You can help overcome loneliness for isolated people

Diaries, blogs, stories about courier life, reports and pics of interesting trips, and general helpful stuff about traveling

You can help overcome loneliness for isolated people

Postby Mike George » Wednesday 15 October 2014, 08:04

I'm setting up a new initiative using Twitter to help overcome loneliness in elderly, housebound and isolated people, and you can help by spending just a few minutes now and again.

It doesn't need anybody to post a lot of tweets, just a lot of people to post one tweet when they've got time.

Next time you see an interesting sight or a beautiful view that you want to share, or anything interesting happens on your travels, tweet it (preferably with a picture) on your usual Twitter account - but don't forget to include the hashtag #RoadPals somewhere in the tweet.

That's all there is to it. I will also make sure the tweets get retweeted by the @RoadPals account.

I have been talking to the charity Contact the Elderly, who will help spread the word when the first few tweets have been posted, and I will be talking to other organisations which support elderly or isolated people.

You might think your driving days are boring, but just one interesting post a year can make a big difference to the people who read it.
Mike George
I used to be somebody

Re: You can help overcome loneliness for isolated people

Postby bob harrison » Wednesday 15 October 2014, 11:39

That's a really good idea,i watched a tv programme on loneliness last week it is very sad,some people don't speak to anyone for weeks,so well done for taking the time to do this. Cheers Bob :wave:
every days an adventure,
bob harrison

Postby Mike George » Wednesday 15 October 2014, 11:52

Thanks Bob, there are two tweets already ::D:

Loneliness is a serious problem for many older people especially. As The Who said "I hope I get old before I die" (or something like that) but Only the Lonely know how it feels. :rolleyes:
Mike George
I used to be somebody

Postby Mike George » Monday 10 November 2014, 16:51

After an initial flurry of activity it's settled down to just a couple of people tweeting for this - and I'm very grateful to them for their support.

I don't think I've got any actual old fogeys following it yet but I am now starting to make more contacts and spreading the word through the relevant organisations, so it would be really helpful if we could have a few more tweets to draw people in.

The people this is aimed at are not all old, they could be lonely, isolated or housebound (or hospital-bound) for other reasons. They also won't all be ex-drivers, so any pictures of anything you find interesting, or snippets from your journeys, would be good candidates.

You just have to add the hashtag #roadpals to anything you want to share and I'll take care of retweeting it. :blahblah:

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!
Mike George
I used to be somebody

Postby HATT » Monday 10 November 2014, 19:43

There are community transport organisations all over the country.I've just finished driving a minibus for my local charity.I older people I picked up were taken to a local supermarket. The first thing they did was have a coffee and natter.On the way home they would be chatting to each other(mainly food related subjects).
HATT

Postby markvincent » Monday 13 November 2017, 21:08

Mike George wrote:Thanks Bob, there are two tweets already ::D:

Loneliness is a serious problem for many older people especially. As The Who said "I hope I get old before I die" (or something like that) but Only the Lonely know how it feels. :rolleyes:

I think the who song went "I hope I die before I get old"
markvincent

Return to The highway