delivering newspapers

General chat, news, views, jokes, moans, questions and anything else that doesn't fit on the other forums.

delivering newspapers

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 29 April 2009, 12:42

hi all been a while since ive been on so first off my apologies,been movin house.ive applied for a job for a company that delivers newspapers to shops so its more or less nights,1.30am-06.00am,the company supplies the van uniform etc but you have to work for them on a self employed basis.nothing as yet regarding salary except saying competitive rates,im just wondering if anyone thinks this would be a good step forward to achieving my eventual goal as an owner driver,after all i will be self employed and maybe work my way up to gettin my own van etc,any thoughts would be appreciated thanks
Anonymous

Postby RCD UK » Wednesday 29 April 2009, 13:56

Tompa, search WHSmiths and Surridge Dawsons.

It used to be very good money: over £400/week for the hours you described. Average now perhaps - but this was twenty years ago. Then came the explosion of new magazine titles onto the shelves. Then came the internet. Then came reduced market share. Then came pressured margins and cost cutting.

There are two issues really:

Firstly, you'll be so knackered you'll struggle to find the energy to develop your business during normal office hours. No matter how you arrange your sleep you'll have an unpleasant combination of no social or family life. Virtually no one does it long term, hermits and no mates excepted. Be aware it is physically demanding: not only will you load upto 1,500kgs into (and out of) your own van each night, you'll also reload another 500kgs of returns each night too. Call it around 3,500kgs through your hands per night. They may try to pressure you into running overweight.

Secondly, they appear to want you to have all the hassle of being your own business whilst at the same time dictate what's what. That's not what being your own man is by most definitions. "Work for us but be self employed" roughly translates as "Suits us much better than you that way".

Actually there's another issue, so to speak: tomorrow's issue of whichever daily rag you choose. The daily newsprint market is dwindling rapidly, the distributors are probably all bricking it as more and more people access the same dross digitally, i.e. how much of a future can there be for them...

I managed it for about four years by sharing the work with my Bro. As the hours and work increased the rate went the other way to the point that instead of four or five hours a night it became at least seven. I wouldn't have minded that so much if the money had been adjusted accordingly.

In summary, ok short term but that's it.

Oh, and your only day off each year will be Christmas Day.
Simon Howes (DGSA) RCD UK (Leics.) +44 (0)797 363 5377 http://www.rcduk.com LEICESTER GB
Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor / External consulting - ADR Hazardous including Class 7 Radioactives
Exhibition & I.T. Installations, all supported to Gold Standard.
RCD UK

Postby Ian Clibbon » Wednesday 29 April 2009, 14:22

I agree with RCD no social life I did it 10 years ago had 3 morning runs, 2 claims runs & a magazine run in the afternoon it wasn't bad I have just got back into it as sameday work is just not as easy to get as it used to be, you can work through the day as well as do the papers only if you have the willpower and stamina to do it I would like to know who it is for can't be Dawson's there drivers don't wear uniforms
When im not working im catching up on sleep, somebody has to deliver the papers.
http://www.clibbscouriers.co.uk
Ian Clibbon

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 29 April 2009, 15:10

its for a company called valley direct up here in the north east,they are at gateshead on the team valley trading estate.hours are 36 per week,6 nights on 2 off,it is definately newspapers.i think i have the stamina to do it as ive just come from engineering and that was all shift work including 12 hour shifts,i was just thinking it may be a way of getting my foot on the ladder into the delivery/courier business and apparantly it is a permenant job,so i was thinking maybe stick it out a bit until i can get my own van etc as all othe courier work i have applied for want experienced drivers for multidrop work.so even this is difficult to get as ive been out of the industry for over 15 years
Anonymous

Postby Express_Europe » Wednesday 29 April 2009, 15:14

Apparently Smiths are buying out Dawsons !

Ive got Smiths (Borehamwood branch) on my case desperate to allocate me a round from their "Stevenage House" operation.

They've written to me twice in 4 weeks sofar !

They must have opened a new warehouse in Stevenage.
Express_Europe

Postby Ian Clibbon » Wednesday 29 April 2009, 15:30

To Tompa yes it's definatley a foot in the door and won't do you any harm in that aspect.
When im not working im catching up on sleep, somebody has to deliver the papers.
Ian Clibbon

Postby Ian Clibbon » Wednesday 29 April 2009, 15:33

To Express-Europe I've heard that Smiths are mean't to be buying Dawson's out and they have opened a depot in Stevenage for the NI contract which is the Sun, Times & News of the World have you got a phone number for them like to find out what deal they are offering
Ian Clibbon

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 29 April 2009, 16:50

thanks for the input guys
Anonymous

Postby Express_Europe » Wednesday 29 April 2009, 17:38

Yeah sure,

Ive got a direct landline number for the Borehamwood depot personnel dept:

Kristina Yianni

0208 381 5272

If its any help she told me they work on a 7 day contract (renewable) paid weekly !!!
(didnt mention how much though LOL)

Self invoicing (ie no need to submit one)

Thanks for the heads up re Stevenage House :wink:
Express_Europe

Postby Ian Clibbon » Wednesday 29 April 2009, 18:20

Cheers for Smiths number if we can't help each other out who can we help out :wink:
Ian Clibbon

