ferry prices calais to dover

Discussion, questions and answers about European / international work.

ferry prices calais to dover

Postby AjSidneyco.com » Thursday 20 June 2013, 18:27

it has been a while since i have done a euro job and i used sea france £98 return which seemed cheap for a long wheel base crafter, i used it 10-12 times in a couple of months and all went well apart from the food being absolute toot.
since then i have done a job to amsterdam .....which was nice but the ferry from harwich with a cabin was well dear.
so since sea france has gone down the pan who would be the best ferry service to use from dover for a mwb high roof sprinter?

i have always found p&o to be really dear for a van and eurostar to be ridiculous as they classify you as freight which is very unfair when you have an empty van.
so has anyone got any accurate prices or info on ferry prices or tips for the cheapest....i joined a club once to obtain cheap prices but i cant remember who it was with ....might have been a frequent user club for sea france but that was years ago
hands up who likes comics?
http://www.webfluid.co.uk
AjSidneyco.com

Re: ferry prices calais to dover

Postby maverick » Thursday 20 June 2013, 19:03

£65 + fuel surcharge for P&O direct
Loadandgo Light Haulage
Uk & Europe
www.loadandgohaulage.com
maverick

Postby AjSidneyco.com » Sunday 23 June 2013, 07:40

65 quid? is that all the time?,
one way or just at off peak times as i seem to remember walking into p&o office at dover once and they wanted £150 one way !!! a good few years back?
AjSidneyco.com

Postby RLT » Sunday 23 June 2013, 08:41

Unless you have a direct account your best bet would be Harbour Shipping. 01304 200912

Maybe about £80 with surcharges
RLT

Postby AjSidneyco.com » Wednesday 12 February 2014, 20:04

well i did a run down to stuttgart again last week and i can confirm that ferry prices to calais from dover are 88 quid return with a MWB sprinter , P& O wanted 185 for the same journey and the tunnel was £185 if i could prove it wasn't freight!!
can't be bothered with the tunnel as it is painfully slow so opted for the rebranded sea france ferries which are now called 'your ferry link' and as mentioned it was 88 quid return….happy days!!

Burst a blood vessel in my eye driving non stop there and back 18 hrs non stop more or less and it nearly killed me . still haven't recovered a week later. But i can now pay my tax bill……..
AjSidneyco.com

Postby bramble43 » Wednesday 12 February 2014, 22:26

£24 for a bike, return.
Might have trouble loading it up with an exhibition load though.

--------------------------------
On the road to nowhere
Motorcycle courier, same day / direct / timed, Nationwide and across Europe - Contact details on profile. Call or text for a quote.
bramble43
Site owner

Postby brad eufc » Wednesday 12 February 2014, 23:14

[quote="
can't be bothered with the tunnel as it is painfully slow so opted for the rebranded sea france

What planet are you on :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:
brad eufc

Postby MK BIKER » Thursday 13 February 2014, 00:00

brad eufc wrote:[quote="
can't be bothered with the tunnel as it is painfully slow so opted for the rebranded sea france

What planet are you on :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can't see how the tunnel is slower :confused:
MK BIKER

Postby EnsonExpress » Thursday 13 February 2014, 08:46

AjSidneyco.com wrote:can't be bothered with the tunnel as it is painfully slow

Burst a blood vessel in my eye driving non stop there and back 18 hrs non stop more or less and it nearly killed me . still haven't recovered a week later. But i can now pay my tax bill……..

What a good job you didn't go via the slow tunnel - you'd still be travelling and run out of drivers hours. Goodness knows what harm you'd have done yourself.
Dennis
Renault Kangoo with carpeted floor and folding bulkhead. 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.4m.
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).
EnsonExpress

Postby RLT » Thursday 13 February 2014, 09:11

Irresponsible and silly dangerous driving 18 hrs non stop! I imagine the customer would have been VERY happy knowing his goods were in good hands!
Most of the time the train is at least 45 mins faster, ok they do have delays but generally train is much faster.
Talk about living on a knife edge if having to rely on one Euro run to pay a tax bill !

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk
RLT

Postby MK BIKER » Thursday 13 February 2014, 10:23

Makes good business sense, driving there & back non stop to there have to take a week off to recover.

