A heads up for new owner drivers

General chat, news, views, jokes, moans, questions and anything else that doesn't fit on the other forums.

A heads up for new owner drivers

Postby Mike George » Monday 21 January 2013, 13:32

Here are some tips for new owner driver subbies, to help you avoid the bad payers.

First let me say that the vast majority of couriers you do jobs for are honest and you don't have to worry about whether you will get paid (although some do take their time). But there are a few crooks around who run up big subby bills and then go pop, leaving a load of people in the lurch, and they often start up again with a new name the following week.

The simplest and most important thing you can do to protect yourself is to do some basic credit control - decide how much debt you will let a courier company run up without paying you, and stick to it. Set a realistic level so if you don't get paid it will be annoying but won't break you. Get full names and contact details, including invoice name and address.

If it looks like you will be doing a lot of work for somebody you should check them out to make sure they are on the level. I find a good place to start is http://www.companycheck.co.uk, where you can get basic information about limited companies and their directors. Even if the business isn't a limited company you might find they were previously trading with a similar name as a limited company (like Joe Bloggs Couriers Ltd, when the new business is called Joe Bloggs Couriers). You can check whether specific people are directors, or if they have previously been directors, on the same site.

To get more official records about a limited company go to http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk and search active and dissolved companies. Look for similar names that can indicate serial phoenix companies (like Super Courier Ltd, Super Courier (UK) Ltd, Super Courier (North) Ltd, etc). If you find the company click on the link "order information on this company" which will take you to a page of the complete history of the company. The "current appointments" report is free and shows who the current directors and secretary are. The other documents listed are only £1 each and might be worth reading if you see any mentions of "strike off" or a lot of changes of address or directors.

Some other simple checks you can do are to Google their phone numbers and email addresses, and their postcode, which sometimes show up multiple business names using the same contact details.

Some people like to get credit reports but I don't think they're worth bothering with.

If you start doing jobs for somebody there are a few things that should set the alarm bells ringing, such as:
- very quick payment for a few jobs, then delays and excuses
- they answer the phone with a different business name
- you get emails from addresses which don't match their business name
- they ask you to invoice a different company name, or use a different address

It's not always easy to check people out, especially if you take work from strangers while you're out on the road, but if you intend to do more work for them you should do it as soon as you can. If you're a member of an exchange you still have to take responsibility for your own checking, but you should also ask the exchange owners what checking they do to help avoid the bad guys.
Last edited by Mike George on Tuesday 25 June 2013, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated director search information

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!
Mike George
I used to be somebody

Re: A heads up for new owner drivers

Postby Quick Step » Monday 21 January 2013, 17:55

Thanks for the info Mike. Some useful tips and links :yes:
Once an OD, now an employed Courier
Quick Step

Postby ray valentine » Thursday 24 January 2013, 11:35

Some good advice and information, but why do you presume that some one starting in this industry will be a subcontractor? When i started i never thought about subcontracting i wanted the whole cake not just a thin slice, i also wanted the icing and the cherry on the top. However i have and continue to work for other couriers and transport companies but under my terms. I have a large customer base 90% are my own customers and 10% are couriers and transport companies.
Ray Valentine Refrigerated Vans.
Temperature Controlled Courier.
ray valentine

Postby Mike George » Thursday 24 January 2013, 11:37

I didn't assume that Ray, I just said it was some advice for new owner driver subbies. Obviously if a new owner driver isn't a subby it's not that relevant.

Mike George
I used to be somebody

Postby ray valentine » Thursday 24 January 2013, 11:41

Mike George wrote:I didn't assume that Ray, I just said it was some advice for new owner driver subbies. Obviously if a new owner driver isn't a subby it's not that relevant.

I think you are wrong, a lot of what you have written is relevant and is sound advice.
Ray Valentine Refrigerated Vans.
Temperature Controlled Courier.
ray valentine

Postby maverick » Tuesday 5 February 2013, 12:12

Ken Dodd Couriers wrote:Thanks for the tips very usefull, I have been using company check for a while, was thinking about updrading to a pro account to see aditional info.

:clap: :clap: post of the decade :lol: :lol:
Loadandgo Light Haulage
Uk & Europe
www.loadandgohaulage.com
maverick

Postby arglogistics » Tuesday 5 February 2013, 22:45

Thank you for the information.
arglogistics

Postby EnsonExpress » Wednesday 6 February 2013, 10:40

maverick wrote:
Ken Dodd Couriers wrote:Thanks for the tips very usefull, I have been using company check for a while, was thinking about updrading to a pro account to see aditional info.

