best LWB van for regular long distance work?

Diaries, blogs, stories about courier life, reports and pics of interesting trips, and general helpful stuff about traveling

best LWB van for regular long distance work?

Postby Smart Pets » Saturday 7 November 2015, 19:18

I am looking into setting up a pet transport service between UK and Spain. Although I have done a lot of driving work in my life I haven't been in this field for a few years and I am not up to date on the modern vans and their reliability.
I need a vehicle that can cope with the long distances and also the hills here in Spain, well, I say hills but they are actually mountains...I currently have an old and battered, but well loved, Transit and although I will be buying a much more modern vehicle I am tempted to stay with the Transit, but is that the best?? I am looking at spending up to £3000
Any advice or experience sharing would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Smart Pets

Re: best LWB van for regular long distance work?

Postby legrysexpressltd » Saturday 7 November 2015, 22:06

If your doing that Lind of mileage only spending 3k would be a false economy I'd be looking foe something newer and a few grand more tbh
legrysexpressltd

Postby Smart Pets » Sunday 8 November 2015, 11:40

well considering all the other expenditure that I will have to be making 3 grand is my budget. I have done over 80thou in the last year in my 20 year old transit and it has been to different countries many times fully loaded so I think moving up to a van that is 8-10 years old, which I can get for that figure, I should be ok...
Smart Pets

Postby legrysexpressltd » Sunday 8 November 2015, 13:47

But for the type of work you'll be doing you will need something more modern and it'll need to be fully airconditioned to meet transporting regs
legrysexpressltd

Postby MACK » Monday 9 November 2015, 19:10

I disagree with this new van BS
I am running an 08 with 250 K still going strong and I will get a couple of more years from it easy .

A lesson from a bad teacher :confused:

A infamous company owner hit the drugs and booze and scuppered the lot taking a few people with him . Out of rehab he reformed but could not get credit he now runs old van older than 10 years old (its all he can get) . They bodge them together themselves and still charge the full rate to the end users and often even more .They never knonk out because they are so well maintained but go all over Europe.
PLEASE DONT TAKE ANY BUSINESS LESSONS OR ADVICE FROM THIS GUY but just take note of the old fleet reliability ! They can be admired for that
No job to small .........but many too big
MACK

Postby legrysexpressltd » Tuesday 10 November 2015, 06:09

Mack where did I mention new vans. Foe the spec required I just think 3k for the van is too low
legrysexpressltd

Return to The highway