread -

1. Find good websites for last minute deals
2. Name some of the cheapest good quality hotels / b&b's in the UK

Until recently i'd always used laterooms.com, but the prices seem to be rising :? A quick web search revealed a few sites that look pretty decent - bedandbreakfasts.co.uk and bedandbreakfasts-uk.co.uk

Once i've found a good b&b i tend to keep going back. I've got one for most areas i frequent. Two of the best are Glenan Lodge just off the A9 south of Inverness and Pant Isa Farm just off the A55 in North Wales. At both of these for £25 you can get off road parking, en suite rooms, cooked breakfast, and most importantly an excellent nights sleep!! There's a third near Cramlington, Newcastle but the name fails me at the moment.
"You see things; and you say 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?'"
Elite Carriers

Postby Darren » Saturday 27 September 2008, 17:30

B&B's i don't do they are to personel as your in someones House,and i used to find myself making the Bed cleaning the shower and sink etc etc ect :roll:

The Cheap Hotel's are not Cheap Now :evil: The deals they Advertise like room for £25 need booking 7 weeks in abvance Normally :roll:

I stick to the bigger chains anyway Normally £60 a Night for the Room.

Glasgow i use the Holiday In Express Strathclyde country park

Leeds Premier Travel In Wakefield

York Travel Lodge near Tadcaster

Manchester Travel Lodge nr the Trafford Centre or the Premier travel Inn

Newcastle Holiday Inn Express Nr washington Services

Liverpool Premier Travel inn Blackpool

Birmingham Premier Travel In Balsall Common

Exeter Holiday inn Express Near the Weather Centre
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby sc_BK » Monday 29 September 2008, 16:30

A sleeping bag and a set of silverscreens/curtains, and you're sorted! :lol:
sc_BK

Postby Elite Carriers » Tuesday 30 September 2008, 08:59

Darren wrote:I stick to the bigger chains anyway Normally £60 a Night for the Room.

£60 seems a little excessive when you can get a good room for less than half that. :shock: Horses for courses though.

sc_BK wrote:A sleeping bag and a set of silverscreens/curtains, and you're sorted! :lol:

Trust me, i've tried the sleeping bag thing, i even bought an ex army one, warmth was never the problem - it was waking up at 3am with a cricked neck and not being able to do a whole lot about it.

The Cramlington one i was thinking of was actually The Warkworth House Hotel (some distance away!), The room that cost me £30 has now risen to £85!!! At least i got a bargain :D
"You see things; and you say 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?'"
Elite Carriers

Postby Allan1010 » Thursday 2 October 2008, 22:28

Elite Carriers wrote:Trust me, i've tried the sleeping bag thing, i even bought an ex army one, warmth was never the problem - it was waking up at 3am with a cricked neck and not being able to do a whole lot about it.

If you're serious about sleeping in the van, get yourself to an HGV breakers and buy a sleeper bunk. many of them come with hinges and they'll fold flat against a vehicle side (you'll lose 6 inches or so in depth) or I've even seen a few that went up to the roof when not in use!
I think they'll be too long to go across the van.

Hint: Volvos have real pocket sprung mattresses, some others may have too by now as I've had 3 Volvos in a row, but the older Mercs, Dafs and MANs had foam mattresses that weren't a patch on the Volvo one.
Allan1010

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 2 October 2008, 22:32

I've used an inflatable mattress in my van. I slept like a baby just outside Paris 8)
Anonymous

Postby Elite Carriers » Friday 3 October 2008, 10:10

Allan1010 wrote:If you're serious about sleeping in the van, get yourself to an HGV breakers and buy a sleeper bunk. many of them come with hinges and they'll fold flat against a vehicle side (you'll lose 6 inches or so in depth) or I've even seen a few that went up to the roof when not in use!
I think they'll be too long to go across the van.

You read the bit about me owning a small van right :?

For me sleeping in the van is a last resort, something i'll only do if i know i'm going to get less than 4-5 hours sleep. Lots of the B&B's will allow you to arrive late (normally 11ish, some later) but only if you ring and ask. If you've then got 14+ hours of driving the next day it goes a lot quicker because you're showered, rested, fed, and not aching.

If i had a large van i'd definitely consider it, but i don't!! I was just hoping some kind souls would reveal the B&B gems that are scattered around the UK because i know they're there!!
Elite Carriers

Postby CMD-Hants » Friday 3 October 2008, 14:55

Just Me wrote:Or you could always try a dating website :lol:

You may laugh, but in the 1990s when I worked as a PAYE courier, I did just that! Often ended up in Edgware (for BACS) or W1 areas late in the early evening and the journey back to Portsmouth didn't really appeal after a hard day's driving, so I made sure I had a portfolio of places in South London and Surrey in which to (ahem!) "lay my hat" when the need arose. Cynical, I know - but it was fun at the time!
Oh, to be twenty-something again
:D
CMD-Hants

Postby freestyleminibus2 » Sunday 5 October 2008, 12:03

Move to Leeds. Cover most of the UK and back in the same day. no B+B's :)
As per freestyleminibus.changed my email and lost my login.Just as organised at year end.
Small Van - Xlwb 4m+ - Luton Tail Lift half curtain 4m
Gilmartin Light Haulage.
freestyleminibus2

Postby Mike George » Monday 6 October 2008, 07:46

I've moved the other discussion to its own topic :arrow:

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!
Mike George
I used to be somebody

Postby A KIRK » Monday 6 October 2008, 13:53

I try to avoid sleeping in the van and often charge clients the cost of hotel, meals etc, but sometimes you end up in the van.

