Start up queries

Introduce yourself here. No advertising or touting.
No questions on this one please!!!

Start up queries

Postby Ace_rewire » Monday 20 November 2017, 08:03

Hi Im Ben and am thinking about becoming a self employed courier driver, I have a couple of questions you more experienced guys may be able to help me with, they are:

1. Courier Insurance, can someone give me a ball park figure, and any advice on who to use?

2. Im interested in gaining work from either Courier Express, or Courier Expert, on a bid for work system, does anyone have any experience of these companies, ie are they genuine?

Many Thanks Fellas for taking the time to read this, look forward to your replies,

All the best Ben
Ace_rewire

Re: Start up queries

Postby bramble43 » Monday 20 November 2017, 19:53

Hi.
Welcome to codforum.

You’d be more likely to get responses if you ask again in the main forum.

Bid sites tend not to be an income provider, more suited to back loads, unless you want to spend 5 hours going on a 200 mike round trip for £40

The expert who isn’t, will register an office at your address, so if you try to get your own work, you’ll be competing against them, even if you are no longer working with them.
And you’ll have paid for the privilege
Motorcycle courier, same day / direct / timed, Nationwide and across Europe - Contact details on profile. Call or text for a quote.
bramble43
Site owner

Postby Ace_rewire » Monday 20 November 2017, 20:12

Probably a daft question, but Ive noticed the insurance for courier drivers is extremely expensive, is it possible to operate as a named driver, insurance wise?
Ace_rewire

Postby bramble43 » Monday 20 November 2017, 20:32

It’ll need to be covered for courier use whoever insured it.

If you are a named driver buy it’s your fan and the only/main driver, you can get into serious trouble
Motorcycle courier, same day / direct / timed, Nationwide and across Europe - Contact details on profile. Call or text for a quote.
bramble43
Site owner

Postby Ace_rewire » Tuesday 21 November 2017, 07:53

How can you get into trouble, the van and goods therein are insured! surely thats all you need, is there a regulation somewhere that says that is not possible, My dad owns a car with my mum as a named driver, she drives it all the time, for business purposes also, within the NHS no one has a problem with that, its perfectly legal, so why is a courier driver different? Im getting quotes of 3 grand off of these robbing parasites, that stinks! By the way, your advice and comments are greatly appreciated, please dont think im having a go at you. I hate being exploited and ripped off by these creeps.
Ace_rewire

Postby EnsonExpress » Tuesday 21 November 2017, 10:55

What Bramble is getting at is insurance is priced according to risk. It is also priced on the basis that the insured person discloses all relevant information which the insurer would wish to consider. S0.... it is incumbent on the insured person to tell the insurer that the van will be driven pretty much exclusively by one person and used for hire and reward as a courier.

As a courier I do thousands of miles a year - I'm not so busy so only about 50,000, but a courier who is earning a living wage will probably do more like 100,000. Logic insists that such mileage carries a higher risk of acidents, so it is priced accordingly.

My insurance, with 10 years + no claims bonus is of the order of £1,500, but we often see people expressing horror at new starter quotes in the thousands, so your £3,000 is not a surprise.

If you have an accident as an under-insured driver, the insurance company will find out that you're trying to beat the system and will say you are not covered and won't accept a claim. You don't care? Well, maybe you might if the claim was for a huge amount of compensation to the other driver etc and to you for your care in a wheelchair for the rest of your life?
Dennis
Renault Kangoo with carpeted floor and folding bulkhead. 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.4m.
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).
EnsonExpress

Postby Ace_rewire » Tuesday 21 November 2017, 18:57

Thanks for the useful advice, my aim is to try and reduce my costs, nothing dodgy, so I appreciate your input, on that note do you know of a decent insurer thats not going to have me over? Ta.
Ace_rewire

Postby EnsonExpress » Tuesday 21 November 2017, 19:22

I can’t help with insurance - I have passed some age limit which means I can’t shop around for quotes, almost nobody will quote, so I have to renew with existing policy and have had no improvement on price for several years.
Dennis
Renault Kangoo with carpeted floor and folding bulkhead. 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.4m.
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).
EnsonExpress

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Return to Say hello