Looking for advice

Introduce yourself here. No advertising or touting.
No questions on this one please!!!

Looking for advice

Postby bladesukltd » Wednesday 18 October 2017, 14:17

Hi All,

We are an online knife dealer, you may be aware that next year we will no longer be permitted to deliver to private addresses by standard post so we see a real opportunity to create a courier network to offer a face to face age verified delivery service for our industry. I was hoping we might be able to get some advice on where we can make contact with independent couriers who would be interested in being part of this network ?
bladesukltd

Re: Looking for advice

Postby EnsonExpress » Wednesday 18 October 2017, 15:45

Just add a little more detail please :-

Where are you (i.e. where are the knives being despatched from) so that a local courier can contact you.

How do you envisage the deliveries being carried out - significantly by Same Day service, or simply a well loaded van with multiple destinations for delivery much at the convenience of the courier over a time period (couple of days, a week etc).
Dennis
Renault Kangoo with carpeted floor and folding bulkhead. 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.4m.
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).
EnsonExpress

Postby EnsonExpress » Wednesday 18 October 2017, 15:49

Oh, and how are the knives packed?

Are they the sort of knives which could be classed as weapons?

EDIT TO ADD - Ignore that second question, now that I've looked at your website https://www.blades-uk.com/ctaction.php
Dennis
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).
EnsonExpress

Postby bladesukltd » Thursday 19 October 2017, 10:04

Thanks for your reply, this is very early days for us, all we know is we need a courier delivery service to survive and from the other dealers we've spoken with, we are all in agreement that they would use the service , basically as there is no alternative.

Currently we are based in Kings Lynn, Norfolk PE30 but as this will be a group of dealers, there would be collection points all over the UK

We are looking for the most cost effective delivery possible, delivery time etc. are all secondary to that end.

Our packaging is second to none, over the years we've sent some 300,000 packages with no issues despite parcels being run over and caught in machines etc. packaging and age verification have always been our top priorities as a responsible retailer, we're only in this mess because of small companies who sell the odd pocket knife and just don;t follow the rules, when it's 100% of your business, things are done properly - and it is very much those dealers that would be part of this operation
bladesukltd

Postby EnsonExpress » Friday 20 October 2017, 07:36

I am thinking this is going to be a very different delivery method to your present Royal Mail service. Without a full specification of what you want I’m guessing things like security tracking from your premises to delivery address with named signatories to be checked by drivers. No transshipping between depots perhaps.

My feeling is that your primary requirement of “most cost effective” will not easily fit in with many couriers as that qualification smacks of the sort of arrangements used by the likes of e-bay sellers, which do not lend themselves to the sort of secured delivery I think you need for dangerous goods.

I have posted a link to this thread on the Shed 5 website (shed5.co.uk) which registers couriers who are checked for insurances and are generally thought to be reliable and trustworthy.
Dennis
07903 129 445

EnsonExpress

Postby Ray Sherring » Tuesday 24 October 2017, 12:13

I am based in King's Lynn and have emailed you to introduce my company. Like Dennis my main concern is your requirement for the most cost effective delivery option particularly as your website says no delivery is over £7.99!! I would be more than happy to deliver items across the UK on an "as and when" basis and also age verify your customers but this service would cost a fair bit more and I am not sure it would be viable for you. Please email or call me if you wish to discuss the pros and cons of deliveries.

Thanks Ray
"Shut up fool I aint getting on no plane"
H.A.R.K.Solutions (UK) Ltd
http://www.harksolutions.webs.com
Ray Sherring

Postby Addams UK » Tuesday 24 October 2017, 19:08

i think price will be the issue here, the sameday market is a totally different animal to the overnighters, i wouldn't imagine there are going to be many deliveries in a localised area like a multidrop round.

How/where would we pick up the deliveries?
Dave Addams, 07968 764681
CPC National and International.
LWB Sprinter Full courier ins, GiT £20,000, P/L - £2M.
Addams UK

Postby EnsonExpress » Tuesday 24 October 2017, 19:39

If you check the original post, you will see that they recognise that they will no longer be able to do standard postal deliveries - multi drop by any other name - so they know it's got to be different.

I've chatted briefly with them and they tell me there is a need for this service from a group (association?) of dealers across UK (but not Scotland), who would probably be able to provide a warehouse or three for use as hubs - collections from dealers into the hubs, transshipped to other hubs and then distributed by local couriers. Difference from the likes of national multi droppers (TNT, UPS, etc) is all the local couriers must be top calibre and every delivery has to be signed for, with the addressee age checked, none of this chucking over the fence or leaving with a neighbour or "in your safe place". One such has already told them they don't want the work - won't commit to age checking.

I really mustn't say too much about this as I only had a short chat and I'm not going to be involved (unless a main company ties me in for local work). But mainly because it's very early stages at the moment - the new law hasn't been formulated yet, these dealers are thinking ahead without full details of what will be the law about deliveries by third parties.
Dennis
07903 129 445

EnsonExpress

Postby Addams UK » Wednesday 25 October 2017, 18:38

i'll keep an eye on this thread
Dave Addams, 07968 764681
CPC National and International.
LWB Sprinter Full courier ins, GiT £20,000, P/L - £2M.
Addams UK

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Return to Say hello