Postby jue » Thursday 30 April 2009, 09:43

i applied for a application form and i received it yesterday. it goes something like this.

driver/packer
36 per week,6 nights on,2 off within 1.30am-6am
permanent
this is a self-employed vacancy. applicants must have a driving licence as you will be travelling between sites in a vehicle provided by the company. duties will include delivering newspapers across the north east. you will be packing the newspapers ready for the deliveries. you will be based at the team valley trading estate.

it says training is paid at £25 per shift :yikes: .this will be paid on your 3rd full invoice. invoices must be handed in on the 1st of each month, to be paid on the 7th.

any damages to vans up to a repair cost of £1000 will be paid by you :shock: and you have to wear their uniform ! i am going to the toilet and the form will come in handy ! :lol:
jue

Postby Express_Europe » Thursday 30 April 2009, 11:31

So they dont want much then ? :lol:

Sounds like a cushty number.... NOT ! :roll:
Express_Europe

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 6 May 2009, 19:41

well boys n girls, i took the plunge,its like takin candy off a baby,dont have to wear uniforms,all their vans are hire vehicles,oldest is an 06,mostly lwb trannys.u just go in,wait for 40 footers to cum in and drop papers,pick ur order load up n away.i got a round with 25 shops only delivering 3 brand named papers(sun,times n telegraph),stared at 02.30 back in bed at 05.00 n still get paid up to 06.00,piece of cake,BUT,yes theres always one of these,wages are only around 200 a week before tax n stamp,so i suppose its only beer money.but being self employed now ive also applied to tnt for the home based courier,which i can earn maybe another 50 or 60 quid,so it may be buttons to some,but to me its a start
Anonymous

Postby Ian Clibbon » Wednesday 6 May 2009, 19:55

Glad to hear your enjoying it have you had a rerun yet thats a pain in the bum do they sub contract out or can you only do it directly for them in there vehicles
Ian Clibbon

Postby Anonymous » Wednesday 6 May 2009, 23:58

as far as i know these use there own vehicles,but there seem to be other companies running from the same building,i even noticed a couple of smaller vans in,they all seem to be delivering papers though,the building or company they are using is gilespies who i believe do the newspaper distribution, i believe these are subbing the work to smaller companies working from within their premises,at least thats my early impression,but i will plod on for now and keep you up to date
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 7 May 2009, 00:01

as for returns we are picking them up as we deliver,not that many on my round thankfully,but i think once every fortnight we have a rota where we have to scan all returns before they get sent for recycling etc
Anonymous

Postby jue » Thursday 7 May 2009, 09:26

glad its going well for you tompa. dont want to dampen your spirits but won't the hours you are working at the moment make it really hard for you to take on any extra work ? im on about your rest patterns that you will need to take so you can drive safely. that was 1 of the reasons i never sent the application form back and because the money and days you were working were not very good. if the money was decent then it would of been ok. anyway, hope it goes well for you . :)
jue

Postby Darren » Thursday 7 May 2009, 09:38

If only you guys knew the hours and the pay Menzies used to pay 25 Years ago for that work :yikes:
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 7 May 2009, 15:56

thanks jue ,i know what you mean but this is all im doing at the mo just to ease myself back into the industry,with maybe a bit of tnt home based stuff.at the mo with the start times im comin in around 6.00 am n maybe catnap for an hour then im up all day n go to bed around 8 or 9 n get up in time to go to work.fortunately i am 10 mins away,so during the week im ok.the weekends are the bummer 10 0clock start on fri n sat night which is to cover all the supplements n mags for sunday papers etc.if it wasnt local i wouldnt do it for some of the reasons you guys have already mentioned so im just ploddin on for now to see how it goes
Anonymous

Postby Elite Carriers » Thursday 7 May 2009, 16:36

That's quite different to what you wrote last night when you were saying you do 2.5 hrs per night over 6 nights for £200. That equates to around £13ph.

Now it's 3.5 hrs over 4 nights, and 8 each for the 2 weekend nights. That's just over £6.50ph. A huge difference, not to mention (as has already been noted) that you'll be very tired if still driving in the late afternoon, and no doubt your social life is suffering.

At £13ph as a stepping stone i'd say yes, at £6.50ph i'd seriously reconsider.
"You see things; and you say 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?'"
Elite Carriers

Postby Anonymous » Thursday 7 May 2009, 22:57

i know what ur saying elite,but u go when u finish so to speak but still get paid for full shift,like sometimes depending on returns etc you can complete ur round early,i know the money is rubbish but ur gauranteed 36 hrs paid work,whether you finish early or late,so say u can hit ur shifts where u finish sharp then u could probably do 32 hrs work n get paid for 36 or something along those lines,plus the first hour or so of the shift ur waiting for the forty footers to bring the papers in,so theres 6 hours pay for doin naff all over the week.like i said im only doin it as its on my doorstep,if i had to travel then no way,but as ive said i will plod on for nowafter all its better than the dole .
Anonymous

Postby David Smith » Friday 8 May 2009, 19:42

Tompa, fair play to you mate, and you seem to have the right attitude. Keep plugging away it will happen for you.
David Smith

Next

Return to Random Banter