A heads up for new owner drivers

General chat, news, views, jokes, moans, questions and anything else that doesn't fit on the other forums.

Re: A heads up for new owner drivers

Postby Mike George » Saturday 9 February 2013, 05:47

Surely if there was a South West Blacklist it would be very short and Mr Hawke would be the only one on it? :confused:

I am an ex-owner driver and I run Shed 5 exchange for couriers
Shed 5 is the best-value exchange: join for £25, stay for free!
Mike George
I used to be somebody

Postby MACK » Saturday 9 February 2013, 07:33

This whole industry is one massive carve up unless your at the top of the chain or have the gift of the gab thats why I stay with the big company at least the give me a letter a few weeks before they stitch me up.
Our man in question has a bunch of guys working for him he has contacts going back decades the few companies in the South West the owners are all mates yes somebody in this industry for about 25 years catches a couple of bad years it may have an effect on a few forum members but in the big picture he is running strong again as far as I know . Im careful you never know who the person dishing out my work is at Exeter chiefs with at home games . The biggest independent company in Somerset is only there because of one person giving him a goods start . If a lad in Exeter gets something he cant handle now he is up here giving it to the biggest freight company in Bristol .

Im careful I need to be I may need work one day and I wont risk doing down people on the internet . If I have a problem with anybody I would talk to them and Im guessing no one is doing that for what ever reason
No job to small .........but many too big
MACK

Postby Mike George » Saturday 9 February 2013, 08:40

I think you've been watching too many gangster films. :suspicious:

Mike George
I used to be somebody

Postby AlunL » Saturday 9 February 2013, 15:26

Darren wrote:
AlunL wrote:How do I apply to get on his list? Has he got a little black book aka Citizen Smith?

More like the Captured German officer on Dads Army :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't tell him Pike!
Alpact Couriers & Motorcycle Movers - Ring Alun on 07770 642913
info@wemovebikesandquads.co.uk
http://wemovebikesandquads.co.uk/
AlunL
Resident Gestapo

Postby Mike George » Tuesday 7 May 2013, 13:55

I've rejected three registrations to my site in the past two weeks from dodgy characters.

Normally it's only one every couple of months so this might mean the sharks are circling again, so be careful out there :wink:

Mike George
I used to be somebody

Postby Taz_Transport » Monday 13 May 2013, 10:45

Thanks for the advice very helpful to newbies like myself
Taz_Transport

Postby maverick » Tuesday 14 May 2013, 11:29

MACK wrote:This whole industry is one massive carve up unless your at the top of the chain or have the gift of the gab thats why I stay with the big company at least the give me a letter a few weeks before they stitch me up.
Our man in question has a bunch of guys working for him he has contacts going back decades the few companies in the South West the owners are all mates yes somebody in this industry for about 25 years catches a couple of bad years it may have an effect on a few forum members but in the big picture he is running strong again as far as I know . Im careful you never know who the person dishing out my work is at Exeter chiefs with at home games . The biggest independent company in Somerset is only there because of one person giving him a goods start . If a lad in Exeter gets something he cant handle now he is up here giving it to the biggest freight company in Bristol .

Im careful I need to be I may need work one day and I wont risk doing down people on the internet . If I have a problem with anybody I would talk to them and Im guessing no one is doing that for what ever reason

And he still ended up shafting you :blahblah:
Loadandgo Light Haulage
Uk & Europe
www.loadandgohaulage.com
maverick

Postby MACK » Tuesday 14 May 2013, 12:44

maverick wrote:
MACK wrote:This whole industry is one massive carve up unless your at the top of the chain or have the gift of the gab thats why I stay with the big company at least the give me a letter a few weeks before they stitch me up.

And he still ended up shafting you :blahblah:

wrote me a cheque I will update you if Im allowed to spend it in due course !
but more annoyed with him than I am the other 3 that have not paid at all yet
Some people when they do business just turn nasty I don't understand it . Im not cut out to do what you guys do Im sticking with what I know from now on
No job to small .........but many too big
MACK

Postby warren » Tuesday 12 November 2013, 22:15

Mike George wrote:Here are some tips for new owner driver subbies, to help you avoid the bad payers.

First let me say that the vast majority of couriers you do jobs for are honest and you don't have to worry about whether you will get paid (although some do take their time). But there are a few crooks around who run up big subby bills and then go pop, leaving a load of people in the lurch, and they often start up again with a new name the following week.

