Multi drop

General chat, news, views, jokes, moans, questions and anything else that doesn't fit on the other forums.

Multi drop...

Postby MarkGascoigne » Friday 13 November 2009, 18:31

jue wrote:just go to parcelforce directly. you will get a half decent wage of them. the courier will want to pay you peanuts. trust me on that one !

Well, went for the interview...8 of us there.

As said the Courier Company have a Contract with ParcelForce.

6am start, 530pm finish. 100-110 drops per day, though the interviewer was honest enough to say this would be 150+ over the Xmas Weeks.

Will find out the end of next week.
MarkGascoigne

Postby Frankus » Friday 13 November 2009, 19:28

Anyone know, how many are actually delivered on the first try?

How many taken back to depot?

Are they re-delivered?

Or do customers have to go to the depot for them?
Self employed owner driver. Daventry based. Berlingo 600kg.
Full Hire & Reward, £15,000 GIT £2M P/L
Tel: 07737 170035
Frankus

Postby dino » Friday 13 November 2009, 20:05

150 drops per day :yikes: :yikes: glad that's not me.
!!!!!!KEEPING THE DREAM ALIVE!!!!!!
dino

Multi drop...

Postby MarkGascoigne » Friday 13 November 2009, 20:55

dinoakaliam wrote:150 drops per day :yikes: :yikes: glad that's not me.

Well here's hoping they offer the Job to someone else! :lol:
MarkGascoigne

Postby Andrew Brown » Friday 13 November 2009, 22:51

150 drops per day you will be dead and dropped before christmas even gets here

once tried with dhl at just 30 drops per day nearly killed me at that :lemon:
A & J Courier Ltd
Van & Motorcycle courier
Andrew Brown

Postby steve jones » Saturday 14 November 2009, 02:55

Phew,150 kind of makes you wish christmas has been and gone already. :(
steve jones

Postby jue » Saturday 14 November 2009, 20:29

theres no way you could do 150 a day ! about 70 ish is more realistic at xmas time. say to them dont expect other people to do what they couldnt do themselves ! lol. i think they are just trying it on with you. glad i dont have this problem at my depot .
jue

Multi drop...

Postby MarkGascoigne » Saturday 14 November 2009, 20:55

jue wrote:theres no way you could do 150 a day ! about 70 ish is more realistic at xmas time. say to them dont expect other people to do what they couldnt do themselves ! lol. i think they are just trying it on with you. glad i dont have this problem at my depot .

The funny thing is Jue, at the start of his talk to us all he said it would be 100-110 drops per day, more over Xmas etc...

and he appreciated it would be hard work and if anybody wanted to leave now saying 'no thanks, its not for me' he'd happily shake their hand and say good luck! :shock:

I'd made the effort to travel to the talk/interview, so I decided to see it out... prob should have walked thinking back! :D
MarkGascoigne

Postby Darren » Saturday 14 November 2009, 20:56

It all depends wether its 150 drops ( not achieveable) or 150 units to 50 address's :?:
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby jue » Saturday 14 November 2009, 21:04

if you roughly work it out as doing 10 drops a hour which is good going if you dont have any problems, 80 drops=8 hours plus traveling time to location. that is in a built up area too. also,it starts getting dark at 4pm and you hit all the traffic from everybody going home then your drop rate goes down dramatically. you will also need to figure into your day a break so you can grab a quick bite to eat .
jue

Postby Ian Clibbon » Sunday 15 November 2009, 09:55

I used to work for Biz Post now Uk Mail and at xmas my drops would go from 90 a day to 130+ and i spent all day chasing my backside and looking forward to the xmas break so I could have my break then
When im not working im catching up on sleep, somebody has to deliver the papers.
http://www.clibbscouriers.co.uk
Ian Clibbon

Postby Rwill » Sunday 15 November 2009, 11:06

As the industries non expert on multi drop I thought I would have my say.

I meet guys local to me who work for UPS who dont seem to be faized at all by "big" numbers over 120 a day even up to 180. When you quiz them further though they admit they are counting the daily number of cons not drops and that also their route is something like "Wallington High Street" ie a mile and a half of shops and offices on one straight road and all their goods are one kilo or less jiffy bags to totally business locations and electronic POD capture.

Me I get stressed out at anything over five and thats if I have been there before.

How many drops a day does a postie or a milkman do?
Rwill

Postby Elite Carriers » Sunday 15 November 2009, 12:04

Darren wrote:It all depends wether its 150 drops ( not achieveable) or 150 units to 50 address's :?:

What he says :yes:

150 was around the maximum i've ever achieved, and it was on a route i knew well. Roughly half of them would be residential addresses in Highbridge / Burnham, and the other half were the holiday parks on one straight road north of Burnham. The first 75 took me 3/4 of the day and the final 75 were always tripled / quadrupled up and could be done in 90 - 120 mins.

This wasn't just small packages either, it ranged from the standard catalogue clothing to flat packed furniture to hoovers etc.

One thing we're all unanimous about - if you do take this on there's no denying you'll be earning your money.
"You see things; and you say 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?'"
Elite Carriers

Postby Chippie The Courier » Sunday 15 November 2009, 15:40

Andrew Brown wrote:150 drops per day you will be dead and dropped before christmas even gets here

once tried with dhl at just 30 drops per day nearly killed me at that :lemon:

When I started driving some 30 odd years ago (at 18) I did 130 drops + collections on my Friday run + cash collections + fitting cabinets on the wall!!! etc etc. 8)

That was when I was slim and super fit though LOL
Chippie The Courier

Postby russell » Sunday 15 November 2009, 15:51

my brother in law worked for UPS for 15 years covering redditch,
100 drops was a quiet day, usually between 130-150 the norm,
he used to leave the depot every morning riding on the bumpstops and return most days the same
he is a walking A TO Z.
he seemed to know every company, every road and postcode.

drivers like him are worth their weight in gold but ups changed pay structure so he lost his bonus wich was nearly double his wage.
because he was out later as he had a big run he actually earned less than the lazy gets doing 40-50 drops and got in early
he didnt stop long after that
he also did brum for a few years so i leave him in the luton van doing the local stuff
elphicks courier service
lwb vw crafter 163,
tranny luton,partner.
07946 380941
russell

Postby Frankus » Sunday 15 November 2009, 16:14

Frankus wrote:Anyone know, how many are actually delivered on the first try?