I would however go to the doctors as a burst blood vessel in the eye is often a sign of high blood pressure
MK BIKER

Postby RLT » Thursday 13 February 2014, 16:37

MK BIKER wrote:Makes good business sense, driving there & back non stop to there have to take a week off to recover.

I would however go to the doctors as a burst blood vessel in the eye is often a sign of high blood pressure

yeah right :lol:

:suspicious:
RLT

Postby legrysexpressltd » Thursday 13 February 2014, 17:53

18 hr drive easy I don't think the customer will care tbh. It what most customers expect at the least and what many vendors expect to
legrysexpressltd

Postby CRLighthaulage » Thursday 13 February 2014, 18:29

aferry.co.uk were always good for me, you don't have to be a member to book through them if I remember rightly and you still save some dollar, they used to be good but I havnt used them in a while, or how about LD Lines they used to be pretty good £71 return to Le harve.
CRLighthaulage

Postby RLT » Thursday 13 February 2014, 19:40

legrysexpressltd wrote:18 hr drive easy I don't think the customer will care tbh. It what most customers expect at the least and what many vendors expect to

Good luck when stopped or involved in an accident if driving non stop for that many hours :shock:

especially not in this country :x
RLT

Postby MK BIKER » Thursday 13 February 2014, 20:01

legrysexpressltd wrote:18 hr drive easy I don't think the customer will care tbh. It what most customers expect at the least and what many vendors expect to

I'd change your customers then :flower:
MK BIKER

Postby EnsonExpress » Thursday 13 February 2014, 20:21

I don't think they DO expect that. 18 hours average 50mph is 900 miles and I don't see anybody asking you to drive that far in this country.

However what they DO ask is for you to deliver 450 miles away.. The return 9 hours is down to the decision made by the driver. Neither the customer nor the vendor give a toss about the return journey (until you tell them say the cost will include an extra £60 for overnight stay) and with losing a day away from home for the return journey, the outbound trip should be charged higher to compensate.

How many times have I achieved any of the above (overnight and higher rate)? :lemon:
Dennis
Renault Kangoo with carpeted floor and folding bulkhead. 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.4m.
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).
EnsonExpress

Postby AjSidneyco.com » Friday 14 February 2014, 17:23

Good god ladies, is the elf and safety nonsense really necessary?
These sort of jobs are what make same day owner drivers get up in the morning for!!
It was my choice to do it in one Stint. I do stop for fuel obviously and munch and find closing my eyes for 15 minutes gets the job done. The choice was get it there for monday 8am , so catch ferry sleep for ferry journey. The ferry invariably takes 1hr30mins from loading to getting off. The tunnel takes an age to load and then crawls through the tunnel at a walking pace and i n my opinion takes 2hrs 10 mins from arriving at dover car park checking in etc etc to getting onto motorway out of french station or whatever you want to call it. so already i would be 20 mins later and 100 quid more out of pocket.

So the choice is do it in one stint and make good money and be back fresh for tuesday multi dropping in london or take 2 days to do it stay in a hotel take in a few sights and get back wednesday losing 3 days work in the process?
as for the paying my tax bill that will pay the first installment and bring some stability back to my business which is just what i need after 3 weeks off at christmas and bracing myself for another 5days off come easter.
be prepared or prepare to fail
That is my motto in this business and i have been doing it 15 years this year, with white van men dropping like flies at the moment a cash injection like that at this time of the year is just what we need to keep us going as it is usually slow until March in my experience
AjSidneyco.com

Postby AL-Trans » Monday 17 February 2014, 02:22

I'm personally addicted to very long drive and i would do them for free if i could, and belive me or not it actually is addicting after some time you just cant live other way.
By the way i have i have lwb sprinter and i never books a ferry for less than 100quid, how did you manage to get them so cheap?
AL-Trans

Postby AjSidneyco.com » Monday 17 February 2014, 18:22

ring them up direct before you leave . do not use agency websites as they charge commission.
http://www.myferrylink.com
AjSidneyco.com

Postby aliya845 » Monday 7 December 2015, 21:46

Ferry link is best option the sooner you book cheaper you get!
aliya845

Return to Europe/international