The simplest and most important thing you can do to protect yourself is to do some basic credit control - decide how much debt you will let a courier company run up without paying you, and stick to it. Set a realistic level so if you don't get paid it will be annoying but won't break you. Get full names and contact details, including invoice name and address.

If it looks like you will be doing a lot of work for somebody you should check them out to make sure they are on the level. I find a good place to start is http://www.companycheck.co.uk, where you can get basic information about limited companies and their directors. Even if the business isn't a limited company you might find they were previously trading with a similar name as a limited company (like Joe Bloggs Couriers Ltd, when the new business is called Joe Bloggs Couriers). You can check whether specific people are directors, or if they have previously been directors, on the same site.

To get more official records about a limited company go to http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk and search active and dissolved companies. Look for similar names that can indicate serial phoenix companies (like Super Courier Ltd, Super Courier (UK) Ltd, Super Courier (North) Ltd, etc). If you find the company click on the link "order information on this company" which will take you to a page of the complete history of the company. The "current appointments" report is free and shows who the current directors and secretary are. The other documents listed are only £1 each and might be worth reading if you see any mentions of "strike off" or a lot of changes of address or directors.

Some other simple checks you can do are to Google their phone numbers and email addresses, and their postcode, which sometimes show up multiple business names using the same contact details.

Some people like to get credit reports but I don't think they're worth bothering with.

If you start doing jobs for somebody there are a few things that should set the alarm bells ringing, such as:
- very quick payment for a few jobs, then delays and excuses
- they answer the phone with a different business name
- you get emails from addresses which don't match their business name
- they ask you to invoice a different company name, or use a different address

It's not always easy to check people out, especially if you take work from strangers while you're out on the road, but if you intend to do more work for them you should do it as soon as you can. If you're a member of an exchange you still have to take responsibility for your own checking, but you should also ask the exchange owners what checking they do to help avoid the bad guys.

thanks for sharing info,every wee bit helps when you go it alone,I have been used to my ex boss doing this side of the worrying....thanks Mike......Warren
warren

Postby chefymon » Monday 10 February 2014, 10:31

Hi I'm new to this. Used to be a taxi driver and fancied a change. Fed up of drunks shouting abuse at you cos there fare is more than usual hey its after 12 you pay more but they still don't get it. And then there's the old dears with 10 shopping bags. Sat in a que of 8 cars for over an hour just to get a job at asda load up car for the OAP then to find she lives round the corner £2.40 fare no tip. So anyone thinking moving to this forget it. My car rent radio rent etc was 275 a week. I used to do 200 on a Saturday 8am til 430 am bare in mind but last 2 years barely over a hundred. I was working 80 hours s week towards the end and only just managed to pay my rent on car fuel etc and maybe had 50 quid left over. So here I am self employed courier but working for a national company same day delivery hope its better
chefymon

Postby IRMA777 » Monday 10 February 2014, 19:05

:confused: Which national :?:
IRMA777

Postby peterharveyhampshire » Wednesday 18 June 2014, 16:48

I worked for one same day company in Chichester in may to November 2011 one day in july went out to do a job came back to the office and they'd moved in those 3 hours to Segensworth Fareham and changed names then started paying by cheque which was :censored: inconvenient :evil:
I moved to another well established firm that paid more
The phoenix company went under again but has restarted again in west sussex still the same person behind it
If you want company names pm me
To many parcels not enough hours in the day
peterharveyhampshire

Postby Matthew1983 » Thursday 12 March 2015, 16:01

great advice, i've heard horror stories of people not getting paid.. feel sorry for all the Citylink guys didn't see that coming!
Matthew1983

Postby daz2829 » Tuesday 19 May 2015, 14:19

I'm a new driver and have been stung a couple of times already. I have used the websites bee a courier and had some good work. Just watch out for those who promise you the world.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
daz2829

Postby P.Arnold » Tuesday 4 August 2015, 05:14

Thanks for the tip Mike very useful. I am trying to start out as a owner driver so anytips are useful ::D:
P.Arnold

Postby Moses Garcia » Friday 25 September 2015, 02:10

Hi

Please can anybody tell me anything about cx, signing up how much work one gets, is it worth joining up or is shed5 better.

Moses Garcia
Moses Garcia

Postby sana34 » Saturday 25 November 2017, 15:05

Thank you.

Really helpful.

Kind Regards,
Sana Meer
https://www.apex-removals.co.uk/branch/reading/
sana34

Previous

Return to Random Banter