Are they re-delivered?

Come on guys- it's a legitimate question - no-one got any answer?

I'm hurt everyone ignored me... :cry:
Frankus

Postby RLT » Sunday 15 November 2009, 17:23

Frankus wrote:

Are they re-delivered?

ask the depot manager :roll:
RLT

Postby Noble Express Couriers » Sunday 15 November 2009, 18:59

Do you mean ones that have been failed?? ie closed or couldnt find the house etc etc??

Any that you dont deliver would get taken back to the depot. All of the addresses that you failed on would be "carded" meaning that the customer could either have it redelivered at a more convenient time ir they could come and collect.
I know from personal experience that DPD automatically send the parcel out the following day if no one was in the day before - unless you call them and instruct otherwise.

Somedays everything can go right and people are in and waiting for your delivery, theyre happy to see you, and you can fly through your manifest (or technical equivilant). Other days can be the complete opposite and those fwe extra minutes wasted by knockin the door an extra time to see if someone really is in can ruin your day - plus youve got to climb over everything in the back of your van that should have been delivered - this can be most annoying.

At the end of the day, TRY IT, you might actually like delivering 100 drops per day. I thought Id hate it..believe me some days I did - but theres nothing better than going home with some satisfaction that youve done a hard days work, and got most if not all of them completed.
Not everyone can do it - alot of people just dismiss it as being too difficult and dont even bother with it. Just wait for the phone to ring instead.

Ive said before on another topic, at the end of the day anyone can be a sameday courier. Anyone can drive from point A to point B using a Sat Nav, but not everyone can have 100+ drops per day, route them into the order you want, and then delvier them. You need to just keep telling yourself that its a job, your not going to be spending huge amounts in fuel and 9 times out of 10 you will be relatively local. Usually about 30/40 mile radius.

If you cant do it and find yourself not getting round in time, speak to the gaffer and perhaps change routes, or alternatively just stick at it until something else comes along. Monies pays the bills!!!!
I Used To Run A Courier Company. Now I Sell Tyres...The Best Thing I Ever Did.
http://www.entyrety.com
(Sorry if thats against the rules mods!!)
Noble Express Couriers

Multi Drop

Postby Anonymous » Sunday 15 November 2009, 20:45

Hello All,

Been lurking around the forum for a few weeks now, and find it really interesting.

Thought I'd give my thoughts on this subject as I do have experience at the sharp end for many years now.

The most indivdual drops ( seperate addresses ) I've done in a day is 96,with around 140 parcels. This wasn't even Xmas.

I deliver around a town ctr route with its many frustrations regarding parking restrictions,and traffic wardens who sprint faster than Usain Bolt to book me.
I also deliver around the surrounding districts as well , these will be mainly private addresses. Average daily card deliveries around 7 or 8 and on one occasion 18 being the record.
That is over an hr just writing cards out.Most days I dont get any break I have both a paper manifest to be signed at point of delivery and also an elec scanner. The majority of pods I will put in at the back end of the shift just before my 250 parcel collection.

Mileage for the average day is around 60 to 65 miles with around 20 of those miles spent getting to and from my round.
As Noble says a lot of deliveries are sent out on two consecutive days , another frustration to contend with.

In the morning you will get many parcels that are not on the manifest, so this will only add to your workload.

At the end of each day you will certainly feel like you've earned your money. Has to be said though that i get a sense of achievement knowing I've done the job to the best of my ability. You certainly won't get any thanks from management.

With all the running I have to do, I certainly dont struggle with my weight.

The secret to success in this field is to keep your cool at all times, as once you lose your temper you may as well forget the rest of the day, it will only go down hill.

Try it as Noble says , you may like it . You'll never know if you dismiss out of hand.

The company i work for is City Link.

In conclusion . Regular money but hard graft . I hope my insight helps someone.

:lol:
Anonymous

Postby slim » Monday 16 November 2009, 00:45

Frankus wrote:

Are they re-delivered?

Undels back to depot? 3% to 5%, though how hard you try with neighbours, second tries, will obviously make a difference overall.
slim

Postby rhubarb » Monday 16 November 2009, 00:52

A few years back I worked at Citylink, as a relief driver covering all the rounds..

I used to get a couple of days with a driver learning the round, and it was before satnavs were out..

The more you do, the more they will pile on you, is what I found..

Aside from the awkwardness of parking, the town centre routes were the best..

I had one rural route, that covered a radius of 20ish miles, and it was only 40 - 50 drops a day, plus between 10 - 15 collections and that was the worst one to do...For eg: Two 9am's and they're 15 miles apart..

Not for me, never again, getting home and hitting the whisky everynight.

As others have said, you will earn your money..
rhubarb

Postby Frankus » Monday 16 November 2009, 18:38

675 wrote:
Frankus wrote:

Are they re-delivered?

ask the depot manager :roll:

Which depot manager? who? Are you assuming I am doing multi-drops?

No, it's a general question. I don't fancy multi-drop work. Too much running around - and with my back the way it is I'd never survive!!
Frankus

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
PreviousNext

Return to Random Banter