I always carry my sleeping bag, wash bag etc. I even have curtains made up which hook around the cab of the van.

I thought about buying a small kettle,as I'd rather use the vans electrics than risk blowing the van up with a gas stove in such a confined space.
The car in front is my crumple zone
Andrew Kirk AK Couriers http://www.ak-couriers.co.uk
A KIRK

Postby Elite Carriers » Sunday 19 October 2008, 13:21

I've done 3 overnighters this week resulting in one of my best weeks to date :D

Another one to add to the list is the Sunnyside Hotel, Victoria Road, Great Yarmouth. I know it's well known for having lots of cheap B&B's, probably on a par with Bournemouth / Blackpool etc, but i was really pleased with what i got. For £20, ensuite room, freeview tv, fridge (which was nice on a Friday night lol), cooked breakfast, and about 2 mins from the beachfront/arcades. The real plus here was they gave you a set of keys and said come and go as you like!! The only downer was no private parking, meaning i probably wouldn't stay there if loaded, but for a score i won't grumble too much :!:
Elite Carriers

Postby Darren » Monday 3 November 2008, 21:30

Just ooked a 3* Hotel in Plymouth £60 for Dinner,Breakfast,and Half bottle of wine :lol:

Result i say and it 100 Yards from where i am working 8)
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby A KIRK » Friday 14 November 2008, 15:15

OK people any suggestions for Sheffield, Nottingham, Bristol, and Warwick( Warwick I'll probably use ibis in Birmingham, but suggestions for the others would be great.

Need to be able to park a luton though

Chees
A KIRK

Postby A KIRK » Saturday 29 November 2008, 14:44

Thought I'd give a little update, in the last week or so I've stayed in the following, all with parking for a luton sized van.

Holiday inn Bath, very good hotel £71 per night inc breakfast
Ibis Sheffield, very good hotel £65 inc breakfast
Ibis Coventry South, a complete dump hell hole £42 inc breakfast
Holiday inn Nottingham, very good hotel £71 ex breakfast

Never know it might be of some use to someone one day.
A KIRK

Postby Elite Carriers » Saturday 10 January 2009, 11:11

Courtesy of Richard Dean - http://www.smoothhound.co.uk

Aesthetically not very pleasing, but you can search using the map or place name, and it seems to come back with a good size list for everywhere! The cheaper rooms are priced around £20/£30 (sometimes less) and whilst i'm sure there's some complete pooholes in there, it's up to you and i to decide which to use. A good find.
Elite Carriers

Postby Anonymous » Monday 9 February 2009, 22:23

A KIRK wrote:Thought I'd give a little update, in the last week or so I've stayed in the following, all with parking for a luton sized van.

Holiday inn Bath, very good hotel £71 per night inc breakfast
Ibis Sheffield, very good hotel £65 inc breakfast
Ibis Coventry South, a complete dump hell hole £42 inc breakfast
Holiday inn Nottingham, very good hotel £71 ex breakfast

Never know it might be of some use to someone one day.

A KIRK if your looking for a B&B in Coventry try The Glengary just up the A46 from Warwick and then just off the Coventry Airport Island.

Although I have never stayed there so cannot vouch for the accommodation but have been for a drink there now and again. it has a licensed bar, restaurant and breakfast is included in the price and you can get a non on-suite single room for £29 including breakfast or £45 with on-suite all have TV and coffee making facilities too :wink:

And parking for ya luton matey

http://www.theglengary.co.uk/relax.htm

If its any good let us know! :oops:
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Tuesday 31 March 2009, 11:38

metro inn newcastle .... just off a1 basic as hell but only £24 per night

showers but no brekkie :oops:

plenty parking spaces for luton etc
Anonymous

Postby zebadee » Monday 20 April 2009, 22:50

We've tried most of the hotel chains to date.

I can recommend any Premier Travel Inns, plenty about but they can be a bit pricey!

Comfort Inns aint as good but certainly cheaper. Oxford services, Leicester Forest, Sheffield & London Gate (old Scatchwood) are very cheap ( £25 ish). All next to main routes to!
Tel 07814723608

XLWB Mercedes Sprinter
UK & Europe, Same Day/Next Day, Level 4, Airfreight, Storage & Transhipment
zebadee

Postby Anonymous » Sunday 12 July 2009, 22:41

back of the van is the best sleep and add to the profit
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Sunday 12 July 2009, 23:09

No place like home, just keep goin till you get home or drop. :roll:
Anonymous

Postby Elite Carriers » Monday 13 July 2009, 09:53

Steve Ellis wrote:No place like home, just keep goin till you get home or drop. :roll:

That's not always the practical answer, leave Romford 4am tipping 5pm nr Inverness with a nextday Midday collection from Edinburgh returning to Kent doesn't really accommodate returning between.

Some more, Ben Craig Guest House, Edinburgh - £25, on site parking, free wi-fi, en-suite, breakfast (including some weird very spicy sausage), and as an added bonus it's only about 3 miles off the ring road - very handy!

Thorne Central Guest House, £30, all the same facilities as above but with a much larger parking area and a nice pub immediately next door. You get given a key and are free to roam. The location is handy for me but i guess that depends where you live and where you're going.
Elite Carriers

Next

Return to The highway