Possible New Starter to Smiths News

General chat, news, views, jokes, moans, questions and anything else that doesn't fit on the other forums.

Possible New Starter to Smiths News

Postby kickin_chicken » Saturday 14 April 2018, 02:29

Morning All,

Due to my current circumstances I've had to give up my full time job a few months ago to look after my dad (dementia), but now we've managed to sort night time carers out it's free'd up a little time for me.

I was just wandering if someone can help me, I've searched this site and all over the net but couldn't find an answer to my question, quite an obvious question really. Quite a few years ago I used to speak to a driver that would come into work and he would tell me about Smiths News, and how much they pay (which seemed a hell of lot). Anyway I've seen an ad for owner drivers for Smiths News and responded, they gave me ring today and arranged an interview for next Thursday at 3am with one of the transport managers. The 2 people I spoke to over the phone today didn't give much information at all other than asking if I've got a van and where I need to go on Thursday, when I asked questions they told me to ask the Transport Manager. My question is does anyone know the rate Smiths News pay owner drivers as I can't find any information anywhere on the net.

Also if they sign me up to a 12 month contract but decide it's not for me within a month or 6 months can I just give them notice and leave?

Sorry if my first question is rude and if anyone works for them and doesn't want to broadcast it publicly please send me a private message.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
kickin_chicken

Re: Possible New Starter to Smiths News

Postby kickin_chicken » Sunday 29 April 2018, 20:39

Well I went for the interview, I was told my round would consist of 27 drops. Now I know the hours aren't long and 27 drops isn't exactly a lot, but the pay they were offering I wouldn't work for me. I would be doing 270 miles a week just getting there and back, plus fuel for doing the work and vehicle insurance I'd be left with less than £100 per week, from that £100 I'd need to take off maintenance, vehicle tax, plus tax and national insurance.

They did offer extra money if you helped pick and pack the papers but it still wasn't enough, no where near what I was told many years ago.
kickin_chicken

Re: Possible New Starter to Smiths News

Postby EnsonExpress » Monday 30 April 2018, 10:45

Thanks for that information (sorry, I didn't see your original post). So now we know. I don't think you'd be paying a lot of tax on that money!

Incidentally, the 27 drops would have been that number of stop-starts, not good for battery and starter motor and clutch, just one more reason I wouldn't do multi-drop work.

I once knew a guy doing something similar. He used to jump out of his van to deliver to the newsagent shop, leaving his engine running, in and out in next to no time. Cost him £60 the night a passing copper booked him for it.

Good luck finding something.
Dennis
Renault Kangoo with carpeted floor and folding bulkhead. 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.4m.
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).
EnsonExpress

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

Return to Random Banter