:clap: :clap: post of the decade :lol: :lol:

And a photo of his anonymous "office" 5 minutes (rocket-powered) from Exeter Airport stores? ("Air Craft On The Ground Service. We are five minutes from The Exeter International Airport stores and hangers" - He trained as an estate agent!) :lol:

Dennis
Renault Kangoo with carpeted floor and folding bulkhead. 1.1 x 1.1 x 1.4m.
07903 129 445

Dear Lord, please save me from the ex pert drivers (y'know the ones in black cars).
EnsonExpress

Postby MACK » Friday 8 February 2013, 09:09

hey Jezza Hawke remember you from years ago man !!!! Your boys used to do some of the misroutes when Ross Mac in Plymouth was area manger for our lot !!!!! You still run and do all that crazy sports stuff or you too old now . I remember when you used to come up to Chris Sanigars
No job to small .........but many too big
MACK

Postby MK BIKER » Friday 8 February 2013, 12:21

MACK wrote:hey Jezza Hawke remember you from years ago man !!!! Your boys used to do some of the misroutes when Ross Mac in Plymouth was area manger for our lot !!!!! You still run and do all that crazy sports stuff or you too old now . I remember when you used to come up to Chris Sanigars

Please note this very likely not the JH you are thinking of :suspicious:
MK BIKER

Postby MACK » Friday 8 February 2013, 13:02

MK BIKER wrote:
MACK wrote:hey Jezza Hawke remember you from years ago man !!!! Your boys used to do some of the misroutes when Ross Mac in Plymouth was area manger for our lot !!!!! You still run and do all that crazy sports stuff or you too old now . I remember when you used to come up to Chris Sanigars

Please note this very likely not the JH you are thinking of :suspicious:

Are you joking ! ? The real Jezza wont stand for this does he know ! ?
Is the site allowed to do this .

NOTICE TO JEZZA
I AM NOT PARTY TO ANY OF THIS STUFF ON THE INTERNET JUST THOUGHT IT WAS YOU !
MACK

Postby MK BIKER » Friday 8 February 2013, 13:27

The site hasn't been party to the registering of this member :rolleyes:

I am guessing this is not who they say they are as Mr JH has slightly fallen out of favour of most regulars on here after his company ( purely coincidently using a similar business name than that of his own name ) clocked up a list of CCJ's as long as his arms some of which are to forum members, this is all in the public domain.
MK BIKER

Postby Mike George » Friday 8 February 2013, 13:29

MACK wrote:Are you joking ! ? The real Jezza wont stand for this does he know ! ?

Are you serious? The real Ken Dodd's name is mud throughout the courier world. :suspicious:

Mike George
I used to be somebody

Postby MACK » Friday 8 February 2013, 16:27

Mike George wrote:
MACK wrote:Are you joking ! ? The real Jezza wont stand for this does he know ! ?

Are you serious? The real Ken Dodd's name is mud throughout the courier world. :suspicious:

I was just saying I remembered him thats all . Just hope I dont end up on his list by being part of your site
MACK

Postby Darren » Friday 8 February 2013, 19:24

MACK wrote:
Mike George wrote:

I was just saying I remembered him thats all . Just hope I dont end up on his list by being part of your site

List :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby MK BIKER » Friday 8 February 2013, 20:29

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MK BIKER

Postby AlunL » Friday 8 February 2013, 21:04

How do I apply to get on his list? Has he got a little black book aka Citizen Smith?
Alpact Couriers & Motorcycle Movers - Ring Alun on 07770 642913
info@wemovebikesandquads.co.uk
http://wemovebikesandquads.co.uk/
AlunL
Resident Gestapo

Postby Darren » Friday 8 February 2013, 21:20

AlunL wrote:How do I apply to get on his list? Has he got a little black book aka Citizen Smith?

More like the Captured German officer on Dads Army :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby MACK » Friday 8 February 2013, 21:45

You guys may laugh but its not his list Its the South Wests blacklist of subbies that say too much on the internet and some people can just put you on it and it shared around so Im not looking for any trouble . They all know each other all in with each other with loyalties for each other
MACK

Postby MK BIKER » Friday 8 February 2013, 22:51

You know the moon landings were real don't you?
MK BIKER

Postby Darren » Friday 8 February 2013, 23:53

MK BIKER wrote:You know the moon landings were real don't you?

Is it Really ?????
Darren
Poster Roller

Postby bramble43 » Saturday 9 February 2013, 01:47

MACK wrote:You guys may laugh but its not his list Its the South Wests blacklist of subbies that say too much on the internet and some people can just put you on it and it shared around so Im not looking for any trouble . They all know each other all in with each other with loyalties for each other

Is this the list of subbies that get paid or the ones that don't get paid?

Is it a different list? Is there really a south west subbies that we can turn over list and if you annoy them enough they don't give you any work that they don't pay you for?
I'll have some of the don't give me work therefore I don't get turned over thing.
Motorcycle courier, same day / direct / timed, Nationwide and across Europe - Contact details on profile. Call or text for a quote.
bramble43
Site owner

Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Next

Return to Random Banter